Does anybody use... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2002, 10:06 AM
Will fish for beer

Does anybody use...

specialized leaders such as braided or furled ones for stripers, etc.?

If it's not recommended, why not? Just curious.

Brian
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --by Jack Handy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2002, 11:08 AM

Leader Question

Personally no. I use very simple leader set ups. Butt section of 50-40lb ( 3ft ) to 30-20lb ( 2ft ) to 15-10lb (1-2ft). I try not to get fancy because most of the time they are not leader shy. If using sinking lines go even shorter. Keep it as simple as possible. Alot of the time I use a straight piece of 10-16lb floro about 3ft long from the butt section. I know its not the best rig and lends to turn over problems but it works and as long as the fish don't care either do I.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:40 AM

you could

i furl my own leader and sell them too..........you might be able to if you furl one out of braided bass line such as fireline you will never break that but the problem is you might break your flyline......if anyone's interested in buy a leader fish4urlife@hotmail.com
Old 11-25-2005, 11:10 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

For most striper fishing the leader's function is to distance the fly from the fly line with a clear stealthy section, very important in flats sight fishing but hardly a matter worth great concern in surf, rips or night fishing.

Secondly the leader needs to turn over big heavy flies, but that again is no more than a matter of energy transfer from the line itself thus any 20# test will do when you are throwing big heavy flies anyway.

All the trouble in the world will only get you an encounter with a bluefish or two, then it's back to wire tippet to save flies.

There are a lot of things to dial into to be a successful striper fisherman but the finesse of a leader's taper isn't at the top of that list IMHO.

and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 11-25-2005, 02:24 PM

Juro is right on the money like always.

Saltwater leaders are used to connect the fly to the fly line. This gives it distance from the colored fly line. The fly itself has significant weight and momentum during the cast. The leader is the median between the fly line and fly that connects both.

Fresh water is a totally different animal. Since most flies are weightless and have a great deal of wind resistance, the leader is the vehicle to present the cast. One actually is casting the fly line and leader and not the fly. The fly just goes along for the ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.