Thanks for keeping the faith... - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2002, 09:28 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thanks for keeping the faith...

Sometimes as Sean and Dana will tell you running a site is like painting the Golden Gate Bridge. By the time you finish one thing it's late for the other and if you want to keep up without falling off the sides you have to skip a few spots that aren't as blatant as the others. Thanks for being tolerant of those 'spots'.

Now that we are successfully off the old server we should not see the big outages and performance problems of the past. Now that we're taking a bit of a breather, I just wanted to ask you to please not take the occasional lack of attention I can afford as a lack of interest - couldn't be any further from the truth. Thanks for understanding what it's like to be in the middle of all the site issues and how that limits responsiveness from time to time.

There are only so many hours in the day and I use up a lot of 'em for things other than sleep. There are way more requests, tasks and asprirations than hours in the day, sleep or no sleep. In this volunteer operated, not-for-profit website with an unpaid core staff of three we could not survive without the help provided those who chip in through the year. To all who have put action behind their participation, thanks - we would not survive without you, you are the key factor in the success of the community.

Sometimes people get irate at me because a login doesn't work or I haven't responded to a message, etc. People with business interests often think of us as a free place to promote their commercial interests. Many see the site as a business, with a paid staff, profits, and an obligation to customer service. Well I guess the last item is true but with a customer support staff of zero, salaries of zero, minimal budget and a few hours to volunteer each night and weekend, it's going to take some changes around here to get to that "real business" mode. The site is growing and it's something we are figuring out how to deal with in the years to come, but for now, please keep in mind that this site is run by a couple of fishermen "behind the curtain" just like you. Thanks for all the patience until we get there.

The most important thing to be thankful for is the feeling of ownership among the members. You should and you do feel like you are not just the audience but you are the cast. You should and do feel like the fate of this fireside cyberlodge for flyfishermen is in your hands as much as anyone elses. That, in my opinion, is the Flyfishing FORUM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2002, 09:54 AM

Juro,

Well said, I understand totally. I ran one of the largest surburban baseball and softball leagues in the Chicago surburbs for three years as President and know what you are talking about. It was a 12 month a year job 1,700 kids, 130 teams etc.. It was all volunteer work and people's expectations were way out of line at times.

Thanks to Sean, Dana, your self and all the others in keeping the forumn a high quality fly fishing discussion site. The quality of the participants is what makes it what it is. Have not seen another one like it.

Best,

Hal

Hal
Old 06-08-2002, 11:35 AM

No appoligy needed! Period!!

Gad, when you consider what you've accomplished, and that we, the benificiaries, get all the juice. You three have done ONE HELL OF A JOB!

Someone has a minor 'problem' let them write their complaint on the back of a new $100 bill and send it in.

fe
Old 06-08-2002, 12:08 PM

Thumbs up

Hey Juro, you folks have done a great job . I figured you were buisy and would get back to me when you had the time to do more about the advertiesing,no problems here, I will be ready and willing when you are , the site looks real good and i for one am very happy to be here,tight lines, brian

Last edited by Whiskey Dick; 06-08-2002 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-08-2002, 12:45 PM

Bryan, a segway here.

Reel arrived in my office yesterday am; loaded with 30# backing by 10:30, tip installed and good to go on the new 15'9wt Sage.

YES!
Old 06-08-2002, 06:34 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thanks VERY much Brian - you're on the list of high priority tasks and it will be an honor having your support! Now that the *big* task is checked off, we'll be rolling. I'll send the banner design proposal via email.

Quote:
Originally posted by Whiskey Dick
Hey Juro, you folks have done a great job . I figured you were buisy and would get back to me when you had the time to do more about the advertiesing,no problems here, I will be ready and willing when you are , the site looks real good and i for one am very happy to be here,tight lines, brian
Old 06-08-2002, 06:52 PM

Juro, Mr. "B's" check should be good given all the $

I've sent him this last couple of weeks. So much for the tounge in cheek; Bryans given me a couple of great deals and Joan will still be (somewhere?) in Europe for the next 2'ish weeks ... so no squaks about 'you did what.' Actually just kidding as she's clued in that I'll spend the $, better on this than other choices. Call from her this morning, second 'real voice' I've had in the past three weeks. Trust me Men: "Redheads are high maintainance wives." But worth every 'penny.'
Old 06-09-2002, 12:10 AM

Thumbs up

Hi Juro, when ever you are ready so am i of course Fred's checks have to clear before i can pay any money out, hey Fred how did you get an account with the "First National Bank of Afganistan" :hehe: my bank manager tried calling them but no one answers the phone over there tight lines,brian
Old 06-09-2002, 09:50 AM

Wasn't easy, but the exchange rate was

really in my favor 1 US Dollar(s) = 4,915.300 Afghanistan Afghani(s) , if this is the account I'm thinking of. Sorry about the 'no answer,' the shelling has been quite bad of late. With these kinds of accounts, I always figure I could wallpaper the house if it turns out wrong. Quite striking actually.
fe

God, that's what I love about this board. This thread starts out with painting the Golden Gate Bridge and ends up (so far at least) with the "offical" exchange rate of the US dollar and the Afgani' ATA. Very cool.

Juro, Dana, Sean: maybe 'we' could turn this into a running contest? Fellow who "bends the thread" the best wins a widget of some sort.
:>)

Last edited by fredaevans; 06-09-2002 at 10:23 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.