Juro or Deep sand eel- Full Box - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2002, 11:27 PM
President of CAC

Juro or Deep sand eel- Full Box

My number one fly box is already to go for the season or until I run out.. I have them in various sizes and weights ... there are also some without clouser eyes... all tyed With unique hair
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00320.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	417  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2002, 11:46 PM

John. these are great ties, as are all the other ones you have displayed. I was waiting for you to slow down but I can't see that happening soon...
Keep it going and keep a few for my next visit......
Old 05-08-2002, 07:14 AM
Middle Aged Member

John,
Have you fished any with the unique hair yet? Jury's still out from what I see. Tend to snarl but I'm not sure they are any worse than super hair. And easy to unsnarl.
Old 05-08-2002, 07:36 AM
President of CAC

Fred, I have not fished the uniques hair yet.. but I suspect that it will act the same as Superhair.. I like the thinner profiles and There is really nothing you can do about the fouling but as you said it is easy to comb out. In order to avoid fouling I have one or two in the box with have a corsair cover to the hook bend as you might notice... The fly is so effective that it's worth the fouling problem and it only starts to foul after alot of use.
Old 05-09-2002, 06:58 PM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

Deep Sand Eel

Well, I looked the pattern up in the archives, but I'm still a little unclear about the tying. How does it differ from a deep clouser minnow? Sorry for my density...

Best regards,

-Doc
Old 05-09-2002, 07:25 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Clouser's famous fly is called the deep minnow, although people just call it a 'clouser'. If I were him, I would hate that because it kind of nullifies all the other patterns I developed.

Anyway, this fly is called the "deep eel" in respect to Mr.Clouser because it uses the barbell eyes like the deep minnow. I had the same reaction when I got two from an acquaintance. But over time I see a huge difference, personally.

The way I tie them is quite different. If you omit the eyes from each they would have little or nothing in common. One is 2-3 times the length of the other, one uses bucktail the other none, one's thread wraps over the body the other doesn't. There is a synthetic tapering technique I developed that is used for one but is irrelevant for the other. It's kinda hard to describe so I won't bother.

They must be different. If I went to a fly shop and saw both patterns for sale, I would buy what I could afford of one pattern but zero of the other, but thats just me.

I would recommend just tying them anyway you feel comfortable, it's really where you put the fly that makes all the difference anyway.

The fish can't tell the difference!
Old 05-09-2002, 07:34 PM
President of CAC

Doc... I tie them this way. Set up the clouser hook. With the hook pointing down .I will add the flash first..usually just pearl flashabou to represent the silver strip down the midddle of the sand eel. I will then place the white (Unique or super hair over the flash. the hair and flash is secured like the usual clouser over the middle bar of the barbells , secured both in front and in back of the eyes. Be sure to take the white hair before it is placed on the hook, hold on to the end and slowly "pull" several strands out a little ways... The purpose is to have a natural point at the back or end of the fly... you can always cut with sissors but this is better. You would do this with the other material. Now... reverse the hook and plce your lighter colors first with the darker ones at the top. Be sure to only tie it in in FRONT of the eye (closest to the eye of the hook) and hold it so it will not roll .Juro will put some angel hair in between.. I don't. For example, I will mix my colors.. for the usual fly I will put 5 or 6 (or 10)strands of yellow, then chartruese, then forest geen, then olive.... That would be it. Sometimes I will put a topping of black. The shades of the fly will look light to dark from bottom to top. The flash should be prominent as it is on the actual eel and will appear in the middle of the fly... Remember.. thin profile .if you add too large a bunch of hair as you build you will get a short fat eel. Do them in defferent length.. For "baby" eels ,only 3 to 4 inches, make them even sparser,even 3 or 4 strands will do it. Finally ,I now put in only 2 or 3 strands of purple or violet as the firsr layer on the inverted hook..before the yellow. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.