That's "MR KING" to you! What a moring!! - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2002, 02:43 PM

That's "MR KING" to you! What a moring!!

First to Hal, ST69 and Willie Gun. All of your do's did it this morning. 5 Kings on, landed 3 ... # 5, the largest (on a Blue/Pink bunnie from Mr. 69) weighed in at 26.5 pounds (cleaned AND beheaded!!) on my bathroom scale.

What a way to spend Father's Day Morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2002, 02:58 PM

Well Done Fred

Fred,
You make me jealous green with envy. I spent all week on the Brora for 1 grilse 4lb in weight. I landed it on my single handed Sage 1073 at 00:30 it was fun, the fish was all over the pool in the near dark. (pretty far north so it stays lightish all night just now)
I fished with my new Sage, the birthday present one it casts a 8 weight silk line like a dream the water was very very low, if it rose 6" the gauge would have read 0. The silk line is very fine at the tip as the low water makes the fish very jumpy.

Malcolm

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 06-16-2002, 03:56 PM

Silk line on the 7136, very cool!

Are you using it as a floater? If so how do you keep it 'floating?'fe
Old 06-16-2002, 04:10 PM

Silk lines

Fred,
Wealth warning silk lines cost more money than you can think of.

I use it as a floater/ sunktip. I leave the last 13ft ungreased. The only pain is stripping it off the reel when you finish fishing to let it dry. Then in the morning grease up and away you go. Lunch time strip line off reel allow to dry grease up and away again for the aftrernoon. Same again at tea time ready for the evening, we require dedication to catch fish in Scotland, none of this 3 in a morning stuff.

It is the fineness of the line that realy appeals. I have just ordered 2 more so I can have on drying whilst I fish the other. This is why lines were double tapered I am led to believe. You reversed the line when it got to wet to fish with and kept sinking. I use forward tapers as I cancast them better. They also last forever and do not wear out if looked after.

Malcolm

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 06-16-2002, 04:11 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Congrats!!!!!!!!!

And people always doubted my leeches too. Thanks Fred for helping me prove they work. Comes better from an impartial.

Hmmmm, I'm trying to remember which bunny I sent you in blue/pink. I tie up a couple different in that combo. You'll have to send me a picture of the leech so I know which one. Was it the one with a blue collar like fox hair with pink bunny strip, or a full body pink with a schlappen type hackle near eye? Hmmm. damned, I tie too many flies, trying to think which I send. :eyecrazy:
Old 06-16-2002, 05:15 PM

Congratulations, did you catch one on my flies, if so which one ?

I will tie up some more for you.

Hal
Old 06-16-2002, 09:00 PM

Hal, St69 (and I've really got to know your real name..

The first two were on Hal's lime green/black toping. Dummy here didn't replace the tipett section of the leader so #2 broke off at a knot between 20/15# leader. Had to be a gooooood sized fish.

#3 and 4 were on Willie Guns from Malcom. First fish was about 18-20# on the beach and released; second fish just blew 15# freash maxima main line ..... and I tie good knots. Who knows the size of that fish.

#5, and the "keeper" (God saying you're to take one home today?) was '69's' Blue/pink bunnie. No Shlap. on this one.

Only prob. was I'm just short of a mile away from the car ....

String Mr. King in the water, walk back to car, get rid of rod/vest/et. al. walk back clean fish and back to car with 'Baby in arms.' By 1pm I'm shot, pooped, and Doggie say "can we go home now????

'Great Flys' and Damn!!! do they work.
Old 06-16-2002, 09:24 PM

OK, I know which one that was. Yep chinooks out here in great lakes love that chartreuse and black combination. Thats the one I tied with Eztaz cactus chenille.

Did you every order any from that URL ?

Very cool

Old 06-16-2002, 09:50 PM

Hal, not yet ... expecting to 'mooch' off of you.

Tie and send a couple more.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:40 AM

I'm sure the flies were great, Fred, but don't sell yourself short. The presentation is much more important. Well done!
Old 06-17-2002, 01:04 PM

Eugene, I wish I could take credit for this one ..

but I was the only guy on the bank on close to a mile stretch of water. One guide boat above me and that was that. Large number of fish moved in while I was there and it was one of those mornings were "even a blind pig could find an acorn."

The fish were rolling all over the water in front of me so it was just a matter of time before I 'pi....ed' someone off enough to get him to CHOMP The fun part was I even hooked two of the fish (the first two) on a 9wt sage using the new SA line and about an 18' leader. First on the beach and released, the second one popped the leader.

As I said earlier the only problem was the car was close to a mile up river. Easy walk but the size of the 'keeper' required an extra round trip ... or a pack board to haul him out.
fe
Old 06-17-2002, 01:17 PM

Fred,

Of course I will immediatedly send via air express a dozen more "Assassin" patterns to the grand spey meister spring salmon slayer of the legendary Rouge River.

However, I first must get more chartreuse cactus chenillie which I am out of and have not been able to get to the fly shop last few weeks due to work.

:hehe:
Old 06-17-2002, 02:51 PM

Hal, I shall sit quitely here on my golden throne,

awaiting gifts from my subjects.:hehe:

Checked out my local fly shops Sunday on the way home and no such colour available here in Medford. Very Chartruse, etc., but not that lime green killer stuff.
fe
Old 06-17-2002, 03:03 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

Unhappy Using the 9150 for Chinook???

Hey Fred,

When I sold that rod, I promised it that it was going to a "good home". Now i hear all this about Chinook!! :eyecrazy:

That's what I thought you bought that Dragon-Slayer 18' spey rod for!

Definitely *Congrats* - those Chinook are a tough fish on a fly rod!

DS
Old 06-17-2002, 04:08 PM

Yep, Chinooks are so tough on the fly rod I gave up fishing for them as much as I used to 10-20 years ago. Fred, you must be one grand master on that spey rod to land a 25 LB silver king by yourself. I think my best is around 27 LBs, not sure released two that were up in that range for the very reason you stated in your post. I did not want to carry that heavy of a fish a mile or more through the woods and up and down the Michigan clay banks by myself. Plus they were wild chinooks.

I have carried them many times and it can be a killer on old guys like us. Heck it was hard 20 years ago when I was in my 30s !

Now we are just old king salmon fly fisherman.

:hehe: :hehe:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.