Boston Harbor & South Shore Striper-6/11/02 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2002, 05:28 PM
Recent Member

Boston Harbor & South Shore Striper-6/11/02

BOSTON HARBOR & SOUTH SHORE-Stripers 6/11/02

Tuesday’s bass fishing in the outer-harbor was as good as it gets! Orvis ELOG Director, Bill Bullock of VT and avid fly-rodder, Steve Pensinger from Boston, MA had a once in a lifetime day with the long rod. A huge school of linesiders has been feed outside on herring and mackerel for the past two weeks. When they show, the fishing is fast and furious, as it was for the two lucky fly fishermen.

Most all the bass in the school were 24” and up. Tom Keer’s epoxy-head herring pattern was the ticket as an imitator for the bait fish.. 400 grain DepthCharge line on the 9 wgt. Tip-flex T-3’s got the presentations into the strike zone. These bass were healthy, fat fish, which fought hard in the relatively cold, 50 degree water. Bullock took his “personal-best” bass of 34 inches and 14 pounds on the herring fly. Steve’s 35 inch, 15 pound bass was the best landed for the day.

Both anglers landed double-digit numbers of keeper bass on the subsurface presentations. Switching to Floating Wonderline, the anglers cast surface presentations ---pink and white sliders and Strakele’s foam-head poppers in orange & white and yellow ---which produced great surface action. Squadrons of keeper bass could be seen following and competing for the surface poppers. The surface feeding blitz continued late into the flooding tide, dropping off around noon.

Steve sent an email after his afternoon siesta to say that when people asked him, “How many did you catch?” He replied, “I have no idea!”

Capt. Mike Bartlett
B-Fast Charters
www.bfastcharters.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mikes bass 017.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	547  
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2002, 06:20 PM

Mike,

Nice Report!

You wouldn't happen to a sample picture (or link) of "Tom Keer’s epoxy-head herring pattern" ??

GregO.
Old 06-12-2002, 06:53 PM

Mike,
I had the chance to test cast the T-3 in a 9wt while on the Vineyard this weekend. Even though it had a 10.0 'flex' rating it seemed significantly slower than previous rods that carried the 10.0 rating. BTW I thought it was an outstanding rod to cast. I was testing it in 20-30kt winds and it was tossing some serious line....
Your thoughts about Orvis 'shifting' thier ratings to a slower baseline?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2002, 08:49 PM
Recent Member

Flex-index

Hi Bob,

Good to hear from you. Re: Flex index It has not changed at all. The new T-3s are constructed from higher modulus graphite than any rod Orvis has previously produced. Further, the resin/binder cpmpletely encapsulates the graphite fibers resulting in a different feel than the previous TLs and a lighter, stronger rod. The Flex index is an electronically measured value iindicating where and how a given rod bends under a load. The rationale behind the numerical value is to foster uniformity in production. If a customer breaks his favorite salmon rod with a mid-flex index of 7.0, he can be assured that the repaired blank or new rod will feel same. I have used the T-3 extensively and find the feel is quite different compared to the previous generations of Tridents. The t-3s are proverbial cannons, able to punch tight-loops into the wind. Hope this has been of help.

Mike
Old 06-13-2002, 11:51 AM
BB5 Survivor

would you be willing to share the comparative fishing success of those people on the trip who were wearing orvis-endorsed boxers vs. the non-orvis variety?

It is precisely these crucial distinctions that will either make or break a fishing outing and I want to be sure to get it right on my
next foray....

(any chance we can get a "gag-me" smilie??)
Old 06-13-2002, 11:55 AM

Thanks Mike, I never tried the previous Tridents but have to say was impressed by the T-3's. Must say that they felt very smooth and powerful. Worth looking into.

Stay well, hope to see you OTW.

jared.

I agree that the whole orvis "package" can be a bit distracting with the pancake mix and dog beds. That said, I just participated in a fund-raising event for a kids camp program where they donated (conservativly) about 3k worth of equipment as prizes. I guess I prefer to focus on the things they do and products they offer that have value to me. ( I've always hated boxers anyway ). Thought mike gave a pretty even-handed reply to the question.

just my $ 0.02, your milage may vary.

Last edited by Bob Pink; 06-13-2002 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-13-2002, 12:58 PM
BB5 Survivor

Bob --

There are countless examples of philanthropic efforts by many
companies in the fishing/fly-fishing industry. Possibly Orvis ranks
among the leaders in that category -- I frankly do not know.

What inspired my tongue-in-cheek response was the rather over-hyped ad message in the original report. The report in question happened to come from an Orvis guide -- but might just have easily come from someone with a different endorsement package.

There was an hysterical reply to a similarly worded report over on Reel-Time. The follow-up poster inquired whether the same fish might not have been caught with a different type of sinking line, rod & reel.

I think fishing reports are excellent. They provide a variety of news/insights/etc. They are certainly a reasonable venue for guides to impress and/or find new clients...and (IMHO) guides should be ENCOURAGED to participate and post on any/all of the various boards that exist.

However, I find it a little patronizing to suggest that only by using Brand X line, Brand Y rod & Brand Z reel will someone catch fish. There would be much more validity and less overt commercialization if a post were to contain info along the following vein:

"We encountered the most success casting large herring patterns with 400 grain lines matched to 9 weight rods."

In any event, it is not a huge deal either way...just my 1/2 cents.

-jared
Old 06-13-2002, 02:24 PM

good point jared, you are right that the report need not be brand-laced but then again, I've never had a manufacturer offer to co-op my fishing experience by offering equipment at lower than retail. (Heck, I'd probably only attract hat and safety glasses manufacturers!)
Anyway to close the original question. It's interesting that the flex rating system can feel so different when in your hand....
Old 06-13-2002, 02:37 PM
BB5 Survivor

Bob --

I don't even know what flex-rating means (and PLEASE everyone, leave me in my blissful ignorance)!!

My thumb is still pretty useless, but am hopeful that taking this weekend off will help...maybe we can do a double-vessel assault next weekend? Sunday is my "free" day. Drop me a line if you'd like to get together.

--jared
Old 06-13-2002, 02:45 PM
BB5 Survivor

Bob --

I don't even know what flex-rating means (and PLEASE everyone, leave me in my blissful ignorance)!!

My thumb is still pretty useless, but am hopeful that taking this weekend off will help...maybe we can do a double-vessel assault next weekend? Sunday is my "free" day. Drop me a line if you'd like to get together.

--jared

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.