The Steelheader hits the surf - 14 days ... and counting. - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2002, 12:24 AM
CND The Spey Underground

The Steelheader hits the surf - 14 days ... and counting.

The time has come the Walrus said...

For so long it seemed that it would never happen, but its now upon us! On June 29th it's onto the big bird and off to Boston. I can't wait to see Juro on his turf, I had him on mine a couple of years ago (see the Living Large Chronicles I&II ), now I'm sure I'll get repayed in spades! This is in fact my wife Sandi and my 25th Anniversary trip - but fishing is definitely the focus of the 10 days on the Cape - time in Boston and New York on either end of the trip will cover the cultural part of the deal!

After a few nights in Boston with Juro it is down to the Cape on July 4th and a much awaited stay at Area 61 with Penguin. We are psyched as Area 61 seems to be our kind of place! I hope to meet many of the Forum members, it will be great to finally put faces to the names I've come to know after all these months of lurking on the Striper board.

The fishing has me intrigued, I've never done anything like it and the anticipation is killing me. I've tied flies, I've read every post and article I could lay my hands on. All my gear is packed (I've even got the Speyrod ready) - now all I have to do is wait 14 more days ... then we can talk of many things!

Still Living Large!

Last edited by kush; 06-16-2002 at 04:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2002, 10:17 AM

Good Luck

Kush,

I am sure you will find the Cape and Boston very enjoyable and historical for you and your wifes anniversary. I spent a lot of time in those areas when I lived on the east coast, before I moved to the Chicago area in 1979.

One thing for sure make sure you have some good sun screens, as the ultraviolet rays are stronger when you are fishing in salt water and walking beaches etc. You get a sun burn faster in saltwater than fresh water bodies of water. I have experienced both and salt water is the winner.

Perhaps Juro will take you to the "Olde Union Oyster House" in Beantown ? One of my favorite restaurants in America, very historical, great atmosphere and sea food. First place I head when I arrive in Boston for business or pleasure.

Have a safe trip

Hal

P.S. Fenway Park is a must see if you are a base ball fan, just walk around it, to see how small and old it is.
Old 06-16-2002, 06:29 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Kush -

Per our many long distance phone conversations, emails, PM's, anticipations, preparations, arrangements, ideas, fly patterns discussions, etc, etc, etc - I'll go as far as to say that it will exceed even your already high level of expectations!

The gang here in the northeast is really AMAZING. As we spent a day today on a beautiful beach with the Big Brother Association kids and brothers, there was a sense of solidarity that was no less than when we all stood on the southernmost tip of South Monomoy Island, or when we gathered at the Anchorage at the Cove for our first trip of spring barbeque dinner. I hope you get to meet as many of your FORUM brothers as possible during your stay.

As far as the striped friends... we've gotcha covered there too!
Old 06-16-2002, 11:49 PM
President of CAC

Looking forward to seeing you and PM is right about the "Union Oyster House" and the old Oyster bar. You will have to stop in at CAC..... I insist.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:04 AM

Thumbs up

Hope someone will buy Kush a peach basket full of steamers. These West coast guys are clueless when it comes to small sized clams to steam. Lots of melted butta too!
Old 06-17-2002, 11:14 AM

Please don't mention steamers any more, I really miss them.

Can't find them any wheres in the upper mid west like back east.

Been 2 years now since I have been back east and had them
Old 06-17-2002, 12:01 PM
CND The Spey Underground

Ahhh...Steamers.

During the summer, between guiding trips to the Queen Charlotte Islands we have our trailer down in Birch Bay Wa., which is between Blaine and Bellingham. In years when there is no red tide we feast on these little babies along with endless Dungeness crab! Unfortunately, last year was a wipeout on the clam front due to red tide, so we will be looking forward to the East Coast version of my favourite seafood!!!

Still Living Large!
Old 06-17-2002, 12:10 PM
President of CAC

You know Tyler.... we can always pause on a flat and dig up a dozen to take home as a snack...done that before.... not a commercial enterprise, just a pocket full does it also.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:15 PM

Thumbs up

Kush,
If someone asks you if you want steamars or lobsta, take the steamars. Better yet take both. As good as our west coast steamers are they in no way compare with the east coast steamar. They take a little more work to eat because ya got to peel the neck skin off. Best way to eat them is peel a couple dozen at a time, let sit in a cup of melted butta. Take 3 or 4 out of cup at a time with a fork and eat. The butta will be runing down your chin but that's what they make long sleeved shirts for.
Have fun.
OC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.