First cast, first fish! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2002, 08:16 AM

Thumbs up First cast, first fish!

I got out striper fishing for the first time last night and met with success. My buddy and I got out onto Joppa Flats at about 6:30 and on my first cast, I got a beautiful 11 inch striper! The next 4 casts resulted in 3 more fish, nudging up into the low and mid teens. We fished for about an hour and a half and I probably caught a dozen or so stripers. Nothing too big, but a lot of fun. All on a chartuse ove white clouser. It was a very encouraging way to start the season!
Dave Williams
Reading, MA
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2002, 08:38 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Dave,

That was me that left soon after you arrived. If you saw a guy hook up and lose a fish just as you walked off of the mud flat and into the water then that was me.

I started fishing with bigger flies in order to try and find some larger fish. Alas, all that I found was that I was missing hits from micro-bass.

It is too bad that we did not get a chance to fish together. I was only leaving because my wife was reading a book on the sea wall and I wanted to get back to her (I had been out for an hour).

I want to encourage future fishing outings by making sure that I do not strand her.

Hope to see you soon.

-Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2002, 12:22 PM

Mike,
Sorry I missed you. We were talking with an older gentleman who was telling us about his 40 years of fishing the area. Very interesting stuff. He had caught and released a 30 inch fish at the end of the outgoing tide. Yeah, my fish were all small, with the biggest probably 16". But, boy, was it fun being back out striper fishing! I'll be looking for you up there.
Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.