Tube Flies Arrived - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2002, 06:09 PM

Tube Flies Arrived

Fred,

Your tube flies arrived today, very nice specimens to add to the arsenal of offerings.

Did you buy the components or make them your self ?

If you bought them who was it from ?

Nice and simple ties, can't wait to give them a swim.

Best

Hal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2002, 06:47 PM

All 'home grown' stuff.

The tube material came from a model airplane store, the hook holder plastic is tropical fish tank air tubeing, etc. That's one of the things I like about "Otis Bugs" is they're simple as all heck and account for a lot of summer runs.

Keep me posted on their effectiveness on the PM.
fe
Old 06-17-2002, 07:46 PM

Yes agree, "Simple is Better" go with complex solution only when absolutely needed and have back up plan in case of failure.

Have to try another hobby shop, my local one does not have the right tubes. I bought some metal tubes and a tube cutter from them two months ago but never got it all together. Oh well it is another fly fishing challenge for me to conquer.

Thats whats great about tying your own flies there is always some new technique to try and master.

These will be used soon but not on PM. Thanks again.

Hal
Old 06-17-2002, 09:58 PM

One important thing to do when you cut your own tubes,

is to use a very small (they have them at the model shops) to ream/smooth out both ends of the cut tube. The cutting process always leaves sharp edges/burrs which will abraid your leader. With tube materials above 3/32 you can also line them with plastic Q-tip bodies.

Just cut about a 1/4"longer than the tube, insert a mandrel and run over a hot light bulb or above a flame to soften, then mush to flare out the plastic.

fe
Forgot to add: I can get all this stuff about 3 blocks from the office. If you want me to pick this stuff for you let me know.
fe
Old 06-19-2002, 10:53 AM

Fred,

Thanks I bought a tube cutter, some hard plastic and metal tubes from the hobby shop. Don't have the plastic tubing inserts for the metal tubes yet. Did buy a file to round off the edges on the metal tubes.

Need to give it another try. Will start with the plastic tubes and tie some using yours as proto types.

Hal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.