Talk about a small world (attn Juro) - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2002, 11:53 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Smile Talk about a small world (attn Juro)

I was down in my garage today. I have a little collection of flies and such I find on fishing trips. Just out of the blue, I had an apiffany (sp?). I had a nice marabou type fly I had found on the Hoh a couple years back. I actually grabbed it and took a good look at it. It reminded me of something, and it hit me. Here's the picture of the fly I found.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00648.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	524  

Last edited by Steelheader69; 06-08-2002 at 11:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2002, 11:55 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Ok, fly number 2

Well, I remembered that I had a fly that looked similar to the one above that came from Juro. Sure enough, I went back upstairs, purple fly in hand, and grabbed this pink one below. Guess what I found???? They're tied IDENTICLE, except the lead eyes. I mean, down to the underbody and everything. Talk about a coincidence. I find a fly a couple years before I find this BB, and then I end up having same fly tyer send me another fly similar to that one. What's the odds?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00649.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	525  
Old 06-09-2002, 04:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to beau purvis
fly on hoh

juro, why the leadeyes on top? i would think you would tie them underneath. where is the hook? is that a waddington shank type set up?
Old 06-09-2002, 07:09 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Not a waddington

This is a standard fly hook. I myself have always tied my eyes on top. With the upturned eye, fly has always stayed upright like it should. Never had a problem with it. Never tried tying eyes down below. Hmmmmmm, may have to try it. But I rarely use lead eyes anyways.
Old 06-10-2002, 12:54 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Correction -

That's not my fly! I use no weighted flies for steelhead of any kind, never had a need to.

Sh69 - I was the swap meister, but not the tyer.

ALSO -

I received one of my own flies from you when you sent out the winter steelhead flies! Maybe you got a few labels crossed up?

And now the mystery... whodunit?
Old 06-10-2002, 10:23 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Hmmmmmmm

Actually Juro, I resent everyone one of their own flies, that way they had a complete lot. That way everyone received the same lot of flies, everyone's was the same. It seemed alot of people sent me some extra flies to try of different varieties. But I could've sworn that one came out of your batch. Hmmmmmmmmmm. Well, who wants to fess up to tying it? It's someone who fished the Hoh. Hmmmmmmmmm, it may just stay a mystery.

Last edited by Steelheader69; 06-10-2002 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:14 PM

I dun it.

And I don't fish the Hoh. I added the lead eyes because it is the only way to get that damn thing down. Otherwise I don't like lead eyes although I know great fishermen who love them.

andre

Last edited by andre; 06-10-2002 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:54 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Hey Andre

Did you tie that baby up for someone who was going to fish the Hoh? Both of these flies are tied identicle. You can usually tell a tyer's tying style. I found this one on the Hoh above Willoughy Creek a couple years back.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:21 AM

9er, you know I really can't say I've give lots of those away. I was tying the 3 to 4 years ago. I could even have sent you the original, pretty simple fly. I think they are dressed too heavily to truely be effective. After learning slowly (yes, I am a slow learner) I placed about half the materials on the hook and prefered the way it fished. Since that time I have changed patterns again.

I am definetly catching more fish so it must be a better fly. I seriously doubt I could have learned anything.

andre

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.