Nauset Beach Pictures - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-11-2002, 09:32 PM
President of CAC

Nauset Beach Pictures

Great day at Nauset.. bueatiful day but no fish... However.. the company was excellent.. Todd Murphy did his thing showing us the use of Floating lines in the surf, Ken Abrames came as well... Nice to see everyone..including Adrian, Pete (thanks for the journal and Lobster bouy), Jimmy, who stayed over at CAC and helped me greatly, Gregg, Thanks for the flys, Gregg D. Jeff B , FishHawk, Nick, Eddie, Bill Stanton, who I intend to meet at South Beach tomorrow morning, and everyone else. Juro called me later in the early evening and had my mouth drooling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00324.jpg
Views:	3980
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	425  

Last edited by striblue; 05-11-2002 at 09:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2002, 09:34 PM
President of CAC

More:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dsc00327.jpg
Views:	3816
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	426  
Old 05-11-2002, 09:35 PM
President of CAC

Another:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dsc00329.jpg
Views:	3783
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	428  
Old 05-11-2002, 09:59 PM
President of CAC

Another:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dsc00328.jpg
Views:	3644
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	429  
Old 05-11-2002, 10:19 PM

Uggghh, cold hard rain here in Chicago all day today and probably tomorrow. But we need it

Show the ladies next time please, little early for sun bathers isn't it ? Memorial day used to be the traditional opening of the beaches in NJ.
Old 05-11-2002, 10:25 PM
President of CAC

PM.. little breeze and 75 degrees...Mild surf,no white caps thats for sure.. there were sunbathers today... but we are getting your rain tomorrow. P.S. Todd Murphy's technique of using the floating line is a classic Steelhead technique... so you guys should be right at home if you make it here in the future.

Last edited by striblue; 05-11-2002 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-12-2002, 12:02 PM

I took the lessons taught by Todd and applied them to the Chatham area yesterday evening. Wow! Thanks Todd! I had a banner evening with a good number of 30 33 inchers a few 28s and a mess of smaller schoolies. It was some of the easiest fishing Ive ever done in terms of casting and retrieving. 20 casts semi-parallel to the beach, maintain contact with the fly no stripping, tap, hookset, and the fight was on.

Again, thanks Todd. Youve given new meaning to surf fishing for me.

BTW I saw huge school after huge school after huge school of stripers soooo many fish! They were mixed too. Twinkies herring sized swimming with high 30 40 inch fish. I didnt think they did that. Must just be a migratory thing.

Gregg
Old 05-12-2002, 01:25 PM

Great pics, Striblue. Thanks.

I stopped at the Nauset Angler at noon and with a hint of scepticism, Harry said Lets see. High tide at 12:15 and you guys are fishing floating lines. Maybe you ought to give these to Juro and Kenny. And with that, he handed me a couple of 3-ounce pyramid sinkers. Next time I see you, Juro, Ive got a highly un-sparse dull gray fly for you.

On the beach, Kenny Abrames asked me if Id tied the fly I had on my linea sort of mackeral-looking flatwing. I told him I had; said Id taken a tying course from some madman named Abrames a couple years ago. But I made the mistake of pointing out the plastic 3D eyes instead of jungle cock, and he told me itd never catch anything. Which was true yesterday. I told Todd Murphy the Abrames story later and Todd just smiled and said Ask Kenny where he finds tinsel trees.

Great day on the beach. Glad to put more faces with names. Thanks to all who made it happen.

Broadbill
Old 05-12-2002, 07:10 PM

THANKS TODD AND KENNY

It was another terrific day with the good folks on the Forum.
Kenny really has a unique prespective"Striped Bass are Panthers, not Cheetahs." See you all on the beach.
Old 05-12-2002, 07:14 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Wanted to thank Todd and Kenney as well. Todd, thanks for the personal assistance as well as your perspective on stripers...it really got me thinking. A whole new approach to not only the surf but fishing in general. I like the flies you showed me and can't wait to give some imitations a try. I am looking forward to the rest of the seminars, the overnighter sounds like a blast.
Old 05-12-2002, 10:44 PM
Flats Rat

A terrific day, well captured by the pics John. A big thanks to Todd and Kenney for giving their time to pull this together.

John spotting that "fish" break surface in the middle of Todds demonstration will remain one of the high points! I will not elaborate any further here but it will make a great "apres fish" drinking story sometime:hehe:

A few of us joined Todd and Kenney after dark at the Mill pond which was fascinating. The place was loaded with Hickory shad which were tight lipped but a few guys hooked a couple. I decided to dangle a big black eel-punt from the bridge and something crashed at it like a dustbin hitting the water - just as well it missed Todd managed a bright 24 incher at around midnight and I hooked up but couldn't get a hook set. Finally hit the wall at 01:00 at the light house.

I caught my smallest striper yet today at Chatham - had to be less than 8 inches - fin perfect, bright and covered in sea lice. I wonder where he came from? .

I told him to hurry up and grow bigger before those big bad bluefish arrive

Also caught a $25 parking ticket - I guess the Yak made the jeep look rather conspicuous. It was worth it though to have all that space pretty much to myself all day. Big gurl and environs look to have a lot of potential including some interesting sight fishing opportunities over the coming weeks.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:54 AM
Just Plain Nuts

It was great to see all of my old friends again and to make a few new ones. Sorry I couldn't stay for the night time striper hunt but... that's life. Thanks for the roof over my head John. Let me know when you want to do the windows.:hehe:
Old 05-13-2002, 07:47 PM
President of CAC

Broadbill, I stoped in to see Harry around 12:30 and he was have a great time telling us what he thought of the floating line and was trying to sell me some sort of sinking thing, also... Good to see his shop is looking great..Jimmy, do you know who would have left a "Stamford rescue Squad" tee shirt at the cottage... looked good on me today
Old 05-13-2002, 07:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Hey Adrian,
Where'd you dissapear to? I sat down to eat my sandwich and you vapourized. Ian and I headed back shortly after you got out of the water. I looked around the berm and you were gone. We got back to the lot just as the rain started, there were no tickets at that time but the harbor master was lurking. Good fishing with you. See ya next time.

The boy is hooked. Ian's 1st Cape Cod Striper- ( he already has the Kennebec licked)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dsc_012.jpg
Views:	3215
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	436  

Last edited by Chris; 05-13-2002 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-14-2002, 04:34 AM
Flats Rat

Chris

That means thats me in the background!

I wanted to have a peak on the surf side but it looked a bit boring with no Surf! Didn't see any activity so came back over. I just saw you and Ian disappearing round the corner - sorry I missed you. The walk back was very interesting !

Congrats to Ian on his first Striper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.