Sunday 5/19 up north - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2002, 10:36 AM

Sunday 5/19 up north

Got out with Grego in my boat to fish the rip off Ipswich neck. Arrived just a little into the outgoing to find fish up top from in front of the beach to the rip at the point,sporadically. Chucking his big blue Herring flies Grego was able to filter out the smaller fish and get into some bigger ones to just under legals. I managed some smaller ones. The bite was short and I was itchy to move up to Grape I. or out to some gannets and all over to test out my new power on the craft. We blasted for miles in all directions and barely dented the fuel tank! Next time I'll settle down and fish more. All in all the fishing has slowed down a bit up north. Oh ya, it was COLD as heck. Be hauling my boat to the cape as soon as I can get some time from my insane schedule. Can't wait for the next push of fish into the region.

Lefty

Last edited by Lefty; 05-20-2002 at 02:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2002, 10:52 AM

HP

Lefty,

What did you put on the back of your boat ?
Old 05-20-2002, 12:30 PM

Last fall I bought a Merc 15 from Marvin. My boat is a 14' alum. It planes out ands whips now with 2 grown men (albeit immature) aboard. Nice inshore fishing rig.

Lefty
Old 05-20-2002, 02:22 PM

Nice

Nice little set up. How far out do you usually go?
Old 05-20-2002, 03:07 PM

Well that's changing now. It's a 14' Alum. boat. Without the high high gunwales like on a Lund. But I can handle chop to about 1 1/2 feet. The motor I retired was a 1963 Evinrude 9.5 hp. Being so old and undergunned I was leary about jumping across miles of open water (although I did run her to Succonnesset shoal once). So I used to stay within a couple miles of the ramp and near the shore as possible, and, when the conditions were pretty calm. My range has now been extended big time. At dawn things tend to be flat since the wind hasn't kicked up yet. That's fishing time in my book. Another great feature is I can float in 6" of water and not worry about skinny water too much. If I was buying a tin boat now Iw ould get a 16' with high gunwales.
As a sidenote: My dad bought this boat when I was about 5 yrs. old. I've been fishing in it all my life and it's as solid as a rock. That kind of sentimental value can't be bought. The memories of different fish caught in it are vast. From lakes on the Canadian border to the Vineyard sound, many memories. It's an old friend. MY dad used to have us trolling for stripers with the old tube and seaworm rigs. When we weren't looking he would reach out and grab our lines and give a big YANK! OH MY GOD BIG FISH ON!!! Then you see the smirk on dad's face. NO wonder I'm a wise guy. Scarred for life

Lefty

Last edited by Lefty; 05-20-2002 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-20-2002, 05:25 PM

It was very cold Sun AM & didn't seem to warm much as the sun rose higher in the Sky; the wind just kicked it made it seemed to keep the Chill about level.

The Bite was very short lived; I think we caught all of our fish in about the first hour & a half. As best as we can figure is that due to the recent rain there was a lot of brown/orange silt in the river water, so it may have been difficult for the Bass to feed & maybe they just plain ran out into open water with the dropping tide.

Terry did a great job bopping us around from place to place hoping to hit the mother load, but it just didn't quite happen.

The Old Mirro now rides Great with the 15 Merc on Her tail. I was sitting up front & was surprised to feel myself "Rising Up" as the boat came onto a quick Plane. the Olde Even used to just Plow us along!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.