Do you have a quick fix spot? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2002, 10:27 AM
Recent Member

Do you have a quick fix spot?

Wondering if you guys have a spot you can go nearby if you need a quick fix?

Where I live there are a lot of options but lots of people. I've got a couple of spots that are real easy to get to but not real obvious that I pass on the way home from work. One is a nice section of the Blue River which is hidden by tailing piles so no one fishes it. It has a very healthy fish population. Plenty of rainbows, browns and brooks in a variety of sizes. Another is a pond created from placer mining thats completely hidden and seperate from any rivers, streams etc. But its like being at a hatchery, mainly brooks but a few cutts. These aren't places I fish when I have more time but its great for before and after work just to get some on the line.

What made me wonder what others are fishing is a buddy of mine who lives in Denver fishes a creek that runs through a mall in the middle of the city. So where do you guys go for that quick fix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2002, 10:58 AM
Fly chucker

I've recently discovered a quarry pond that is just a few miles from my house. It's full of warmwater species. I'm in the process of learning its nuances, and more research is required via john boat.

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:14 AM
Here fishy, fishy, fishy!

Send a message via AIM to Stone Send a message via Yahoo to Stone
I have Swanzey lake about a mile from my house... the only accessable part without a boat is the cove that you launch from, so if someone is trying to get out to the main lake, you are likely going to get skunked...

When I move up to central NH, I saw a nice pond that will be about 4 miles or so from the house, so that may be my new hang-out.... as well as the Pemi and Baker river.

CANT WAIT TO MOVE... Better job, back to school, and BETTER FISHING! (I also get a boat when we move!!!!!)
Old 05-23-2002, 12:14 PM

Lets see. I have a pond ~ 1/4 mile from the office with bass, panfish and oversized goldfish (carp) that taunt me at lunch some days. I also have a couple of ponds and a lake that are on public land a short distance off my commute home with bass, panfish & chain pike, one even has trout.

Beyond that I have a couple of spots to try on the Nashua river this year. I need to have some flowing water in the get rid of the jones spots.
Old 05-23-2002, 03:06 PM

Colotrout I am going to come looking for you secret spots and catch and eat all of the trout in them. I have a little spot on the St Vrain that is fun after work but certianly not a destination spot. Did you read the article in the Post the other day about the salmon flies on the colorado. Do you ever get over that way. I may give it a shot on Monday.

Brad
Old 05-23-2002, 03:33 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

When I lived in Washington State I had a river with winter and summer steelhead, salmon, searun cutts within 5 miles of my door in the lower and middle sections; 15 miles to the headwaters. I miss that sorely.

Depending on where I worked, I might've be better off doing the driving first and fishing near the office, where there were other rivers of the same nature - often fishing even better.

Of course Puget Sound was not much further and coho and king salmon were plentiful in the fall. You could easily pick one up on the way to or from the office.

Now I live near a couple of trout streams but can't get excited about put and take fisheries. Something about the way they look that says "I was raised on pellets in a concrete ditch". I would love to find a native brookie stream within a reasonable drive from my home! I'm sure it's possible.

Those who live near the coast have a potential blitz on any given morning, that wouldn't suck at all!
Old 05-23-2002, 03:40 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

When I lived in Washington State I had a river with winter and summer steelhead, salmon, searun cutts within 5 miles of my door in the lower and middle sections; 15 miles to the headwaters. I miss that sorely.

Depending on where I worked, I might've be better off doing the driving first and fishing near the office, where there were other rivers of the same nature - often fishing even better.

Of course Puget Sound was not much further and coho and king salmon were plentiful in the fall. You could easily pick one up on the way to or from the office.

Now I live near a couple of trout streams but can't get excited about put and take fisheries. Something about the way they look that says "I was raised on pellets in a concrete ditch". I would love to find a native brookie stream within a reasonable drive from my home! I'm sure it's possible.

Those who live near the coast have a potential blitz on any given morning, that wouldn't suck at all!
Old 05-23-2002, 05:37 PM
Recent Member

Brad - Didn't see the article, but fish the Colorado alot. My buddies who have been up this week have done well from pumphouse to radium. Depending on how things work out this weekend, we're going to try and float one day this weekend. But I've heard the Lower C has been fishing better than the upper.

If ya wanna steal my fish, please eat'em I think the heavy metals from the mining in some of the spots would get ya back.
Old 05-24-2002, 10:50 AM

colotrout, We got some much needed moisture last night, I hope it was enough to soak in. I used to fish Lake aziscohas(sp) in maine and they have problems with Mercury in the fish. I remember it being advised to eat no more than one fish meal a month to avoid poisoning. Now that is a reassuring thought. I think I will pass on your tailings pond. We will hit the Colo around hot sulphur springs, i'll let you know how it goes.

Brad
Old 05-24-2002, 11:45 AM

Brad, I hate to tell you but that warning is on most, if not all Massachussetts fresh waters. It enforces the catch & release philosphy.
Old 05-26-2002, 09:21 AM

Chicago is surrounded by large Forest Preserves which have many ponds and lakes with bass,pike,sun fish, pike these are 10-15 minutes away from me. Lake Michigan shore line is 30 minutes, a prmier smallmouth river for fly fishing fishing is one hour away. Steelhead, salmon, and trout river fishing is 60- 90 minutes away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.