MV C&R Tourney - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2002, 08:19 AM

MV C&R Tourney

Took Thursday and Friday to head over to the Vineyard with Mr. Pink to scout for the C&R tourney on Saturday night.

The one burning stream of sunlight as we drove off the ferry would be it for the next few days. The tough conditions of 35+ winds clocking from SW to NE to S over 3 days + rain + low temps forced us to leave the places that have always produced and use our gray matter to find fish. Thursday night we were again extremely fortunate to fish with Mark Plante, – Derby Winner in 2000, and a local friend of Mr. Pink’s. Mark has access to some private property that opened up a shoreline that let us see how the island was 100 – 200 years ago. As we faced the Elizabeth’s hooking up with STRONG fish, Mr. Pink wound up the top rod for the evening.

Friday the conditions were even worse, so bad that I bought my first salty spinning rod at Coops because I just didn’t see the conditions lightening up. We wound up that afternoon taking the manly tactic of not running & hiding in the lee of the island but instead going to the weather side. The day before the fish we briefly hooked into from Chappaquidick had migrated over to Edgartown and we found them that afternoon. Strong, big shouldered schoolies covered in sea-lice, a few feisty blues, stripers with colors ranging from violet to gold to a strong surface sheen of silver, screaming wind in your face, rain boring a hole into exposed flesh – it was a blast!

Saturday we took it early prepping for the tourney, fished our plan that evening & wound up chasing a tourney skunk (fish had to be over 20” to qualify – Mr. Pink had landed one that didn’t measure up). We dropped off the rest of the crew and since we 2 hours of left in the tourney, we headed over to Tashmoo. Ran into a few buddies on their way home who had finally hooked up there as well. The tip for the working fly was the opposite of what you would have used there at that time. A great tip & fun to finally chase off the skunk.

No celebratory drink that night as the spinning rod stealing bear had polished off the Vodka as well!

Winning big fish for the tourney, 37” long, 24 “ girth.
Most fish, something like 27 per person.

They were there, you just had to find them.

A great time, a great cause, Orvis, Coops Bait & Tackle and the Bear’s Den were all extremely generous sponsors as well as Nick’s fly boxes.

A great cause, the money raised send the MV HS culinary art students to a foreign country to study for a week, any $$ left over goes into the clubs kids trout tourney.

http://mvrodandgunclub.com/ for registration info for next year.

Old 06-10-2002, 11:15 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Roop,
Thanks for the update...I was curious how you and Bob were doing out there.

Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2002, 11:40 AM

Nice report Roop!

And welcome to the DARK SIDE.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:46 AM

Ssully - my friend the Bear used it first, second cast with Yozuri & he's into a big blue, lands a few more, I put down the fly rod & take a shot, 3rd cast gets me a nice schoolie.

I like it, feel free to give me any advice on what to buy (rubber, plugs) and where to find it.

Roop
Old 06-10-2002, 12:12 PM
President of CAC

Jeff...sorry I missed it, even with the weather like that, but I just had too many commitements with the Fam. Look forward to seeing both you and Mr. Pink Soon... I have a certain report for you from the Cut.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:03 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Roop -

Maybe there's something wrong with your flyrod... mine worked GREAT this weekend!

Welcome back
Old 06-10-2002, 02:10 PM

Hey now, hold on...

I'm not one to brag, just wanted to let you guys know what was going on. I may have been the one to catch some fish, maybe the most fish, maybe the biggest - I lose count after 20 or so anyway.

Hmmm, now who was it that asked me to bring a spinning rod or two to the Big Brother shindig? He looks a little like >
Old 06-10-2002, 02:14 PM
President of CAC

OUCH!
Old 06-10-2002, 02:36 PM

Oh - I didn't mean for YOU TO USE :hehe:
Old 06-10-2002, 08:21 PM

More Tourney info

Another great time with some marginal fishing mixed in, the team consited this year of Mr Roop, John Grimes (Ursa Major, aka "The Bear") Armand Courchaine and Armand's son, Andy.
Some truley memorable moments:

Walking along the boulders on the west shore with Mark Plante, as the sun began to set over the Elizabeths and fighting some strong fish among the structure at the base of the many cliffs. (There ARE still 'wild' places we can escape to!)

Jeff's recounting of the North side BLITZ! No exaggeration but he's too modest. He saw what was developing and had himself positioned smack dab int he center of it when it broke loose. Realizing you CAN cast into a 30+ MPH wind when there a fish breaking right in front, back and both sides...!

A nighttime effort at Lamberts Cove with inky black skies to our south and Aquinnah (sp?) being highlighted by strong lightning. We fish with our eyes turned behind and to the north of us to watch for signs the front is moving closer. Finally a flash from behind and e beat feet back to the car just in time to beat a downpour of biblical proportions.

After working hard the night of the tournament (the first and only really nice weather night of the weekend) Jeff & I finish by wading out 1/4 mile into one of the shallow ponds. Milky Way rising up in the east, lights going out one by one along the shore and Jeff figuring out how to read the feeding lanes and catching fish. Nice work there bud!

Once again it was a great experience, comradierie and hospitality in high gear all for a good cause!

ps: Jeff did have the nerve to come home with that spinning rod in hand and greet his (very understanding) wife with " Honey, I got you a present while we were away!"

Last edited by Bob Pink; 06-10-2002 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:33 PM

Wow - great report. Hope next year it doesn't fall on the same weekend as a family birthday so I might be able to make it!
Old 06-10-2002, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roop
Ssully - my friend the Bear used it first, second cast with Yozuri & he's into a big blue, lands a few more, I put down the fly rod & take a shot, 3rd cast gets me a nice schoolie.

I like it, feel free to give me any advice on what to buy (rubber, plugs) and where to find it.

Roop
Roopster,

That wasn't a slam my friend. It's only fishing. I've found that success for me is always based on being adaptive to what the circumstanses dictate. Tides, weather, wind and what do the fish want. Trust me I've cursed myself more than one by bringing just a spinning rod or just a flyrod to the game.

Since I'm a light tackle fisherman it comes down to a confidence factor. Are the fish here? Then can I reach them to give them what they want?

A perfect case scenario two weeks ago I was into cookie cutter schoolies and dropped the spin gear and started tossing 8" herirng flies and immediately got into legal fish I wouldn't have caught otherwise.

In turn last weekend I couldn't do sqwat on a regular basis and switched over to 9" fake snakes and hammered large fish. After breaking off a huge fish and finally landing a 38" I switched over to the flyrod and only caught small fish. I returned to the spin gear and played tug of war with smaller fish that couldn't inhale the larger lure but big fish would come up out of nowwhere and take it away from them and hook themselves up. Believe me that I would love to to catch a fish like that in the FR.

It's just fishin.
TL

BTW, I saw a 48" leave the dock.
Old 06-11-2002, 06:45 AM

Ssully- I never took it that way, I guess the way I write doesn't translate the way I think very well ??! Maybe my actually being serious once in a while throws people off.

Anyway, I'm very interested in duplicating what we do with the fly rod - with the spinning rod, mostly for my wife, kids & others who can't cast a fly rod as well as they tell you. I think it would have turned some early trips this season into very memorable ones.

Our buddy ,The Bear, is extreeeeeeemly knowledgable and he & Mr. Pink taught me a great deal. I need to find some free time one night this week to find some rubber sand lance/ eel imitations for Sunday. Any other suggestions for a somewhat virgin spin rodder?

Sluggos & hisses,

Roop
Old 06-11-2002, 07:06 PM

HI GUYS NICE meeting you there, hope you do better next year. BOB, Ill e-mail you a pic of my biggest fish, came in 4th, as you know you get zzzzzziip for 4th, but is was my biggest that night,an lost a few more breaking my 20lb tippet, changet to 30 an BAM! got ya! "GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN"
Old 06-11-2002, 07:29 PM

picture of Saltydogs fish.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.