I Have Seen It All... - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2002, 02:45 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
I Have Seen It All...

...Hal and all other Great Lake steelheaders should be ashamed of themselves!!!!

Roger's White Wiggler is a unique maggot imitation pattern developed by an Erie steelhead angler. This fly is made with pieces of yarn and burned ends, and looks strikingly similar to real maggots on a hook.

This pattern is tied locally by the creator of the pattern in a size 18 on premium, chemically sharpened, extra-strong Tiemco or Mustad scud hook.

Last edited by NrthFrk16; 05-16-2002 at 03:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2002, 07:29 AM

Thats Lake Erie, I cannot speak for them. I saw that recently and did a double take. Never seen anything like that used in Lake Michigan tributaires and I wlll not have any in my fly box.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:59 AM
Steelhead-a-holic

Talking HEY! Not so Fast!!!

With enough flotant you'd have . . . a Waking Maggot Fly!!!:hehe: :hehe:
Old 05-16-2002, 12:47 PM

With enough floatant and a dropper fly you have an indicator with a bite! [And you won't have to hang your head in shame whilst among your traditionalist brothers.]

png
Old 05-16-2002, 01:08 PM

Good comments, you had me laughing at work after a particularly bad business meeting which means more work for me.

Maggot flies, whats next ? I guess it is used to imitate the maggots which flow off the dead salmon carcassess in the river after the fall runs in Lake Erie.

I am not that desparate yet, Nrthfrk16 put a picture up after you have yours tied up.

Size 18 though, kind of small to hold a steelhead on

IMHO

:eyecrazy: :eyecrazy:
Old 05-16-2002, 01:16 PM

Thats an interesting hatch to match :hehe: and I thought that lake Erie was getting cleaner.

Aren't maggotts, aka meal worms, the larval form of the common fly. So this could be called a larvae cluster similiar to multiple midges tied on the same hook and as such be a "proper" fly? Just being the devils advocate.
Old 05-30-2002, 07:01 PM

John,

Good thoughts, on maggots and their similarity to meal worms. I hear that many steelhead bait anglers are tipping their jigs or just fishing live meal worms as a bait now for great lakes steelhead. Out here they also use a lot of meal worms for ice fishing on lakes.

I suppose some of my steelhead nymphs could imitate a meal worm or maggot depending upon how you look at it. Will have to add a few to my arsenal. However, they will not be able to imitate the erratic wiggle a meal worm has when you impale it on your bait hook. Yes I confess I used them a couple of times when I took my boys pan fishing, but I swear I have never used them on my fly rod and never would. I think that is what triggers a steelhead to attack them much like the pink rubber worms the PNW anglers have used for steelhead very successfully. A rubber worm has an incredible erratic wiggling action in a river which I think just antagonizes the heck out of them and causes them to react and attack.

I believe that is why large marabou streamers qnd speys work well some times for steelhead if they can provide an erratic wiggling action to trigger them into attacking.

I will be applying the large marabou streamers and speys to the summer run skamanias out here soon.

Hal
Old 05-30-2002, 08:51 PM

Well, just my 2 cents but it reallly looks like

you've taken a 'miniature' Siamese cat and lashed the poor thing to a hook. Shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2002, 09:45 PM

Again I cannot speak for Lake Erie steelhead FF, they do some strange things over there on that www.noodlebagger.com site with the river web cams etc... I have been boycotting it just so they do not get credit for my site hits. You know I hate technology encroachment on our rivers.

Fred did you get your portable side scan fish locator yet to locate exactly where the springers are and thus target your spey swing more precisely ?

I have to stop now, or else I will go into another anti technology discourse.....
Old 05-30-2002, 11:09 PM

Hal, no to the 'tecknological improvements' offered on

the Board. Been waiting .... and waiting ... and waiting. Think this maybe one of the primary reasons Dave K. and I are considering the use of "Dupont Spinners."

Forgot to add: Dah, Fred.

Flys for the swap weren't done as tubes, but I sure can do them that way for you if you want. Lord, knows you've been more than generous to me.
fe

PS: Call from the JoanMeister this morning; first 'contact' since she split almost a week ago. Not her fault as the MCI overseas # they gave her is non-operational. Anyway, having a good time (she called at 11:30am PST-8:30PM where ever she is time) from a bar. Not quite Ha.xnv;oiuerny Anervwdiufoapoey (our 15th) but could tell she was doing 'wine bar home study.course' with the tour group. :hehe:

Last edited by fredaevans; 05-30-2002 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:28 PM

Fred,

No rush when you get a chance shoot out a couple of tubes will send some of the new streamers I have been tying and some other nymphs.

When I have been in Europe on business it was always tough to connect with my wife due to the large time difference and being 6-7 hours ahead. Hope I don't have to go over there any time soon but there is one project I am on which could put me there for a short stay. Senior management there appears needs the americans to show them how to do some things.

Hal
Old 05-30-2002, 11:42 PM

Re: Hal, no to the 'tecknological improvements' offered on

Quote:
Originally posted by fredaevans
the Board. Been waiting .... and waiting ... and waiting. Think this maybe one of the primary reasons Dave K. and I are considering the use of "Dupont Spinners."

After I get some of these whatchamacallit flies tied up on the 1.5" brass tubes from The Fly Shop and sink the whole thing with that new 400 gr. Big Boy head those springers better hide. <g> For that matter, so had Fred until I learn how to handle the line. <VBG>
Old 05-31-2002, 12:10 AM

Space, give him plenty of space ... and

a Aid Car for a back up.

This I'm willing to sit on the beach with a good Jere E. cigar and watch ..... from well back on the beach .... behind a bolder.
Old 05-31-2002, 09:34 AM

Hal, thanks for the response. I was a bit surprised no one answered earlier. Everyone must be fishing.

The meal worms get used here for ice fishing/trout as well. I never used them, something about them never seemed right.

Fred instead of the side scanning sonar how about using an Aquaview camera to see how Avids fly swings throught the pool from a safe distance.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:00 AM

Good point John: but Dave and I missed

'opportunities' for filming this weekend. I inspected the river from a "prone position" on Saturday (Dave was not about at the time. But that's my second time in two weeks.); he thought he could get a better view of the river bottom in a similar position on Monday.

Couldn't get to my camera fast enough to record it for postarity.

Interesting how wet you can get even in knee deep water if you put your heart into it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.