Casting Nut - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2002, 09:34 AM

Casting Nut

Are any of you guys into casting just for the sake of it? Our water has been so high for the last few months that I have found myself playing with various casts, shooting heads, and just about anything I can get my freaky little hands on. Am I the only casting nut out there? I thought it might be kind of fun to talk about the 1% of casting that we never get to do. Last week I cut down an old 9 weight full sinking line I had into a shooting head, and tied it to some stiff mono. Holy smokes, no wonder Rajeff can throw 200+ feet. That thing went like a screaming banshee.

We were at the FFF Southern Conclave a few years a go. One of my buddies was sitting at the booth with a 5 wt XP and had it fully rigged. We sat in our chairs and had a contest seeing who could put a fly in an ash tray at 30' the most times in a row. Once you got the distance right it was pretty easy to hit it almost every time.

So am I the Forum nut or does anyone else ever do that kind of stuff?

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2002, 09:49 AM
Recent Member

Your not alone at all. I'm teaching my wife to fish and we set up a ski-ball style target for her to practice with and I'm out there all the time. We even made a drinking game out of it with my friends and it replaced the horseshoes. A great way to practice those casts you never use much!
Old 05-23-2002, 10:15 AM
Here fishy, fishy, fishy!

Send a message via AIM to Stone Send a message via Yahoo to Stone
I still am trying to get better at accuracy of my casts, so I go out and cast whenever I can (as long as I am not on a Honey-Do list or tying flies for an upcoming trip)
Old 05-23-2002, 10:20 AM
President of CAC

Absolutly... In the winter I am in my backyard practicing casting.. I consider fishing casting the number one joy of flyfishing... that why I love flyfishing... besides all the stuff... It's casting that is key for me.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:02 AM
Middle Aged Member

Must be the casting I like because I don't catch a lot of fish. On those rare occasions when it comes together for me the pleasure is similar to finding the groove shooting a basketball or stroking a cue stick. I just wish I could bottle whatever it is that get's me to that place.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:56 AM

Yah sure you betcha!

The joy of casting is never more complete than when I take out a few of the old Cane Rods and line them up to cast on the little pond out in the yard. There are not many fish in the pond and the few that are there are properly educated and quite wary. However just casting about with those beautiful hand built works of art is all I need to get a real release from the tensions of everyday stress.
Casting with plastic just doesn't get me the same juju I get a real charge out of the old cane.
Old 05-23-2002, 12:18 PM

Old stuff

I was at a resort in CO a few years ago and some of the guests were out front casting. In my usual interfearing nature I couldn't pass them by. We sat there for a few minutes talking about casting and making loops ect. One of the kids went and got me one of the "loaner rods" from guest services so I could join in the casting. It was a 1970's, fiberglass, no cork on the handel, fly line tied in knots, POS. The flyline had to be the "original" fly line, cracked and gray with dirt. They had tied a loop knot at the end of the fly line so the could put a loop end leader on it (geez). So I think you get the idea. The worst possible rod for casting right? I pulled off the 85 feet of fly line and made a couple of hauls with this 5 lbs of fiberglass. The line hit the end of the backing and made an audible bzzzzz noise as it pulled off a few feet of backing. Holy Smokes!! What just happened??? I pulled off the rest of the total 60 feet of backing on the rod just for fun. What a blast!!! Can you believe I spent a month in Colorado fishing that summer, and the one thing I remember is casting that crummy old rod.

Geez......I've got it bad.......

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.