Fly Fishing Quotes - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-16-2002, 09:47 AM

Fly Fishing Quotes

Quote:
"Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito bitten, but never with a fly rod in my hand, have I been unhappy"
Charles Kuralt - 1996, the year before he died on July 4, 1997.

One of my favorite quotes, imagine all of the areas of America Mr. Kuralt got to fly fish when doing the 600+ " Sunday Morning "On the Road", shows in which he traveled through rural America showing us the different rural life styles of which America's land mass primarily consists of.

Would of loved to have spent one day fly fishing with this gentlemen thats for sure.

Lets hear other's favorite fly fishing quotes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2002, 10:15 AM
CND The Spey Underground

John McGuane

Without finding the book, here are a couple of my favourites...

"I fish all the time when I'm around home, so when I go on holiday I try to fish as much as I can."

And, "The trout don't rise in Greenwell Cemetary"

Still Living Large!
Old 06-16-2002, 03:59 PM
Marine Scientist

I like this thread!
"Fly fishing is such great fun, I have often felt, that it really ought to be done in bed."
- Robert Traver (whose real name escapes me), 1974
and...
"(Yellow perch are) too good for any but anglers, or very honest men."
- Izaak Walton, on the topic of eating yellow perch, which IMHO are the best tasting freshwater fish on the planet.
Old 06-16-2002, 05:18 PM

Yellow perch are good but I think walleye are the best at least for north american fresh water fish.

Don't have a quote to support this though just past eating experiences.
Old 06-16-2002, 09:05 PM

HalMeister,it's time to retire and move to

Southern Oregon.

Life, as it should be lived, awaits you.
fe
Old 06-16-2002, 09:20 PM

I bet Charles Kuralt did a "On the Road" show on Medford, Oregon or something close by there.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to jborkowski
Re: Fly Fishing Quotes

pm,

happy to see the kuralt reference. i grew up on "Sunday Morning". it was my religion really. never missed it. it is by far the best "news" show on tv. if not the best show on tv period. given the amount of tv the average american watches daily/weekly, i am amazed the number of people who have never even heard of the show, let alone seen it. i'm convinced the world would be a better place if every sunday at 9am every human were required to tune into CBS. anyway, i digress...

kuralt was clearly a genius...with a few screws loose...but a genius nonetheless. a gifted storyteller who would have been interesting to fish with no doubt. incidentally, i think a day on the water with bill geist would be a whole lot of fun too.

i suppose i owe you a quote. hmmmmmm.....after all my long-windedness, i'm not sure i have any fishing specific quotes to share. go figure. the quote that comes to mind is something more general i try to live by which is:

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but a great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude."

Oh! hold on, I suppose this one is a little more relevant to fishing (or at least my flyfishing experiences )

"There is only one thing about which I am certain, and that is that there is very little about which one can be certain."

Thanks again for the reminder.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:50 PM

Great, ! whose was the solitude quote ?

Here is one of my favorite Ernest Schwiebert quotes from his story "Where flows the Umpqua" - 1979

"Steelhead are lying in the silken flow, elusive shadows as brightly polished as a wedding spoon. Its summer run fish are like rare jewels in its velvet pools, drifting like ghosts in its currents, hovering in shafts of sunlight and spume.

We are precious and we are few. Their restless liturgies are a half remembered whisper on the wind. We are coming home, seeking the swift riffles of our birth -- catch us if you can !"

Hope you don't get the steelhead obsession because once you do it is hard to fish for anything else, if you know they are around and you have a chance. But what a great challenge and fun the pursuit is !

Hal
Old 06-28-2002, 07:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to jborkowski
Solitude quote is by Emerson (Ralph Waldo).
Old 06-28-2002, 10:21 AM

Didn't I just read this quote on another thread here? I copied it recently:

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope"

John Buchan

Buchan (later Lord Tweedsmuir) was Governor General of Canada and the author of some wonderful adventure stories that include fishing and stalking in the Scottish highlands--Huntingtower, The Thirty-nine Steps, etc., etc. Great summer reading.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:40 PM

It's not from literature but I still love it (and thankfully have not had to say it this year[knocking wood]):

"Fishing was so slow, I saw a dead skate and thought about trying to hook it just to feel the weight of a fish - but the way I've been breaking rods this year, I decided not to try."

this was posted last year on FFSW.com, never forgot it.

credits to Eric R.
Old 06-30-2002, 06:52 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thread killer! :hehe:
Old 12-09-2002, 04:10 PM

A River Never Sleeps - R.H. Brown

Time to resurrect this thread

This is the time of the year I start pulling out my fly fishing literature books and read some of the classic stories I have grown to love over the years. Heres one by R.H. Brown from the above book:

" I don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel. But I do know that if it were not for the strong quick life of rivers, for their sparkle in the sun shine, for the cold grayness of them under rain, and the feel of them about my legs as I set my foot down hard on rocks or sand or gravel, I should fish less often. A river is never quite silent. It can never, of its very nature be quite still, it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and are beautiful also. Perhaps fishing, is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers. If so I'm glad I though of it"

Looking forward to some of your favorites.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:22 PM
Chief of E.P.

It is good to remember that more steelhead will be caught on a hunk of yarn than on the fanciest fly ever tied.
-- Roderick Haig-Brown

I like it as I think it keeps things in perspective.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:23 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

"When I was young and single, I used to think of all the sex I was missing so I could get my fishing time in. Then when I grew up and got married, I used to think of all the fishing I was missing just so I could get a little sex. Now that I am older, all I can say is that the fishing's still great." - The "Shadow", circa 1988 on a river in Washington State.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.