Fly Swap Flies Received! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2002, 05:25 PM
_

Fly Swap Flies Received!

Veeeeery nice work everybody! Here's what I got:

If you recognize your fly let me know which one it is and I'll report on my success with it.

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2002, 06:50 PM

I Got Mine Too!

The Epoxy Near the top, farthest left looks like one of Mine!

I have several the same as you, as a matter od fact I have all of them & more (remember, I tied 15, so I got More Back!)

I really like the White Bunny & the Full Dressed Deep Eel; I also have a very nice Black Snake that looks very sweet !

Thanks Very Much for putting this Together Gregg!

& thanks to all for your creative efforts!

I think I'll put them all in a seperate case & track how they catch!!
Old 05-03-2002, 07:24 PM
Fly chucker

I also had a treat waiting for me at home. Q, I got the same bonito bunny, surf candy, and circle hook fly that you have, and I also got a big eye herring deciever, a crease fly, and a clouser/crazy charlie hybrid with monofilament eyes and white/black/pink/blue hair.

Nicely done everyone! I look forward to putting them through their paces as the season progresses.
Old 05-03-2002, 07:25 PM

Thumbs up

I received my flies in the mail today and they look awesome!! Thanks to everyone who participated! Gregg, thank you very much for running this! I hope to test out a couple of the flies tomorrow at PI.
Dave Williams
Old 05-03-2002, 10:09 PM

just got through taking a second (& closer) look at my flies. I found that Every single one had some subtle creative "Flare" that could not be found in your "run-of-the-mill" commercially tied fly.
Having been tying for only a year & a half I can only begin to understand the effort & tallent that went into all of these "fish-getters" At this point, I can only hope the my work "measures up" You guys really Out-did your selves & I look forward to fishing these flies with confidence.

One final note on the pattern I decided to tie. Last year I found this to be one of my "go-to" fly for many Striper situations including Beaches, Estuaries, Flats, Rips & River mouths. I think I caught more Stripers, in more varied situations, on this fly than any other Single fly (with the deep eel or its variants as a close second!). However, It never produced a real "monster" striper for me (I think 31" was my biggest). However, However, this fly did Produce "Big" on RI Albies (up to 9.5 lbs.)! If you are in Doubt, take a close look at the Video that Capt. Ray shot of A Big Ablie day & note the Fly that one particular Albie "Spits" out on the Deck of his Boat !!

Tight Lines, Bring it on!!
Old 05-04-2002, 09:00 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Quentin,
The bunny is mine, I got lots of takes on it from Albies off of Napatree last fall, but only landed one. Hope it works well for ya!

Nick
Old 05-05-2002, 08:32 AM
Flats Rat

Thumbs up

Mine showed up Thursday too - just got a picture done. They are all great! Now I have a deep eel too

I especially like the tube fly baby squid.
Old 05-05-2002, 09:18 AM
President of CAC

Did not get mine yet... Don't see any of mine in the pics,Will look for them on Monday. Gregg ,let me know if you did not get my address.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:30 AM
Fluff

Mine's shown in Greg's photo, but not in Adrian's:

Second Down, Left Side, under Greg's epoxy sandeel. Though I've received my package, I haven't opened it. Nice work and thanks to all who pitched in.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:45 AM

I just got back from Pensacola(fisherman's paradise), and the flys look great. I can't wait to get on the water.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:15 PM

Received a LARGE envelope today in the mail.
Contents are the motherload of SW flies.
Thank's to all the contributors. My SW fly collection is looking real good with these additions.
A few questions,
What type of hook is used on the fly shown in John's picture, the one with the red epoxy head, just above the eel pattern?

Two of the flies (one black and one white, white one shown in Adrian's picture) have a deer hair head, that looks shaved on either side, are those called "sliders" style, as in Slab Side?

The deer hair head is stacked very loosely, is that intentional or should the head be stacked tighter?
Old 05-12-2002, 10:17 AM
President of CAC

Gregg gave me my flys yesterday...thanks everyone and thanks Gregg for spearheading this. Here is my selection:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00331.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	430  
Old 05-12-2002, 11:06 AM
_

Quote:
Originally posted by FrenchCreek
What type of hook is used on the fly shown in John's picture, the one with the red epoxy head, just above the eel pattern?
FrenchCreek, did you mean my picture (first photo in thread)? It's some type of circle hook with a slightly offset point, but you probably knew that already I'm not sure of the brand since I have no experience whatsoever with circle hooks. Perhaps the tier (tyer? ) will step forward and enlighten us. Looks like a killer fly!

Q

p.s., GregO, DFix and Nick: I made a note of which flies were your creations. I'm looking forward to putting them to good use!
Old 05-12-2002, 05:34 PM
Fly chucker

Since we're naming our flies here, mine is the Honey/Platinum Blonde, second down from the left in John's picture. I haven't seen a bad fly in these pictures yet.

I think it's safe to say that we're armed and ready!
Old 06-17-2002, 05:21 PM
LBFF Mojo

better late than never

I received mine today and nice work everyone. I like the white bunny strip baitfish tie. I think it was Striblue who tied the deceiver like pattern with the cactus chennile body that I also got. That one looks like a winner on coho salmon out here. Will post reports when the coho show up in another month or so.

I tied up the tube fly juvie squid which can be a great pattern to have when the salmon are around. It is called a calamarko squid from the great book titled Tube Flies by Les Johnson et al. I particularly like it cause it is a quick tie and they last a long time.

Did anyone get it scanned so I can put it in the archives? I do not yet own a digital camera so I could not post it. Am curious if it would fool a striper.

Anyway thanks again,

-sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.