Shoot - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2002, 10:00 AM

Shoot

Question for all,

Do most of you use shooting heads or full lines for the bulk of your fishing? Do you find one or the other a better choice for most conditions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2002, 04:28 PM
President of CAC

I do not use a shooting head system if that's what you mean.. I use depth Charge lines or Still have some of the Teeny with the sink tip part of the running line.
Old 05-30-2002, 05:25 PM

Just Asking

I was just curious Striblue. I use both, full lines and shooting heads depending on the day / mood. Just wanted to see if any of you had a preference since I will be packing up some gear this weekend and figured I could lighten the load by leaving some spools behind.
Old 05-30-2002, 07:01 PM
Middle Aged Member

In my meager experience, if your coming to the Cape, a clear intermediate and a line like the 325 grain QD should have you covered if you're looking to shed some of the load.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:19 PM
President of CAC

Mike, is it this weekend that you are coming to the Cape...???? I may be traped at home this weekend.
Old 05-31-2002, 09:16 AM

Si

Striblue,

I will be driving up on Wednesday 6/5 and departing sometime on 6/8 ( maybe 6/9 if were into them good )
Old 05-31-2002, 09:20 AM

A few seasons ago Juro turned me on to the Cortland QD 325 grain sink tip. The head is 20' long and acts as a great shooting head. Many people have moved on to other lines because it has Int. running line that tends to tangle. I've stuck with it though and still like it a lot. Shoots like crazy too. BTW 325 grains fit a 9 wt.

Lefty
Old 05-31-2002, 09:32 AM

Lines

Lefty

I have more shooting heads and Intermediates than I care to count! I think I'll be bringing the New SciAngler Striper Int. as well as the Old version ( i think I like the old one better,to soon to tell ) and a 250,350,425 that should do it. If worse comes to worse I'll cut the old Intermediate and do surgery on the beach to make a head out of that.

Another silly question: Do any of you carry more than one rod out there?
Old 05-31-2002, 10:37 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Mike,
If I'm heading to the flats for any length of time, I usually have my backpack on. If thats the case, I've found a four piece nine weight fits nicely in the water bottle holder on my non casting side. I just put the reel in the seat, and then stick the but end and the three other pieces in the mesh pouch. By using one of the tightening straps on the side of the backpack around the top of the sections, the rod stays in place and is not cumbersome.

Is it necessary? No. Would I be really &^%&& off if I was standing 2 miles from the car in a blitz and break my rod with out it? Yes.:hehe:
Old 05-31-2002, 11:23 AM

Smart

Smart thinking Nick! A broken stick sure does stink when the fish are busting. I have a new 9wt 5pc RPLXI I will tuck in my pack as well as my 3pc Powell AXS 8wt. That should cover the bases ( if the wind isn't 30knts). If the wind is honking I have an 11wt 2pc RPLXI ( custom built by me ). I figure if I can't hook any I could at least swat a few over the head with it.:hehe:
Old 06-02-2002, 06:59 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hi Mike -

You're coming at a VERY good time

As mentioned, all you really need are two lines - a clear intermediate and any of the full sinking head lines. Of course a floating line opens up a whole new world as Kenney Abrames and Todd Murphy showed us recently, and Sinktips provide better line control and versatility with one spool, but IMHO the "meat & potatoes" of striper fishing is a spare spool with the two lines mentioned above.

Don't forget wire! Big bad blues around even in skinny water. I got bitten of Mother's day weekend on the flats this year. Best I've used so far is the stuff GregO found at the craft store (tiger's tail?)... ties easier and is a mere fraction of the fu-fu brands.

Juro
Old 06-03-2002, 04:40 PM

Thanks

Thanks!! My buddy called me 6/1 and said he was by the Light house and lost a dozen flies or so to Blues. He forgot the wire!! Thats one way to release them without having to worry about loosing a finger.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.