Trying to get the wife into it. - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2002, 04:31 PM
Here fishy, fishy, fishy!

Send a message via AIM to Stone Send a message via Yahoo to Stone
Trying to get the wife into it.

I have been trying to get it in her head that she wants to at least try to go out fishing with me (hell, my 2 year old daughter likes to go - but she needs constant attention, so I do the worm and bobber thing with her)

Anyway, my last attempt to get the wife to join me went something like this:

me - "You know, honey, anytime you want to go out with me to a lake or river, I will do whatever I have to to make it happen"

wife - "I can't go fishing, it just seems so cruel when you think about it. The poor fish is just trying to get a bite to eat, and then gets pulled all over creation by the lip, hoisted out of the water, a flash from your camera and then thrown back in... can you imagine it being reversed?"

me - "reversed, yeah right! Anyway, if it wasn't for me fishing, that fish would probably not be alive. almost all of the native trout in NH are not here anymore. Everything just about comes from the hatcheries, which I PAY for with my license each year. And the only reason they are bred is to be put in the water to get a hook in their mouth.
So, if it wasn't for me he never would have existed. That is a whole hell of a lot better than getting a hook in the mouth. Also, I catch and release, he could have a much worse fate than that!"

wife - "You are a twisted _)&*(^, you know that?"

me - "Maybe, but will you go fishing now?"

wife - funny look - "no."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2002, 05:42 PM
Recent Member

GOOD LUCK! Sounds like you have your work cut out for ya!

Guess I'm lucky, I just had to get my wife to try it once and she was hooked.
Old 06-17-2002, 06:07 PM
LBFF Mojo

Well you may be in a no win situation. We do practice a blood sport no matter how we try to sugar coat it with C&R , barbless hooks, blah blah blah.

I am able to weigh the good and bad and morally have no problem with it but that is not the case with everyone. My finacee for one will not fish. She is a vegetarian and thinks the fishies should be left alone.

I have given up trying to convert her but still like to have her along with me. She likes to get out and explore the beach while I am fishing and takes pictures. She also enjoys being out in a boat with me or hiking into mountain lakes for the scenery.

She may not be fishing with me but she still enjoys some aspects of fishing like I do. Namely getting away for a day and enjoying the outdoors.

works for me and no tailing loops and line tangles to help undo. I have enough of those myself to keep me plenty busy.

-sean
Old 06-17-2002, 08:05 PM

Good luck Stone,

I know exactly where you are. I've been there. The key is your daughter, just keep it fun and she will want to go with you and you'll be able to go anytime you take her. Two is a bit young for you to actually fish but my oldest is six, and I can sneak in a few casts now & then. Hopefully both of our wifes will want to come some day.

And you didn't even talk about having to admit her weight to get a license.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:22 PM
Marine Scientist

Yeah, same feeling here. My wife has no interest in going fishing, though she'll sit in the truck in a shady spot and read a book while I go out and cast for a couple of hours. I've offered to get her a nice camera so she can take up photography as a hobby (which would, of course, necessitate that she come along with me on outings to take photos of the beautiful landscapes, hence enabling me to get out on the water more often), but she says, "Do you know how much that camera you want costs?"
"Yeah, $260, why?"
"We're not paying that for a camera! We have other things to save for."
in my mind, thinking, "Yeah, like another new rod, and by the way would you care to know what my last reel cost?", but I wisely keep those thoughts to myself.
My one hope is that my kids (which are as of yet to be conceived) are fishing nuts like I was when I was little. Until then, I have to settle for the occasional read-in-the-truck deal, but I'll take what I can get.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:49 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16

or do what I do...just search for one that already has the bug or is dying to learn.

They are out there...although they tend to be a little older then 21...but they are also tough to find. Hence the reason I spend more time at home then 'out'...I guess I am just to picky!!

Had my chance with one that was dying to learn to flyfish but for other reasons that did not work out. Which was followed by a girl that thought fishing was oh so cruel and was a member of PETA...needless to say, that didnt work out!!!
Old 06-18-2002, 07:11 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

My wife told me she was going to start flyfishing with me before this season started last winter. I reminded her a few times, and she said if I ever mention it again she won't. ArrrRRgggGGGG!!!

Someday...
Old 06-18-2002, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Two is a bit young for you to actually fish...
Yup, but the fact that she enjoyed being out with Dad at two is GREAT!

BTW, she saw the clunker of a spinning rod I have (the one I use when I go with her, and that is the ONLY time it doesn't collect dust) and she threw a hissy fit because she wanted to go fishing!

I just smiled. It was too late to go out, but next time I want to get out of the house, you can guarranty that thing will be just lying around somewhere to catch her eye!

:hehe:
Old 06-18-2002, 08:18 AM

I fish to get away from my wife.
Old 06-18-2002, 08:27 AM

Stone, I agree with you. A childs enjoying going fishing with you is priceless. I figure if I can keep the kids interested eventually she will come along, if only to take pictures.
Old 06-18-2002, 08:37 AM
Fly chucker

I guess that I should continue to count my blessings. My wife fishes, but not nearly as much as I do. But because she does, she understands where my passion for the sport comes from, and that goes a looooooong way.

She likes to tie flies (nymphs are her current specialty) and see me catch fish on them. She likes to take pics of me out in the places that we fish. And she likes to catch a few herself. She's awfully cute when she starts talking to the fish that she's trying to catch.

We recently had our one year anniversary. My gift to her was a 5 wt flyrod and reel combo. I hadn't received a reaction like that to a gift since I gave her the engagement ring nearly three years ago. She's already caught many sunfish on it, and looks forward to getting more.

I'm not saying that we always go fishing together; in fact, many times I go fishing to spend time by myself. But when she does come along it's rewarding to see her develop as an angler in her own right. And like I said before, her development as an angler helps her understand my desire to fish long hours by myself or "with the guys".
Old 06-18-2002, 12:32 PM

punch line

my buddy simply rolls over and says, "Sex or fishing?"

She always answers the same way: "Take a sweater."
Old 06-18-2002, 02:09 PM
_

My girlfriend didn't fish when we first started seeing each other. I warned her at the outset that I was a fisherman, and that I spend long hours on the water at all times of the day and night. She said, "Well, I guess you'll just have to teach me how to fish!" Now she's got her own spinning rod and some lures and will come out with me once in a while when the weather is nice. She doesn't like to fish for more than a couple hours at a time, so she usually takes her own car so that she can leave when she wants. I haven't been able to convince her to try fly fishing yet, but I'm working on it!

Q
Old 06-18-2002, 02:21 PM

Quote:
punch line

So the question is, which would HE prefer?
Old 06-18-2002, 02:31 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Re: punch line

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprocket

I must have some SKILLS, because for me, she always answers with the 'other' choice!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.