Do You Flatten Barbs on Circle Hooks? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2002, 08:29 AM
_

Question Do You Flatten Barbs on Circle Hooks?

I usually crush the barbs on my hooks. One of the flies I received in the fly swap was tied on a circle hook, and I wasn't sure if I should flatten the barb or leave it intact. What do you guys do? Thanks.
Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2002, 01:11 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...down with barbs!...

Q...I was out just this morning and was using a circle hook herring flatwing tied late last night...for some reason I had neglected to de-barb at the bench...(it's a good idea to do so before getting it wet)...I got to tango with six striped volunteers and the first one to chase away the skunk smell was a "stinker" setting free. Pliers to the rescue...adios amigo!
The shape of the circle hook lends itself to going barbless...release is eased and stress to the victim is minimized! And the fish like it too!
Do the right thing!
Old 05-04-2002, 08:03 PM

Crush the barb. While I dont use them for flies I've found that with circle hooks its tough to release fish unless its crushed.
Old 05-04-2002, 10:00 PM
_

Thanks guys, that's what I figured. I just thought I'd ask first since it's an irreversible procedure.
Q
Old 05-06-2002, 08:40 AM
Fluff

In a much older thread, same subject, I mentioned filing barb away. I've noticed I don't necessarily flatten or crimp barb as much as I seem to snap it off flush to the shoulder. When I go to crimp a barb. the pliers just SLAM closed at a point where, on inspection, I discover I've unceremoniously snapped the barb off. So, while the hook is mounted in the vise, it's worth it to me to take a file to the barb shoulder.

Has anyone else noticed a similar trend? I'm not using any exotic hook material, just Mustad or Varivas or TMC.

Regarding the circle hook: crimping can't be bad.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:00 AM

Dave, I've noticed that some barbs snap off when pinched. It seems to happen more often on hooks that are more difficult to sharpen. I think it is related to the parameters of the hardening process during manufacture.

I haven't filed off the barb on these for 2 reasons. First, they are hard to get a good bite with the file on them. Second, if I use a dremel tool I stand a 50-50 chance of overheating the metal and annealing the point by mistake.
Old 05-06-2002, 10:05 AM
Fluff

Discussion

I use toolmaker's die files or a simple single cut bastard file. If I chuck the hook far enough back in the jaws and file on a bias, I get the required metal cut I want, or tip the jaw slightly up and clamp almost on top of the barb for resistance. I didn't think of manufacturers' processing; thanks. Further, I can see using a Dremel if the hook's just being kissed enough times to take away the material, no constant heat generated. Since somebody stole all my tools, I haven't replaced the Dremel.
Old 05-09-2002, 03:05 PM
Recent Member

One of the benefits of my Regal vise is that the spring loaded jaws are more than capable of pinching the barb flat. Plus I have on a rare occasion had the hook break on me when I've pinched a barb while out on the water. This usually happens when I put the pliers across the barb in a perpendicular fashion in relation to the hook point. By pinching the barb at the tying table before I've put any thread on the hook, I've saved some time and materials by breaking a bare hook as opposed to one fully dressed. Plus too, you know that every barb you've tied has been pinched.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.