This years warmwater experiment - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Warmwater Gamefish Flies Freshwater Bass, pike, muskie?!?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2002, 08:57 AM

This years warmwater experiment

The fly below is one of this years experiments.

Hook: TMC 8089 size 10 (a 4 or 6 on a regular streamer hook)
beadhead: Bronze
Tail: chartruese Fish skin (Area Rule Engineering trolling skirt matl)
Body: Chartruese chenille with a black maribou feather palmered over it.
Weed Guard: Double Mono loop

So far in 1/2 hour of testing it has produced a heart stopping strike from a pickerel as I lifted the fly for a cast at my feet. The weed guard has worked well at keeping weeds off the hook and the tail has not fouled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	experiment-2-web.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	440  
Old 05-14-2002, 09:20 AM
Fly chucker

Thumbs up

John- That fly looks like it's loaded with potential. I have a question: how durable is that tail material, and if it gets chewed up how feasible is it to get replaced with another? Just wondering if another tail can be slid onto the hook like a soft tailed jig, or if the material is anchored by tying thread.

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:33 AM

Mark, it's pretty durable. The materials primary use is for skirts on offshore trolling lures. I figure that I'll hang it up in a snag long before the material gets torn up. Oh, it is tied in. If your interested I'll bring one to the Conn clave for you.
Old 05-14-2002, 07:14 PM

John, this looks great.
Similar design to a local "killer Fly" AKA Gartside Leech, Black & Chartreuse.
I tried one last year to get some Pickerel/Walleye but only once got past the pike that were sitting higher in the water column.
Do you have patterns or techniques that you use to specifically target Pickerel??
Old 05-14-2002, 08:55 PM

Hi Pete, No I don't have any special pike tactics or flies they mostly are caught by chance. They can be an exciting chance meeting though.

How's the Bow, I heard something about an oil spill in a tributary recently. I hope it wasn't bad.
Old 05-14-2002, 10:32 PM
President of CAC

John... That would make a great striper fly too I think.. I used some of that fish skin on one of the bonefish flys I tied . The material I used came in 3" by 5" sheets. I cut it in the shape i wanted...HHHmmmm ...This fly gives me an idea for a sand eel pattern. great job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2002, 11:15 PM

John that's the same stuff. I was thinking the same idea, pearl fishskin & cactus chenille with white maribou.
Old 05-15-2002, 11:00 PM

JD there was a spill, here are some details from a TV source.

"Clean up at Nose Creek- Sunday, May 12

“It appears some of the product that had settled in sub surface made its way to top of the water and making its way to the Bow river,” says Don Wilson, a hazardous waste officer. “We don’t want ever to see something get into the Bow River.”

Crews are taking no chances with this clean up effort. They're even putting booms in irrigation canals near Chestermere Lake. The job began Saturday when crews responded to an oil spill where more than 750 litres of used oil leaked from a tank onto the roadway. The oil ended up in the storm sewer system and ultimately made its way to nearby Nose creek."

JD, I have not heard any more since Sunday. The concern is that the insect hatches would be affected.... The creek is right here in town and would affect the most productive section of the fishery, downstream for 25+miles.
But the Bow is a big river so we hope things will be OK. My concern is that run off has yet to come but Nose Creek is not a major trib of the bow, so that's a bit of a comfort.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.