Fly Guide Drowns on the Vineyard - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2002, 01:38 PM
President of CAC

Fly Guide Drowns on the Vineyard

A late night fly outing turns bad...see full story at http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/update/index.htm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2002, 01:51 PM

Terrible

Very sad to read that. Should act as a little reminder to all of us to be safe so we can make it home to our families.
Old 06-14-2002, 03:19 PM

Truly a tradgedy. For those of you that frequent stripersonline as well, Ken's screen name was 10x10. I only knew him online, but he was a great guy. He'll be sorely missed.

-Matt
Old 06-14-2002, 03:30 PM
President of CAC

Oh man, I remember him ,he was on the FFSW board wasn't he? I remember him being the Vinyard guy... I had a feeling the person was somewhere on the web that we check into. This is an edit...just checked FFSW and Mark Sedotti indicated that he had just seen and spoken to him yesterday....

Last edited by striblue; 06-14-2002 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2002, 06:27 PM

We've had a series of recreational fisherman drownings lately. Thoughts and prayers to all the families.
I'm getting spooked. Time to reevalute our safety measures. PFD's, compass on the flats, water- whatever it is you need to be doing to be safe. Are you acting within your limits?

Lefty
Old 06-14-2002, 07:50 PM

Yes thats tragic and a reminder that you must be very careful wading or boating any water. We had two occurences this spring. One a small skiff on Lake Michigan of coho fisherman they went out, wind came up, something happened they did not find their bodies for a several weeks in the big lake.

Few weeks ago a river fisherman got to close to the dams turbines during high water, his small boat was sucked in the high flow. They found the boat but not him the last I heard. I have been in the same location and this river is very strong in high water.

Be careful.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:39 AM
Here fishy fishy

Truly tragic. That he was ultimately found only 150 yards from shore really underscores - for me at least - how dangerous our recreational pursuit can be. Sobering stuff.
Old 06-15-2002, 01:40 PM
Recent Member

link correction

the previously posted link didn't work for me, but this one does:
http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/flyguide15.htm
Old 06-16-2002, 06:07 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Tragic; our thoughts and sympathies are with his family this Father's Day.

Wading is a dangerous game at night, even during the day where shoreline structures create unexpected hazards. I hope everyone practices the utmost caution in their enjoyment of coastal fishing with tide changes, currents, and tracking paths.

GPS is a Godsend for those who risk wading where visual keys are obfuscated by darkness, fog, etc. Even when everything is perfectly visible, the knowledge of where the highpoints exist under the flooding flats is priceless when you have overstayed your welcome in the incoming flood.

Personal Flotation Devices would have changed the scenario significantly as well perhaps.

To avoid diluting this moment of respect and sympathy for a fallen fellow angler, I won't preach about wading safety any further but like others have pointed out in the posts above... please be careful out there!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.