Southwest NH Trip - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2002, 04:33 PM
Here fishy, fishy, fishy!

Send a message via AIM to Stone Send a message via Yahoo to Stone
Talking Southwest NH Trip

Going out to the Otter Brook tonight for an unexpected trip to the water. (wife is out looking at houses on the seacoast with the little one)

If anyone is in the area, swing by where Route 9 goes over. I am going down there with the Waders to see what is biting.

Will give a report in the AM.

Have fun all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2002, 09:31 AM

OK, the brook way WAY to high for the fish to be eating, but I figured I would try and get a few nymphs in the slow pockets around the bridge to see if I could find any hungry fish taking cover...

Not a bite, but I DID lose three of my favorite flies trying (got caught in the heavy brush on the other side. Water was to fast to cross to retreive them.)

Learned my lesson and moved on.

Drove out to 123 and remembered a trout pond I saw in my atlas was down there... Pulled over and read the map. Saw there actually were two near by, but time was running short, so I figured I would get to the first body of water I saw and see what was biting. Found a little bog that was nice and clear water. Peepers making all sorts of noise and plenty of bug action. Pulled out the Griffiths Gnatt to see if there were any takers.

Nothing, not even a rise. So, since I went out for dinner tonight (usually catch and release, but MAN was I craving trout) I figured I would move on to the fly fishing only pond in the atlas.

WILLARDS POND.

Beautiful water. Crystal clear and the trees around the water made for NO WIND. Sandy bottom with a lot of boulders around. If I would have had a canoe, it would have been idea, but alas, it was a last minute trip so all I had was my waders.

Waded beyond the entrance and over to a conclave of rocks. Before I went around a really large one, I figured I would give it a cast or two... Tied on a Yellow Hornberg, my last one as I only brought two (new pattern I was trying out and didn't want to take up too much fly box real estate on an unproven pattern) and it was one of the flys I lost back in Otter Brook.

First cast, goes taught on my first retreival, 'oh great, got it stuck IN the rocks'..... nope, that ROCK was a big old Brookie... YAHOO!, dinner tonight...

Put up a hell of a fight, let the line go in and out as I could, then I saw my end loop knot slide right up against my line... Didn't think much of it. I kept the fight up and got him right under my feet, still splashin' and swimmin'. As I reach back for my landing net, he takes another run to shelter, almost lost my balance and in the excitement I just grabbed the line... **SNAP** There goes that loop knot, and the fish.

Poor fish, that hook was set good and now he has a whole leader/tippet trailing behind him. Can't do much for him at this point...

Not another bite all night as I had nothing yellow in the box, let alone the same pattern.

At least I found a nice spot close to home (45 min ride) and now I KNOW there are good trout in there.

For dinner - a bowl of cookies and cream icecream... it's not trout, but it was sweet...
Old 05-08-2002, 10:16 AM

Hi Stone, Hornbergs are an under rated fly in my book. They can be fished as a dry or wet, and imitate a caddis or a fry. Mine normally have a yellow hackle tip under a mallard breast feather (folded like a tent). Does this match up with your experiment?
Old 05-08-2002, 12:07 PM

Yellow Hornberg

This is the pattern I made for my Yellow Hornberg.

Hook: TMC 2302 "Hump shanked, Down eye Nymph" Size 10
Thread: White 8/0 Unithread
Tail: Yellow dyed Buck Tail
Body: Yellow Rayon - "Domuilles Heavy Flat Floss"
Wings: Mallard Wing (one cut, not from each of a pair)
Hackle: Dyed Yellow

After Tying on, Secure a thread of Copper wire. Wrap wire down just before bend of hook.

Tie in one long strand of Rayon Floss. Wrap to cover over wire and back to head. Secure at head.

Tie thread over floss 1/3 of the way down the shank. Tie in tail (only 3 to 5 strands of Yellow Bucktail). Cut any extra hanging beyond 1 CM from the hook.

Tie wing as a tent over the tail to end just before the end of the hook.

Tie in hackle (sweet spot - in the webbing). Tie secure hackle just before the eye.

Cut down hackle to be no more than 2 CM in lenght (leaving behind only the part of the feather closest to the barb.)

As you can tell, this is a fly used as a wet only. Sinks at a rate of about 1 foot per every five seconds. Nice action when pulled to retreive. (caught a fish on the first pull, remember???)
Old 05-08-2002, 12:18 PM

That fly sounds interesting Stone. I'll give it a try.
Old 05-08-2002, 01:59 PM

Let me know if it works for you too... I added it to the archive of patterns also, for the rest to find that wouldn't normally look in this thread.
Old 05-09-2002, 12:04 PM

Stone,
Iliked your report. I also like hornbergs. Mass stocked trout always have a sweet spot for them in stillwaters. Nice to have a report from that area. New territory and your the man.

Lefty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.