Migrating fish report - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-25-2001, 11:47 AM

Migrating fish report

Greetings from New Jersey!

I spent some time this morning making phone calls to various fly shops along the coast including Delaware, Jew Jersey, New York and Rhode Island. Fish are being caught in Rhode Island as many of you know but they are believed to be holdover fish. The same holds true for Long Island as there is no mention of Sea Lice on fish being caught. Schoolies with Sea Lice are being caught along the Jersey shore right now. There are also migrating/spawning fish in the Delaware River up into and past Trenton - a colleague of mine caught a couple of fish over 10 lbs here very recently. I may be mistaken, but I believe the first real wave of migrating fish is still making it's way up the New Jersey shorline. Please let me know your thoughts - other reports.

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2001, 04:13 PM
Flats Rat

I saw a report on the FFSW Board yesterday of large numbers of fish in the Housatonic estuary. According to the report all the fish appeared to be very well fed with some carrying sea lice.
Old 04-25-2001, 04:54 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Given the location of the Housy relative to other areas that remain quiet, there must be something to this. Early bass are known to frequent areas far offshore and migration routes may bypass some areas to make landfall at others.

It's certainly the right time for such reports but I gotta wonder why there while other spots remain fairly quiet?
Old 04-25-2001, 05:16 PM
President of CAC

Adrian, that reply to your post about the two claves falling on the same date by Ironhead was an uncalled for and unnecessary jab at this forum. I am sure you saw it. I don't know why . I answered that it stood for this board not wrestlers... but I know he knew that. I will hope to see you in Orleans and I hope you stop by my place which I will plan on having a short get together there for a break before heading over for evening get together at the headquarters.
Old 04-26-2001, 08:36 AM

I haven't been 'reading around' lately but you say there are two "claves" at the same date? Maybe we should combine our efforts - the more information we bring to the table the better we will all do.
Old 04-26-2001, 08:47 AM
President of CAC

Yes... I need to do some fishing.... I am slowly going off the deep end.
Old 04-26-2001, 11:52 AM
Flats Rat

Hi John

I really didn't read too much into it - some people just can't help themselves. I often wonder what some folk did for relief before there were bulletin boards ???. The key thing is that this board has attracted an exceptional community of interest covering both sides of the USA and also participation from Europe!

I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone on the water and thank your for your offer of hospitality!
Old 04-26-2001, 08:05 PM

Adrian----- Dont forget Your Canadian Cousins from coast to coast.
Tight Lines
saltRon
Old 04-26-2001, 10:58 PM
Flats Rat

Sorry Canada! You just validated my "Freudian Slip" post on the other board (for those who didn't see it I refered to us as WWFF and someone thought it stood for world wrestling federation - absolutely my mistake). But this really IS a World-Wide Flyfishing Forum and it's great to be part of such a brilliant international team!

Maybe sometime we might be able to organize an international clave -some place, some time. I'm sure I could get a contingent from the U.K fired up. Something to think about, maybe for next year, or the year after - doesn't matter when - maybe a long range plan - it would take some organizing but the upside would be worth it! It would be pretty amazing to get such a group together - maybe a long-range project -how about it???
Old 04-27-2001, 07:02 AM

A truly outstanding idea Adrian! 1st question - Where should we do it? Tropical sounds good to me right now!

Gregg
Old 04-27-2001, 07:24 AM
Flats Rat

Bahamas / Carribean was my initial thought too! But, let's hear from Canada and Europe!
Old 04-27-2001, 07:34 AM

Yeah baby! How about Andros?
Old 04-27-2001, 10:04 AM

Yeah! long range planning for a long distance clave ,sounds like a great idea, give us time to set it up and arrange our schedules and we can do just about anything. I'd jump at the chance to help with organizing something. If there's a good amount of interest, then start posting some ideas and were off and running.

I like the idea of a tropical locale as well, Bahamas seems like the most central spot???

Did I step in something again? Here I go, jumpin in with both feet as well as my mouth. Oh well! lets do it!
Old 04-27-2001, 11:08 AM
Flats Rat

Andros sounds very good. In terms of some things to consider, how about the following for starters:

1) Level / Quality of accomodation
2) Facility for Self sufficiency (boat rental etc.) vs local guides + Skiffs
3) Time of year (tough call)
4) Location - it's a big Island!
5) When? 2002 / 2003
6) Overall cost - dependent on group size

Any experiences out there?
Old 04-27-2001, 11:31 AM

Is the North Carolina trip for Fall of 2001 going to happen? I have not heard anything about it recently. However, with the local fishing season just getting under way I'm not too surprised. I DEFINATELY want to do it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.