When is enough enough - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2002, 10:21 AM

When is enough enough

So I was sitting at my fly tying table last night and I went and pulled out my fly boxes. Well they are full. Basically no place to put the 5 new flies I tied. So here is the question. When is enough flies enough?

It sucks because I love to tie. So what are we to do? I went through and cleared out all the old flies that were falling apart or rusting hooks. But I still have a full box of brigth flies, darker summer flies, a small box of speys, and a fly wallet with black leeches.

The cross that we all have to carry. Is it bad to hope to loose a couple of flies an outing?

JJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2002, 10:39 AM
Fluff

Tie for future swaps; tie for your own free time next year, tie to give-away to friends, but if you love to tie, why, short of personal box storage, should you stop - can you not find a cigar box or two to squirrel away stock for the future?; jealousy rules here, as I'm certain many of us would love the luxury of extra time to tie - is it possible to sell some of your work? - regardless, Keep up the good work
Old 05-15-2002, 10:42 AM
Steelhead-a-holic

Talking Get A New Job--

So you have more time to lose flies!

DS
Old 05-15-2002, 11:46 AM

I have the same problem, all wallets and boxes are full, way to many flies, and I still want to tie more. It is sickness I think.

Last steelhead trip only needed two patterns and other hundred types, etc.. were not needed.

I was smiling when I lost flies, finally put a couple in the trees the last day and felt better to justify tieing some more

A fly fishermans dilemna for sure
Old 05-15-2002, 11:51 AM
President of CAC

Oh well.. I have the same issue... I can give them away... save them for display... but I know I will not use them all... But I enjoy tying them, holding them, looking at them, looking at them from different angle... figuring out how to creat new ones.....Twisting them around in my flingers... testing the hooks... placing them down in different configurations to take pictures.... STOP Typing JOHN...get a grip for God's sake!
Old 05-15-2002, 12:04 PM

Doublespey,

Hey I am not lucky enough at this time to have a job like Sinktip, you, Kush, etc to fish when ever I want. I work for the evil empire. Pays the bills and hopefully I get to retire early to fish year round at some point before I get old.

If I could find someone to pay me to fish, not guide just fish, I would be set.

My flies are functional flies not suitable for sale. Iwould rather give them away then sell them anyway. I never wanted fishing to be work anyway.

JJ
Old 05-15-2002, 12:32 PM

Being one of the tiny number of folks who have

ever held a spey rod, let alone fish with one makes me a bit of an oddity (No don't comment back on that one! ) Find one of the best ways to get folks into fly fishing, even if it's with a spinning rod and bubble-float, is to give them a handfull of flys to play with. Great to see somebody a week or so later and hear they took a fish or two with your toys.

I tie to keep my self from going completely nuts with what's on TV. Even with cable and a dish there probably isn't an hours worth of watchable TV most evenings. So better to tie than give Joan one more reason to consider the use of a heavy blunt object

fe
Old 05-15-2002, 02:31 PM

Hey Striblue,
If you had not stoped typing would you have gone so far as to say that you fill the kitchen sink, bath tub or use the backyard wading pool to test out your new creations? :hehe: Some days they look so good in the vice and ya just got to somehow try them out to see if they swim as good as they look.
Hope you are hooking plenty of stripers now.
OC
Old 05-15-2002, 02:45 PM

A simple answer

Jeff.
Visit a web site thats sells fly boxes. Type in your credit card, wait a day, realise you have lots of space rush back to the vice.

Malcolm

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 05-15-2002, 03:29 PM
President of CAC

Yes ,OC, I had to stop... drool came down the sides of my mouth as I was typing.. that's the signal to get back to reality.:hehe:
Old 05-15-2002, 03:42 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

I tie flies the night before I go fishing. Hardly ever lose them. Gave a couple away and the last fly I fished on the last day of the season I stuck in the top of a broken off fir tree. Don't know why, wonder if it will still be there next year. Anyway, I am a few flies short of a full box. LOL.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:01 PM
CND The Spey Underground

Hmm - no time to fish ... loves to tie flies ...

JJ, I think I have the answer.

- 1 doz. Lemire's Thompson Caddis #6
- 1 doz. Black Marabou GP - tubes please - 5"
- 1 doz. Doc Spratley Green-Butts #4
- 1 doz. Doc Spratley Green-Butts #6
- 1 doz. Dana's Thompson Stones tubes 1"

I'm off to Cape Cod in July - so:

- 1 doz. Juro's Deep Sand Eels
- 1 doz. Popovic's Small Squid
- 1 doz. Chernobyl Crabs
- I'll get back to you when I know more of what I'll need

If you can manage a bit of a rush order - I'm leaving for Sheridan Lake the day after tomorrow -

- 1/2 doz. Black Leeches
- 1/2 doz. Brown-Green Leeches
- 1 doz. Black Chironomids
- 1 doz. Green Chironomids

That should help you out - thanks!

Still Living Large!
Old 05-15-2002, 06:08 PM
Chief of E.P.

Serves you right Jeff. Great post Tyler!!
Old 05-15-2002, 09:31 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
JJ-
Will you accept orders that are to be tied on jig hooks??...I'll provide the hooks!!!
Old 05-15-2002, 10:07 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Wait a tic........

Sparkey, are you using flies tied on jig hooks under your strike indicators????? Hmmmmm????? Shame shame on you.

Now, onto flies. I'm anal about my flies. I'll tie up some, then realize a few months later I tied them like crap, then give them away/sell them and retie them up. LOL, have about 3 foam filled fly boxes and a couple open boxes for stashing my summerrun flies. I fill them up, empty them out (either manually in the river/tree or to another person) then retie. You NEVER have enough flies. So, just keep tying. If you enjoy it, who cares???? My girlfriend simply shakes her head and smiles. Hell, you could be doing worse things with your time, like yardwork, carwork, work work. I'll take fly tying anytime.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.