What to do? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2002, 03:14 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Unhappy What to do?

I need something else to do and read. The sled topic, although interesting is getting old.

Rivers closed. No steelhead fishing for at least a month. Tried trout fishing at a fly only lake. Fun but, they definitely are not steelhead. Was going to fish the humpy/chum hatch in the lower river for searuns but, was told by the searun experts all the cutts were flushed out of the river during the last high water. Searun cutts arenít steelhead but, are a lot more enjoyable than planted trouts in a lake.

Where does a steelheader go this time of year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2002, 03:35 PM

Kerry tell me about it. All I can think of is steelhead. Trout just don't hold my attention like they used to. Maybe because I am not a good trout fisherman anymore. I like the feel of moving water not really lakes.

What can we do to fill this month
1) Tie flies who cares if you already have enough
2) Read books. Any one have any suggestions a good steelhead read out there. I just finished Mist on the River it was OK.
3) Sulk like the kid who is grounded for a month.

I don't know what do to do with myself. Oh well always remember June 1 ain't that far away. And you could always sneak down to SW Washington if you really need a steelhead fix.

JJ
Old 05-03-2002, 03:48 PM
LBFF Mojo

May is always fun for eastside lakes. Nothing like a 7-8 pound trout on a 4-5wt. Westside lakes do not have the size of the fish on the other side of the mountains. As long as youmatch your tackle to the fish it can still be fun.

Sure they aint steelhead but a nice diversion before the summer really starts up.

Much better than sulking .

-sean
Old 05-03-2002, 04:16 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Definitely head down to the Columbia tribs IMHO! Plenty of fish, open rivers, springers, and enough steelhead to make it interesting. There are few fish hotter than a May summer run. Go for springer chinook on a fly! I have done it, it's hard but well worth it.

There is a May opener at Sekiu for blackmouth and halibut most years. You might not get a tyee but you're definitely going to have a good chance to hook some blackmouth if you really try and there will be plenty of rockfish to make a heck of a fish fry back at the lodge (off-season rates).

If you are really bored, how about a squawfish clave? At the bounty rates they're paying you should be able to pay for the hotel, gas tank, food and lodging and maybe even a little cash for the pocket as well.

If you have frequent flyer miles think about popping out to the northeast to sample some stripers, we've earned the start of our season thru a long winter.

Great time of year to visit the Florida Keys for tarpon, bones, etc.
Old 05-03-2002, 04:56 PM
LBFF Mojo

Did not mention the sw columbia tribs cause I knew Juro would .

The cowlitz always has steelhead in it and while they are not native they make up for it in sheer numbers. Plan to spend a lot of time fishing it this summer once the flows come down.

-sean
Old 05-03-2002, 05:29 PM

As you know Sean there are actually a few nates and a fair number of streamborns in the Cow from tribs like the Newaukum (sp?) and from the numerous redds you can find in the mainstem and it's branches in late winter / early spring. A mere drip in the bucket compared to the hatchery numbers, but they are there.

I once caught a huge buck down below the I-5 stretch that looked like it came from Trey Combs book. Every fin perfect, deep body shape, adipose as big as my thumb. I had a notion where that fish was born and it's a right turn tens of miles below Blue Creek.

East Fork of the Lewis is another sweet spring river, as is the Kalama. North Fork has a lot of springers in it but nothing compared to the Oregon side.

On that topic, there is a little shindig called THE SPEY CLAVE that one might get interested in... including me! I am really close to pulling this off, believe it or not

There is a whole world out there beyond the Skagit, Sauk, Skykomish and Stilly - right there for the taking!
Old 05-03-2002, 05:58 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
I'm lucky I guess

Remember when alot of these rivers were year around open??? I've pretty much tuned myself to the one month closure. I only fish a few rivers religously. I don't stray much. It's better to know, and fish, a few streams effeciently then to know a little about alot of them. I can wait a month. Gives me time to actually get some yard work done, fix the cars, do some home improvements, yada yada yada. Once fishing season starts again, any free time I have is for fishing.

I haven't fished the Cow or tribs down there in quite awhile. Don't like fishing down that way. Been meaning to fish the Lewis, but just never made it there lately. But I digress. Would rather pursue fish on the Chehalis system, and the West side OlyPen once they open. That's my forte.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:38 PM

SSHHHHHH No fish down south
Old 05-03-2002, 11:43 PM

Boy do you guys got it bad. Here you have a chance to have a month off and rest up, chase women or your wife, play with kids, do all those chores like paint the kitchen or mow the weeds that have been growing at an alarming rate for the last 2.5 months. Sorry I said rest up, fishing or not there never seems like there is time to rest. For me the month off is a good time to visit friends I ignore all winter because of steelhead. Funny thing our winter season is over as it is now May but you wouldn't know it by the weather, it's still like January out there this weekend.
And I confess, I really don't know what to do with myself this weekend without steelhead fishing. Hope we can figure it out
Old 05-04-2002, 12:00 AM

Lightbulb North of the border?

Kerry
Don't some of the north of the border
rivers convert to fly only starting the month of
may??? I don't know for sure but I think
I heard that river like the vedder are open for
fly fishing only right know. It might be worth
looking into, especially since you are north to
begin with.

Speyflyfisher
Old 05-04-2002, 08:04 AM

Ahhh the Vedder when I was fly fishing there in winter 1986 for todays I did not see another fly fisher for winter steelhead. I was the only one which was surprising.

There were the Silex outfits and bait casting guys drifting their roe, corkies, and pink plastic worms. The pink worms surprised me almost thought they were bass fishing and I was on the wrong river.

It was a nice little river though and I could see good fly fishing water in many locations, particularly upstream towards the hatchery.

Never been back though, I was there on business for a couple of weeks then and packed the steelhead gear. Actually wanted to go over to the Stamp River on the island, but I did not have enough time.
Old 05-04-2002, 09:24 AM

Pink worms in 1986???
Old 05-04-2002, 11:42 AM

I was up on the N/fork of the Sky about 10 years ago and I saw a guy using them and I asked him what he was doing and he told me that is how they catch steelhead in Canada. Pink worm and bobber. It's the HONEST truth. Jim
Old 05-04-2002, 12:38 PM
CND The Spey Underground

Pink worms - on the Vedder.

The first pink worms I saw on the Vedder had to be in the mid to late 70's (maybe RLN could be more exact). Nevertheless, they have been an accepted and deadly lure here in BC for way longer than our cross-border cousins believe. I remember lamenting not having any while fishing on the Squamish where I "substituted" a then new fly pattern - the General Practitioner under my float! As I recall, it was indeed a deadly worm fly!

As for the Vedder, it becomes fly only on May 1, from the Vedder Crossing down. The problem becomes the run-off. Most years you get a few days then it goes out. Last year with the Puget Sound rivers closed, I fished it a little in April. While dodging the hordes of bubbas and their rubber worms and guts et al, we did manage to catch a few wild fish. We were looking forward to the fly only season. While it didn't go out, the water levels rose 3-4 feet and the fish became very hard to find - it is likely they moved up river into the closed section. We hit a couple of more times and gave up. Then the innevitable happened - at last for me - the lure of interior trout took over.

Is it worth a trip north for you guys? It depends on how bad your "Jones" is. The river is open, there is a chance for fish - but it is something of a crap shoot. It would make more sense if the fly season were to start a little earlier - even April 15 - it would make a huge difference. IMHO making a trip up to the Vedder during the height of the run and general open season would provide a less than acceptable experience for most flyfishermen. It is a shame, but the bubbas need to fish somewhere.

Still Living Large!

Last edited by kush; 05-04-2002 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-04-2002, 12:49 PM

Yes I could not beleive my eyes when I saw the Pink Worms in 1986. Never seen them since. Not used here, but I think some of the spinning guys are starting to use jig heads with rubber tails on the end, etc... I never see the Bubbas I am on the fly only water most of the time with my types, you know guys like you all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.