5/28 S.E. Cape Fishing Report and Ramblings: Ouch! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2002, 06:51 PM

5/28 S.E. Cape Fishing Report and Ramblings: Ouch!

5/28 Fishing Report and Ramblings:

In the last 8 days in a row, each and everyday has been different and unique. One day the fish zig and the next they zag. One day its all Blues and the next it's all Bass. One day their all in the surf and the next the Flats. Just when you think you have it all figured out, the fish humble you into realizing you dont. Today was one of those days where it was tuff fishing for most. We hooked up a couple of Blues that bit us off and dropped a couple bass. As the flats flooded my guest had numerous shots at them, but they seemed to have a tight lip. We sight fished the surf for a while and only saw one school? All I can say is, "It sure beats a sharp stick in the eye!"

Below is another great fishing adventure, sent to me by another good friend and client. I think you will enjoy it!

Randy:

I write in order to introduce you guys to a gentleman I had the pleasure of meeting on a recent trip to the British West Indies - namely, Provo in the Caicos Islands (South of Bahamas, East of Cuba, North of Dominican Republic).

By way of background: Arthur Dean and his girlfriend run an awesome bonefishing (among other things) outfit (www.silverdeep.com), and I hired one of his guides (Darren) for a half day of flats fishing around the cays of North Caicos.

15 minutes into the trip on the first drift I had a shot at and missed 3 different schools of 15+ 5 pound bones...unlike steelheading, this flats fishing stuff actually takes some skill, which I lack. Luckily, my boy Darren refrained from tossing me in the drink and we moved on. Next drift, after missing more bones and having Darren politely advise me that the fish I spotted and was casting to was a lemon shark which we were not going to tangle with, I had and lost 2 "baby" (30 pound) tarpon, one of which came completely out of the water before spitting the hook. What a fish. The fact that they get 100 pounds bigger is alarming.

Farther out, we beached the boat on an enormous flat, and just started walking. No other boats, people, etc. Probably walked a good half mile, and saw at least 100 fish that always seemed to be just out of my range. Absolutely breathtaking environment. Out there for 3 hours, saw/heard no one else with probably a mile of visibility in every direction.

Anyway, I finally stumbled across a couple tailing fish (Darren: "Sun, tailing fish = easy. Clouds, wind, schooling fish = difficult.") and ended up 3/4 on 5 pound bones. While my wife only gave me clearance for a day trip, apparently a full day gives you access to fish on the most remote cays that rarely, if ever, see human beings. (Apparently, a 6' lemon shark out there is not uncommon either. Yikes.)

Arthur - I make this introduction because Jeff is a Mustad rep., and is always looking for a new destination to try his latest product. Randy is a New England steelhead and striper guide (www.yankeeangler.com) who likes to cook the snow off his hat in the sun for a couple of weeks every year. I figure you guys might be able to cross-market your services/products to each other's clients.

In any event, the island is a 4-star resort destination that happens to have some awesome saltwater action available. I cannot recommend Arthur and his company more highly. I hope you get the chance to meet him.

Arthur - Thanks again (especially to Darren) for a great experience.

Andy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.