Striper blues out west - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2002, 10:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to fish-head
Striper blues out west

I have been fishing for Stripers in a lake that goes to the Ocean .I caught my first Striper on a fly last Sunday . Here are my question,s . #1 Everybody told me that you had to throw a leadcore head . The lake has flat's all the way around it with a couple channel's running through it . Depth of the the flat's are 1 to 4' then the channel which has been about 20' . #2 Iwas told to fish to the flat's ? #3 Water Temp 50 to 52 . #4 Visability 10' into the channel , Flat's endless. #5 I swithced to a slime line ,I feel that I am covering the water well . How would you guy's fish this . Not sure it matter's there is a current that goes through the lake ?Thank's Fish-Head
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2002, 05:58 PM

Lake going to ocean with lots of flats

Try fishing from low tide in the channels first.
the closer to the ocean entrance the better.
Use clouser or decievers. in about a three inch length to start( looks like small minnow, shrimp, etc.) Goe to different size as bait become apparent. You might also try counting down the clousers till you catch fish. If the fish are spooking try early morning or late evening after the yahoos go home or arrive. don't ignore the flats the fish will get there eventually fish the channels first. Anything over fifty degrees should get you fish. I am guessing you have a tide.
Old 05-05-2002, 07:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to fish-head
L.R. I am not sure how far this lake is from salt . I would guess over a hundred miles ? I landed small 3 Striper's today ? I am throwing clouser's at them . I fished mostly today in 4 to 6' of water near the bank around the lake . Another learning curve for me . I have not tried any Deciever's yet or any Ray's flies yet ? From what I have heard there are shad and other bait fish that come into this lake also ? Still have skull cramp's but it is worth every cast .Thank's for the input . Fish-head

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.