Off Topic - What T. Jefferson didn't originate... - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2002, 02:49 AM

Off Topic - What T. Jefferson didn't originate...

Sinktip,

Seems Thomas Jefferson isn't the originator of the quote, "I might not like what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it". A little research shows that this is a paraphrase of Voltaire's words in his "Essay On Tolerance" attributed to Evelyn Beatrice Hall under the pseudonym S. G. Tallentyre and published in "Friends of Voltaire" (1906). The original quote's time of origin is 1770 and may have been picked up by Jefferson during the time he spent in France, hence the erroneous connection though the true text does differ somewhat.

Thought you might like to know...

S.Russell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2002, 11:08 AM
Chief of E.P.

Steven,

Yep I know. I thought it was Voltaire as I had often over the years attributed it to him but after you mentioned Jefferson, I got to wondering if I had been off track. I did a little web research to confirm. Makes little difference, it is an outstanding line from whatever source.

Duggan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.