6/6 S.E. Cape Fishing Report: - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2002, 05:21 PM

6/6 S.E. Cape Fishing Report:

6/6 S.E. Cape Fishing Report:

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. (John Buchan)

99% Blues today. Used wire 99% of the day. Used 5 inch orange squid, sand lances and poppers with success on the flats and off. Clear Int. line used all day also. No need to go deep as all fish were taken on or near the surface.

(see photos)

Smiles abounded today with numerous bluefish sighted on the flats and in the channels. Just a couple of many that were brought to hand. Congrats!

Predator instinct:
One of my recent wise clients explained to me what he thought was one of the most important qualities a guide should have. Predator instinct!
He was right! The way you should approach flats fishing is the same way any predator on this earth approaches its next meal. Blend in, be quite, and study the contour of the land. Look for the best place to ambush, find their weaknesses and exploit it! Only threw the study of all aspects of your prey’s environment, habits will you become a proficient hunter and be able to take full advantage of natures banquet table. HhhhooOOOOWWWLLLLLL!

Question:
Randy,
Hope your well and I really appreciate your web site and fishing reports...really helps me though the day when all I can do is dream of flats fishing at my desk. Can't seem to get that fly through my PC monitor to those cruising Stripers!! Anyway, I have a question if you don't mind. Which way are the fish facing when the tide starts coming in over the flats? Are they coming behind the bait, chasing it in trying to push it against a bar, or do they try to get ahead of it and face the incoming current. I would imagine when the tide drops, they sit in the current and eat as the bait washes out of the channels and cuts, but I was trying to figure which way the fish would be when there is a dry sandy flat and they start to flood. If they are behind the bait trying to bunch it up tight, would stripping the fly be better to make it look like its fleeing or just let it sit in the current? Just some thoughts as I ponder when I can get out later this summer.
Thank you and have a great day fishing!
Gary Morrissette

Gary,
Direction they swim depends on the flat. Most fish can and do swim in both directions. Sometimes you have a dominate direction. I like to strip the fly fast to imitate a fleeing bait fish.
If strong current, sometimes just dead drift it on a tight line as it swings. (No retrieve at all is best at times) Set on any tap you feel. Normally they will set themselves and almost yank the rod out of your hand.
Best,
Randy Jones
randysjones@earthlink.net
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	243.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	521  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.