just a curious observation - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2001, 09:19 PM

just a curious observation

OK, we knew this spring was a bit unusual. Cold water temps hanging around on the cape southside. Weather marginal until the past two weeks.
BUT, isn't it strange that we are starting to see fish filling in all along the striper coast simultaneously? We have reports being filed from as far north as the Merrimack and down to the cape of fish arriving.
There's got to be a variable about the migratory path of these fish that we don't fully understand. They can't be following a strict coastal path or else we be able to track their progression.
So, this leads to an offshore/deepwater migratory path possiblity. Could we have a significant winter offshore population that just hasn't been identified?
Curious minds.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2001, 09:47 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Definitely something to that, I've been wondering the same with TodD not seeing anything on the South Shore yet the gang finding some nice fish at Plum Island; south side river mouths spotty but the bathtub active in Chatham, etc. There is also the possibility of different populations with different migratory habits too.

Couple things stand out with respect to offshore - Capt.Bruce knows about some havens 50 miles offshore. Also, remember the Stellwagon big-cow bounty last spring?

There is an awful lot we don't know. And we know even less about the spawning habits of blues.
Old 05-10-2001, 07:15 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Just to add some info -

Stripers are in Boston Harbor. Fish are showing up at the usual shoreline haunts. Actually, people have been taking blues too. My brother is the eye witness behind this info so it is a solid source.

South Shore is getting more and more active.
-Doogue
Old 05-10-2001, 08:16 AM
Here fishy fishy

Could just be that I can't catch fish...

On a more serious note, with the Labrador current (& deeper water depths, I think), the east side of CC bay seems to stay colder longer. Perhaps the migratory fish that come up through the canal stay along the shallower, south side of the bay (quivet, brewster flats, etc) and swing up along billingsgate, etc as they move north...?
Old 05-10-2001, 08:52 AM

It seems to me that it has been fairly standard operating procedure for the north shore Merrimack area to start getting significant numbers of fish before the Boston south shore area does, although sometimes Plymouth seems to go off around the same time as the Merrimack. This has just been my observation from dutifully following reports the last 4-5 years and generally talking with people from those locals about when their typical first fish come in their home waters each year. And off course, from my own fishing observations.

I don't know why this is, but I could speculate for a variety of reasons based on migratory patterns etc. I am sure some of it has to do with the fish that go through the canal v. the ones that round the Cape. I suspect the latter bunch head straight up Mass Bay through Stellwagon and B-line for Cape Anne with some working their way down to Boston and others heading to Maine, while the former fill up the coast from PLymouth up to Boston. This makes Boston actually the last spot to really get going (Murphy's Law since I live here). Why some fish b-line to Cape Anne is an interesting question--bait, greater tolerance for cold water, historic migratory patterns that are genetically coded now. I have no clue, but it's pretty cool and keeps us on our toes. If anyone would like to give me a larege $$$$ grant to fish and study this over the next 20 years--I'm game.

Doogue--if you are saying people are taking blues in the Boston area in May, that would be a first for me....the water's only 50 degrees.
Old 05-10-2001, 09:38 AM

Funny GRego and I had a conversation about this same thing yesterday and he mentioned "offshore" as a likely spot for these fish to have come from.
Anyway, I'm splitting hairs over the difference between Cape Anne and Newburyport. They are 2 different places. I thought the typical pattern was for the fish to fill in the rock structures around Cape Anne later on while the Merrimacks smelly Herring run attracts the early scouts. Anyone?

TerryW
Old 05-10-2001, 05:36 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Jeffg,

I agree, blues in the Boston area would be a wacky thing. My brother apparently saw a few blues taken near Boston yesterday. They looked like blues and some poor guy was doing everything in his power not to lose a finger when he took the hook out of a toothy mouth.

Go figure. I will try to verify...
Old 05-10-2001, 08:11 PM

Haba errata...
It's been proposed that there is a population of blues that winter over around the power plant outflows... It would seem impossible that they'd have come around the cape yet and if they came from offshore they'd never pass up the feedbag on Stellwagen.
you figure!
Old 05-11-2001, 10:02 AM

Bob,
The old Edison power plant on the Fore River in Weymouth used to have both stripers and snapper blues hang out all winter in the warm water outfall.
I hear that someone is trying to build a new power plant on that site, hope it's not a polluter.
Glad to hear the stripers have arived just about every where in the last day or so.
Hope you all keep up the reports on Juro's site, everytime someone puts me on hold on the phone I check in to see who is catching. I loved the report from Walloston Beach, You make me home sick for the south shore in summer.
Steve Wrye (OC)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.