Ammo - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2002, 11:13 AM

Ammo

Perhaps some of you could guide me on rod selection for my trip. I have the choices of a Powell AXS 8wt & Abel #2 or Sage DS 9wt & J.Austin or Sage RPLXI 11wt & Islander #3. Which would be the best choice all around. I hear you guys talking of some bruisers around so I would like to be prepared for anything. Also should I leave the Intermediate lines @ home?? I recall I used a 250 grain shooting head 90% of the time last time I went.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2002, 03:16 PM

Maybe the lack of response is due to people not being familiar with those rods in thos weights for stripers. I know the DS2 & RPLXI but unless you're throwing a 500 grain sinking line in a rip, I think the #11 might be too much.

While I love the DS2, a buddy that was fishing one this weekend, a #9 with a #9 intermediate on it, had a hard time punching into the wind. I would use a # 8 intermediate line on that rod & a 225 grain at most. That's just my preference though.

I would definitely plan on using a intemediate in addition to a sinking/ sink tip line.

It looks like you may be fishing with a group of guys who might be known to have a few extra rods you could try as well.

Good luck.

Roop
Old 05-15-2002, 03:29 PM

Dilema

Roop,

My dilema is I am a minimalist. I prefer to travel LIGHT. Nothing will beat you down quicker than lugging alot of unusable equipment around all day. Just trying to minimize my gear to one good all around rod. I may hit the local flyshop and pick up a 10wt St Croix ( I'm budgeting myself lately so I can buy a 18ft Maritime Skiff next year ).

Thanks for the advice. I'll use that DS2 with a 200-250 grain on it as the "woop'n" stick.
Old 05-15-2002, 03:49 PM

If you're looking at a St. Croix Legend Ultra, I would get the 9 weight. I think there are a host of other people who will second that.

I have one, love it, throw #9 intermediate & floating + a 325 grain QD all day. That's gonna be a much better striper rod than the DS2. Especially if you're only bringing one rod - I only carry a second when I'm yakking.

Don't forget the Temple Fork rods that have everyone all hot and bothered as well. I think you might save $100 or so on it.

Good luck.

Roop
Old 05-15-2002, 04:05 PM

What do you think?

I'm kicking around the idea of dragging my 16.5ft Sea Nymph Aluminum with a new 50hp Nissan on the back? Just a little aprehensive since I am unsure of the area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.