Spring Flies II - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2001, 07:36 AM

Spring Flies II

I know a guy who has an Easter tradition of doing some type of fly fishing & he's thinking tomorrow might be right for schoolies. I was asked what I liked for flies for the first schoolies of the season and advised that my first always came on small white clousers.

Two questions for the friends of the forum:

1. What do you have success with?

2. Do you think it really matters with the aggressive first wave?

I know Capt. Ray shared that his olive & white flies are working well in RI.

Roop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2001, 09:21 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Good question Jeff -

I find the fish very willing in the early wave and it seems they will take anything when in open water and hunting.

Up inside the estuaries where the dark bottoms and warmer water is found (even when a front moves in) I go with a pattern that looks like a silverside/sandeel/juvie all rolled up into a lot, no name for it but it's essentially a deceiver pattern with a mix of feather and synthetics.

Once May comes around the popper is a great way to go because it attracts their attention and they are not hesitant to blast the surface.

When fishing the outgoing tide currents, the line and action of the fly is more important than the pattern itself until they get more selective later on.

In deeper holes I go with the deep eel tied smaller to match the bait that's around early.

I used to fish sliders a lot in spring because they are a very castable fly with the ability to fish well up or down in the column. I've tied them on sinking lines and have done just as well as with other patterns.

The exception is targeting the herring runs and the first big cows - you'll see some of my biggest patterns of the year being chucked then.

So to summarize, I fish generalized baitfish patterns in smaller sizes for the most part except when targeting herring runs where I fish the biggest herring patterns of the year.
Old 04-14-2001, 10:11 AM
President of CAC

I have always used small clousers made with superhair..yellow ,chartreuse,white, green, andblue ...about 1 to 2 inches in length. this year,since I have started tying flies.. I will also try small minnow patterns that I have tied ... anything small.
Old 04-14-2001, 11:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
Ray's fly, I caught schoolies and shad on em last spring in Deluxbury harbor. Tom D
Old 04-14-2001, 05:16 PM

Can't go wrong with the little green and white clouser in the North River. I like swinging a small Ray's fly in some clear running water around dusk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.