Popham - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2002, 08:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Thumbs up Popham

Got down to Popham Beach by the fort at about 7 pm last evening with my brother and had a ball. Hooked about 25 fish, landed 18 - 16" to 30" . We each hooked into a cow that took us right into the backing but lost them in the surf. Things are finally picking up. It's been so cold and rainy that everything is off. There have been some big fish taken in Winslow at the 1st impoundment on the Kennebec but flows have been so high and access is limited so just the popper chuckers are the only guys who can do anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2002, 09:16 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Gives me memories of my stint at BIW, getting out to Popham whenever I could. I'll bet the sand structures are all different by now.

Also loved how the salt inlets around Orr's, Baileys, etc. looked just like northerm lakes with pines right to the edge, and big stripers cruising the shore.

Great spot, keep us informed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2002, 10:08 AM
Fly chucker

Thanks, Chris. That's some good info. I'll be spending some time with my family at least twice this summer, and my dad and I hit the salt anywhere from the Saco to the Kennebec. It's nice to know that they've turned on up there.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:52 AM
President of CAC

Chris... what a great night... great report and nice fish.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:45 PM
Recent Member

Send a message via AIM to troutdude
Wow Chris, it sounds like You and Drew had a great time! Been real busy this spring but I hope to fish with you guys soon. Soon to enter the ranks of the unemployed as my place of employment is soon to close due to a corporate purchase. LOOKS LIKE I WILL HAVE THE SUMMER OFF !! I should have plenty of time to fish-- along with painting the house, roofing the barn, finishing remodeling the kitchen, etc. Most of all STRIPER FISHING!! See you soon
Old 06-23-2002, 09:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Went back to the fort on Friday night and Saturday afternoon. Friday had clouds of juvi herring. The bass were keyed in on them and I couldn't turn them with anything but 2" herring fly and then in seemed as if it was just luck that the fly was where the bass was inhaling. I did manage to hook and land a dozen fish between 22" and 28".

Saturday. We got there a dead low and hooked up with a fat 28"-er first cast. We then moved around the point to the spit of sand that forms a bowl betwen two islands. The bass were stacked up pinning bait against the bars. We worked ou way out onto one of the sand bars and each hooked up first cast and continued to hook up on nearly every cast for about an hour until we were chased off the sand bar by the surf. It was a hairy return to land as the tide was coming in fast and the swells were pretty high.
Sometimes the fishing can impair our better judgment. But we are safe to try it again.

Last edited by Chris; 06-23-2002 at 09:40 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.