Circle hooks give them a try! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2002, 05:17 AM

Circle hooks give them a try!

Decided to give circle hooks a try, they work for me. All the stripers that I caught were hooked in the cornerof the mouth. FishHawk
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2002, 08:58 AM

Circle Hooks; earlier threads on them but I'm

still not sure how they differ from a 'regular hook.' Common comment has been they sure work! Anyone know why these buggers are so effective?
fe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2002, 10:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
The basic way these work are that because the bend of the point comes so far back on itself that it doesn't incidentally catch deep in the gullet of the fish. As the hook gets to the lips of the fish they kind of roll over exposing the point and driving it home. In my bait fishing days I loved them. There are very strict limits on stripers here in Maine and I hated nothing more than to see a gut hooked fish that had been released only to die a slow painful death.

I can't remember the last time I deep hooked a striper on a fly so I kind of feel it's a moot point, circle hook or not.
Old 06-11-2002, 10:29 AM
President of CAC

I agree with Chris... I will not use them because I have very raily deep hooked a striper using the conventional hooks... strip setting is part of hooking a fish with a fly rod and I am sure I would be pulling the fly from the mouth with that hook.
Old 06-12-2002, 04:51 AM

What really made me decided to try the circle hook was when I was prospecting deep channels. My catch rate has gone way up as the fish tend to hook themselves. People tell me they are great for tunoids.
FishHawk
Old 06-12-2002, 09:52 PM

I know circle hooks!

In my other life I use and have been doing so for at least 20 years nothing but circle hooks. They are a screw and that is how they work there way into the fish. It is also the way they come out of a fish when you release one. You secure the hook and give the fish a slight roll that reverses the direction of the Helical coil of the hook. What could be simpler. I have never tried them barbless but I have never seen the barb do much damage in that it is always in the soft tissue in the corner of the mouth and "never"anywhere else.
As to how they work in Fly Fishing they would be quite good at nymphing and other dead drift "bait fishing imitations" but I would be very suprised if they woul be worth a pinch of poop fishing bait fish imitations and fast moving swung streamers. As one who is mired in the traditions of the past I will continue to use and tie traditional fly patterns on standard hooks when in pusuit of fish with the fly rod. However when chasing Halibut and Black Cod for a living, anything goes, and that includes lots of circle hooks.
To be a little more specific the "C" hook works as the fish turns to swim away with its prey, the shape of the hook is helical,likea screw, a very effective little machine that always drills itself into the soft tissue in the corner of the mouth.
Hope this helps clear up some of the mysterys surrounding Circle hooks. I can not tell you how incredible it was to be in on the start of the use of these hooks in the ground fish fisheries in the Gulf of Alaska it was incredible and and still makes me feel lucky to have been there at the start.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.