Newbie Here - Fly Fishing Forum
Member Profiles Introduce yourself!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2002, 02:49 PM
Recent Member

Newbie Here

Greetings from a F.F. Newbie! After a failed attempt some years ago, I've decided to revisit Fly Fishing. I studied evrything that I could get my hands on regarding the "art" over the winter and attended the Wilmigton, MA show. I was fascinated and entertained with Lefty Kreh's demo at the casting pool! It was there that I registered for the Sage casting clinic through Blue Northern. I took the clinic this past Sunday and was suprised by how much I was able to pick up in a short time. I own property in the Mid-Coast area of Maine and have acess to superb Trout and Smallmouth fisheries as well as Saltwater. I've decide to start with a trout rig and purchased an 8'6" #6 wt outfit. I've made 2 excursions out to a local warm water pond to practice my newly learned skills after dinner. My biggest hurtle at this time seems to be getting rid of a "tailing loop". My leader is full of knots in a short time. Any helpful advise would be apprceiated.

BTW, While at the Wilmington show, I purchased a subscription to Flyfishing New England published in New Hampshire. After many weeks (months) of disapointment at my mailbox, I was bale to reach someone today by phone. I was told that their Publication Schedule was off and that I'd begin to receive the magazine with the Summer Issue at the end of this month. I felt satisfied with their offer of an additional issued added to my subscription at the end of my call. Has anyone any insight to offer regarding this magazine?

Regards and Tight Lines, Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2002, 03:20 PM
Here fishy, fishy, fishy!

Send a message via AIM to Stone Send a message via Yahoo to Stone
Welcome

Welcome Maine-iac. Love the handle...

As you can see in my profile, I am new here too. I have a subscription my brother in law got me for Christmas to Fly Rod & Reel. I like the articles... (except for having Turd Turner named fly-fisherman of the year for 01)

Don't know much about the one you have though, sorry.

For your casting problem, I had the same thing with the rod my grandfather gave me to start. It went away when I got a new full-flex Orvis rod (5 rating). Now I have a lot more control over my casts, don't get those snags and I have been able to figure out how to get the fly more than 5 yards away from me.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.