Combining family & fishing @ the beach? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2001, 08:15 AM

Combining family & fishing @ the beach?

My wife & 5 year old announced that they want to go to the beach this saturday, which I would like to combine with some fishing time. Past efforts to do this have earned me a grade of "D-".

I have three questions on this topic.
1. Does anyone have any hints on how to accomplish this successfully?
2. Any hints on precautions and things needed for the 4 month old?
3. Am I crazy to consider this mix of activities.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2001, 09:20 AM
Striper hound

John -

What area are you thinking of heading... cape, north shore, sweetwater, etc? Many good options depending on which direction you want to head...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2001, 10:10 AM
President of CAC

Ridgevale Beach in Chatham is know all over the place as a Kids Beach because of the shallow inlet that goes on the inside of the beach front beach. Kids love it... During the summer there are armies of kids with nets scooping all kinds of sea life. My kids grew up there. Very safe.. this then gives you the ability to fish off the left hand flat which is adjacent to bucks creek outflow and Hardings beach.. On a Map Ridgevale appears to be an extension of Hardings. In the Days when my Kids were real little I would stake rods with chunk Mackerel and catch Bluefish.. This is the time of year when you might see "racer" Blues at those beaches.
Old 05-09-2001, 11:01 AM

Juro, this trip will be on the north shore, and Salisbury state beach is the most likely spot because my son loves the playground. I was also thinking of Sandy Point or Cranes. But, I'm more likely to get into trouble there.

John, I'll save your location for the next time I'm on the Cape. I've typically wound up at Skakeet, at low tide, and watched the water way out there as my son played a hundred yards from the car.

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2001, 02:19 PM

Man John (Striblue),
i was one of those kids who grew up on Ridgevale beach running around with a net, minnow traps, and a zebco push button spinning rod. Prey of choice was the plethora of snapper blues that came down the river before the kiddie pool area.

Excellent memories, thanks for stirring them up!

Jeff

p.s. Red River beach in Harwich isn't a bad option either--you can fish off the jetties.
Old 05-10-2001, 04:31 PM

Quote:
John Desjardins (05-09-2001 12:01 p.m.):
Juro, this trip will be on the north shore, and Salisbury state beach is the most likely spot because my son loves the playground. I was also thinking of Sandy Point or Cranes. But, I'm more likely to get into trouble there.

John, I'll save your location for the next time I'm on the Cape. I've typically wound up at Skakeet, at low tide, and watched the water way out there as my son played a hundred yards from the car.

Thanks.

Personally, I prefer Crane. Salisbury seemed like such a pit when I went there last year, dirty beach, etc. Reminded me of The Bronx (not Washington Heights).

4 month olds need protection - you should pick up one of those nylon tent-like things - life saver for when they want to nap and need shade.

I did this once with my family and little ones and did the 'ol stick-in-the-sand with circle hook, etc. Kids go nutz when you catch a skate! ;-)
Old 05-10-2001, 11:07 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

John -

Other choices besides the excellent recommendations already made include:

Take a right and go out on the Refuge! The beach is beautiful and you will find fish around the rockpile or any rips / breaks on a transitional tide. Also walk northwest toward Sunset (?) Beach to the edge of the channel, or even up inside... you will usually find fish there.

Drive a bit longer (not much) and hit Hampton around the Bridge - free parking on the south side of the bridge and plenty of open space from there all the way down to the outlet. Stop at Markeys and see if the french fry cows are back.

Cut across 114 (I think it is) and hit Singing Beach, Magnolia, Blacks, and one of those quaint out of the way spots.

Another area near Crane's is Pavillion Beach, not as nice as Crane's but free, nice small local patrons and very convenient. Good fishing especially around the corner to the right on the flood.

Have fun and hope it turns out well. Rain / possible thunder expected Saturday.
Old 05-11-2001, 08:07 AM

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. After the reaction to my stopping and fishing for an hour after work earlier this week, I'll probably leave the rod at home this weekend. I need to conserve my browny points for later in the season. Of course this means that I'll see more fish on Saturday than any other day this year.
Old 05-11-2001, 09:49 AM

Quote:
John Desjardins (05-11-2001 09:07 a.m.):
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. After the reaction to my stopping and fishing for an hour after work earlier this week, I'll probably leave the rod at home this weekend. I need to conserve my browny points for later in the season. Of course this means that I'll see more fish on Saturday than any other day this year.
John,
IMHO, I would not bring the kids to PI for a beach day. The drop off and undertow is nasty there. Salisbury or Hampton State park are better choices. Just my .02

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.