South Fork Update - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Satisfied

South Fork Update

Midges are going....
Bring a few BWO's.....
Streamer bite was ON!

That is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2007, 01:43 PM

South Fork is red hot

Fishing on the South Fork of the Snake is red hot right now. Fish are active and everywhere.

We fished on the lower south fork. The morning was slow, however by the end of the day we had landed 108 trout on streamers.

GIve us a call for the fly fishing trip of your life.

Matt Berry
(non-sponsor information / link removed)

Last edited by juro; 04-05-2007 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:26 PM
I bent my wookie

Wow, someone can count.

So, is this just an overt (not very good one) way to drum up business or is it just time to thump your chest? I know angling means many different things to many different people but attempting to impress others with fish count on a public fly fishing forum is sophmorish at best. Good luck out there and don't catch them all, oh wait...it looks like you did.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Satisfied

^^^^^ This outta be good! ^^^^^^

In other news......the Snake around JH is fishing really well also!
Old 04-06-2007, 01:13 PM
I bent my wookie

Lips...yes we will see, that type of ballyhoo just gets to me, believe me you haven't heard the last of it. Good to hear that that snake up JH way is fishing well. We were on the SF last week and had a great time, sorry I can't give you an actual fish count but that really isn't what it is all about. How is the snow pack up in JH looking?
Old 04-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Satisfied

We are hurtin'!!! Last week helped out a bit. I haven't checked the Snotel site in a while...I'm afraid to! As you know, our resevoirs are looking good, so that should help out the cause a little. April and May in JH are usually the deciding months on the issue though...unless we have a REALLY big winter.
Hoping for a wet spring!!!!
Old 04-06-2007, 01:25 PM
I bent my wookie

water

We all are hoping for that! Last time I checked it looked like Jackson and Palisade's had some good water in them...we need some water this spring though.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:41 PM
I bent my wookie

Salt....

Lips, how is the Salt looking right now?
Old 04-06-2007, 02:24 PM
but the scenery's great

I hate to pile it on, but this is too much......

As unsettling as the number counting/chest thumping is, what is more troublesome is the blatant use of this site to drum up business. I have spent (wasted) a hell of a lot of time of fly fishing sites over the years, and this one, more than others, seems to have a pile of dudes that know their ****-moreso than other sites.

I realize that there a lot of guides and lodge people on the site that are generally pretty cool and understand this is a "grassroots" and informal site meant to share information, not to scare up sports. We have some major/topshelf steelhead anglers/guides on here who's wisdom is invaluable. But not once have I read about "call me - fish in the river" or "hooked 28, 20 pound steelhead yesterday" and really don't expect to.

Matt, for what its worth, much like the guy skiing in Levi's or the BYU fan at a Utah game, you do not want to be the "30 inch, 100 fish a day" guy. Trust me. The time will come in your career when that will not be appealing to you. Not trying to scare you off or bust you up, but I would like to encourage you to tone it down and maybe look at other avenues for sports.

SFUte, what part of Idaho do you live in? I have a drift boat and am on the South Fork of the Snake about 15-20 days a year. Want to get together for a float, 28 beers and 200+ fish a day sometime?
Old 04-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Satisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Shanks
As unsettling as the number counting/chest thumping is, what is more troublesome is the blatant use of this site to drum up business. I have spent (wasted) a hell of a lot of time of fly fishing sites over the years, and this one, more than others, seems to have a pile of dudes that know their ****-moreso than other sites.

I realize that there a lot of guides and lodge people on the site that are generally pretty cool and understand this is a "grassroots" and informal site meant to share information, not to scare up sports. We have some major/topshelf steelhead anglers/guides on here who's wisdom is invaluable. But not once have I read about "call me - fish in the river" or "hooked 28, 20 pound steelhead yesterday" and really don't expect to.

Matt, for what its worth, much like the guy skiing in Levi's or the BYU fan at a Utah game, you do not want to be the "30 inch, 100 fish a day" guy. Trust me. The time will come in your career when that will not be appealing to you. Not trying to scare you off or bust you up, but I would like to encourage you to tone it down and maybe look at other avenues for sports.

SFUte, what part of Idaho do you live in? I have a drift boat and am on the South Fork of the Snake about 15-20 days a year. Want to get together for a float, 28 beers and 200+ fish a day sometime?

I haven't been around here all that long but you seem to have nailed it as far as this forum goes.

I have never met Matt but have spent a significant amount of time on the Lodge property over the years being that a buddy lives next door. They run a respectable operation!!! He may have crossed the line here....hopefully he won't tag his business again. The staff at his property would add a lot of knowledge to the trout forum here! ---Just leave the biz tag out Matt--

BTW Geordie: Anytime you want to have a 28 beer day on the South Fork..........I'm in! I don't care how many fish come to hand!
Old 04-06-2007, 03:45 PM
but the scenery's great

Oh its on Sucka!!

Well said. I honestly am not trying to embarass or ridicule Matt, I know how it can be trying to get some work lined up and wish him the best. This is just not the place for it.

It is on for the SF this year!! You bring the 28 beers (42 if SFute comes) and we will go tear it up. Or ground out on a bar and/or tip the boat and drown. One of the two. Either way, it's on!!
Old 04-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Satisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Shanks
It is on for the SF this year!! You bring the 28 beers (42 if SFute comes) and we will go tear it up. Or ground out on a bar and/or tip the boat and drown. One of the two. Either way, it's on!!

Maybe we outta get a jet boat in the mix??

Seriously, I am always into avoiding responsibility...PM me if anyone wants to get on the water.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Satisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforkute
Lips, how is the Salt looking right now?
Running at 811cfs today. A little high! I haven't been down there to see it for 2 weeks....but 2 weeks ago it was a mess.

The good thing about the Salt is that it usually clears before other rivers around here do.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:23 PM
I bent my wookie

Now that is crossing the line!

Excessive amounts of alcohol, bs'ing around the campfire is great by me...but as soon as someone brings up "jet boat" on the SF I am out of the mix.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:24 PM
I bent my wookie

Salt...

Great stretch of water, I wish there was a little more regulation on the flows....if there was it would be even "that" much better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.