Interested in tying - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2002, 04:01 PM
Sponsor

Interested in tying

Hey I'm new to the fly fishing world and I'm interested in learning to tie some flies. Looks like a relaxing hobby! Anyway anyone have any suggestions on how to go about learning the craft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2002, 04:21 PM

I'm interested too...

in any info to be shared. I'm curious as to how much you can save by tying your own. My only point of reference is reloading my own ammunition...considerable savings.
Old 05-01-2002, 08:47 PM

Will
I'm sure if you search in the archives you can find a number of threads on starting fly tying. I seem to remember a couple last fall about kits. when you have more specific questions it is easier to answer.

Yukon Delta,
As far as saving money, if you are a very frugal person who buys only the materials for a few specific patterns you may be able to save money. Most people who tie end up experimenting with differrent materials, or buying every good piece of fur or feathers that they see and that eats up (and than some ) any potential savings. What you get is a fly that you know more about how it should fish, and what it imitates. It brings your observation of the environment to a new level and the satisfaction of catching fish on flies you tied is another benefit.

I hope that I haven't discouraged either of you it is a great and relaxing hobby.

Last edited by John Desjardins; 05-01-2002 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:22 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Tying is KEY, in my humble opinion

One of my favorite things about flyfishing is that it really requires a keener sense of awareness to do any good. Anything you catch with a rod in a rodholder has more to do with luck than savvy unless you are talking bluewater.

Anyway, your visions of what the fly should be or do will soon exceed those flies that are easily found in books or store shelves and the need to create that vision arises for many.

For me it brings a balance to the time on the water, the things I observed or wished for while in the act drives what my hands do at the vise. Soon new patterns emerge that catch fish, are admired by fishing friends, or even if you're lucky both

Tying allows one to adapt to his rapidly evolving interpretation of the challenges of fishing into a continually improving response, to keep his flies in sync with his mind on the water, and to provide a equal and opposite activity for those times when you are not fishing.

That being said it's also an art form, flies have an inherent beauty in their marriage of form and function like carved decoys or sailboats.

I highly recommend it!
Old 05-02-2002, 08:11 AM

Yes try and tie your own, I did not for the first 20 years of FF due to chasing women and flying around the world on business etc..
as a batchelor.

Great hobby, and it is not that difficult. Lots of great web sites you can find referenced on this site which I did not have 22 years ago when I finally started tying.

You will spend probably 100-200 to get set up with the vice and basic materials. Kaufmanns Stream born has kits, thats where I started. Self taught myself.

Probably can tie a fly for 10 - 30 cents (excluding your labor time which depends on the fly pattern), now in the stores most flies go for 2 -3 dollars. Ouch, I probably lost 10-15 flies on last weeks fishing trip however they were all my flies tied for the lower cost, and I have probably a thousand more in backup supply if needed.

Only way to go, plus there is nothing like catching a fly on a fly you tied and designed.

BTW, you do not need a beautiful fly to catch fish.

Good luck
Old 05-05-2002, 05:24 PM

thanks for the replies...

Thanks for the replies...from practical to intellectual...you guys covered my questions. Flies are 10-30 cents in materials (labor can't be counted)...that's what I needed to know. I can relate to the comment by John that most guys don't save money by tying as they end up experimenting, etc. I reload my own ammo and found that I haven't saved any money but I sure get to shoot more for the same investment!

Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2002, 05:50 PM

Just a casual observation (I'm new to tying, also) -

I have found my tying to be an extension of my last trip and a precursor to the next. Often as I tie I envision the use or manner of presentation which ties ME closer to the experience. And when I meet with success it increases my since of wholeness with the river and fish.

S.Russell
Old 05-05-2002, 06:00 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
I agree...

Luckily for myself, I had to tie my own flies. My Dad didn't fly fish, and didn't have access to fly shops like I do now (never even heard of such a thing when I was a preteen, my Dad and I only went to certain gear tackle shops). So, started out by buying a few hooks that were sold for fly tying (that's about all they carried, no tying materials) and started stealing from my Mom's and Grandma's craft baskets and clipping fur off my Dad's pelts (luckily I never got my butt blistered for all I did )

But, yes, you save money, as long as you FOCUS on what you want to tie. Since I've grown up, I've had the fortune of being "asked" to tie up flies for friends. I tell them what to buy and I tie up for them. I usually get to keep the excess as "payment" and my materials have grown with virtually no cost entailed to me. :hehe: I have bought alot of extras, but my costs are maybe in the 60/70 cent range for hooks. I don't buy mustads anymore, so my cost has went up a bit. But, 70 cents beats $2/3 anyday. I lose one on bottom I don't cringe like some other guys I know who exclusively buy their flies.
Old 05-05-2002, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pmflyfisher
Only way to go, plus there is nothing like catching a fly on a fly you tied and designed.
PM,

Sure got me intrigued by this pattern and its purpose.

Where does catching fish on a fly caught fly pattern leave one philosophically? :eyecrazy:

S.Russell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.