Why me Lord - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2002, 07:25 PM

Why me Lord

5/25 Fishing Report and Ramblings:

Today started with a small craft advisory. The light house was flying 1 red flag. I could see white caps on the flats and the american flag was blowing straight out at the marina.

I explained to my guests that this would be a tuff, windy day to go fishing and that maybe we should cancel. Nope, they wanted to go. I explained that the wind would be blowing 30 knots, straight into their face and it would be extremely difficult to fly fish with these conditions. Sorry Randy they said, we want to go fishing. I offered their deposit back and was going to take them to a spot for a few hours of fishing "on the house". Forget it, we are going fishing and you ARE taking us. I explained that using fly rods would make it difficult to cast and catch fish so maybe we should try spinning rods. Both of my guests gasp as if it was their last breath. Their faces turned a deathly white color. Then their bodies started to go into convulsions at just the thought of being within 5 feet of a spinning rod. NO Randy, we want to fly fish TODAY and YOU are taking us, END of story, lets go NOW!.

I looked towards the heavens and asked, "Why me Lord."

Anyway, we ended up picking up some fish off the edge of the flats and also on the flats. Today I noticed about 1/4 the number of fish on the flats? I was personally disappointed as I had set my expectation level pretty high after the last few days. Even with the white caps the water was still crystal clear. My guests actually did great and should be commended for being able to throw it 60 feet (ahemmmmm) into that wind. As I was standing on my ladder looking for fish I noticed them both huddling behind me. I guess I made the perfect wind blocker for them. When I would call out a fish they would come out charging. At days end we all left a lil cold and wet but with lasting memories and smiles of a fun day on the flats.

(see photo)

Sam picks up a feisty Blue among a host of Bass. Got biten off by a few other Blues after some fun runs, steelhead head shakes and tarpon jumps. Congrats to you both!!

Randy
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2002, 08:51 AM

Wink Why you?

Uhhh, because you are a guide?
Old 05-26-2002, 04:10 PM

"One cast can change your day...maybe your life."

Yup, especially when your guest excitedly cast's at a sighted fish and forgets you are behind them. Then buries the hook deep into the back of your neck!

That one cast changed my day and life.

Now I wear a football helmet!!

he-he

Randy
Old 05-27-2002, 09:40 AM

I always wondered why the guide on the poling platform never calls "OK, cast 40' at 12 o'clock."
It's not just the fish that apreciate a barbless hook.http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...ilies/cool.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.