Debunking the myths - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2002, 09:22 PM
Fly chucker

Debunking the myths

Our sport is full of well known facts, but it also has its share of rumor and myth. What's your pet peeve when it comes to flyfishing myths? Let the debunking begin!

I'll start.

Very often I've heard the complaint that loop to loop connections between line and leader or leader and tippet cause a "hinging" effect during the cast. IMO, blaming the hinging effect on the loop connection is hogwash. The problem is almost always a leader of inappropriate length (line to leader) or a tippet that's too long or too much of a drop off in diameter from the preceding leader section (leader to tippet). Simple adjustments to the appropriate parts of the terminal tackle can resolve these problems and prevent the connections from being the scapegoat.

Disclaimer: The above statements are the opinion of the poster only, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the entire forum. :P

In your opinion, what are some other common misconceptions in flyfishing?
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2002, 10:18 PM
LBFF Mojo

Do not know if you get this out there but a ton a guys around here think you can only catch fish in the salt from the beach on an incoming tide. Sure it helps but a resourceful angler can find fish any time of the day and any tide if they take the time to look.

-sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2002, 10:21 PM

Well thought out points Mark. I do fish the loop to loop system with a whipped loop on almost all of my lines. I'd say all, but invariably one hasn't had it done yet.

I have experienced hinging at a braided loop connector that had slid 1/2" off the line. That is the only time I can remember hinging ocurring. As you mentioned that was a tackle problem.

For other peeves I'll have to think and post in the AM.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:23 PM

Some of my favorites are:
"We caught 100 fish that day." Really? Do the math.
"You should have been here yesterday...the wind is really up". Sure, like it doesn't blow like this every day.
"You have to be able to cast the whole fly line to fish the flats". Well it can't hurt, but I can barely see that far(of course I'm only 4' tall).
"Two piece rods cast better than multi piece rods." Who cares?
"Brand X is just as good as Brand Y, and it's half the price!". If brand Y cost the same as Brand X, which would you pick then?
Oh, don't get me started. I'm bitter.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:56 PM
Flats Rat

Any statements about fish behavior which start with "They always...." or "They never ......"
Old 05-01-2002, 03:58 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

"You can't catch tunoids without flourocarbon and you must retrieve it as fast as you can"

I buy flourocarbon, I use it... but do I need it? I really don't think so. I'm sure it's less visible than ultragreen Maxima, my standard leader/tippet material. Any little edge counts, but I think the key word here is "little". Just the same, I just bought another spool of flouro tippet for the upcoming year. Still have a lot left from last year. $10 per bitty spool. Wreaks of myth to me.

Retrieve... I 'first cast' an albie one year with a very slow shock and stop retrieve in the path of the busting pod, in fact that has always been as good a retrieve as any for me with small inshore tuna.
Old 05-01-2002, 08:13 AM

A."You need to pay $200 to have a famous guy at a clinic show you how to cast" Wrong. While you can pick up a few pointers-Just start learning from anybody who can cast better then you and spend time on the water.

2. "There are huge bargains at Flyfishing Shows"-maybe a few bucks saved here and there, but I think they've largely gone the way of Factory Outlets as far as merchandising.

And III: "Chatham is ------ ------ ------ ---(fill in the blanks with anything fishing related).

Lefty
Old 05-01-2002, 10:16 AM
Fly chucker

Some more, dealing with warmwater situations.....

Where did the notion come from that surface flies are only good in shallow water or on breaking, schooling fish (i.e., largemouths on gizzard shad)? I could speculate, but I've had far too many experiences where fish have come up from some not-so-shallow water, say 15-18 feet, and nail a fly. Shallow is a relative term, but I believe in the power of surface poppers and gurglers to draw fish from a good distance below,especially over humps and shoals. Why would they do this? The fly is a sitting duck, looking like a wounded prey and an easy meal. It's well worth the energy expended to go from the bottom or mid depths to the top and grab it. Of course this presentation works best in clear water, where the fly can be located with both visually and with the lateral line and inner ear.

Also, there's a common notion that surface presentations, especially for bass, are useless when the wind is up and the surface is rippled. Sure, it's fun to catch some bass or pike when the water is dead calm, but fish feed more confidently when the surface is somewhat distorted from wind. Just work the popper or gurgler a bit louder to get the attention of the fish. Chances are that if they're in the neighborhood they'll show some interest.

Lastly, I'll borrow one from Barry Reynolds, author of Pike on the Fly . The notion that pike are active after dark has been shown to be little more than wishful thinking. Pike are active from dawn to dusk, and the author suggests that they really aren't worth the effort from dusk to dawn.
Old 05-01-2002, 08:52 PM

Another thread made me think of this "fly tying saves money" it hasn't for me.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:29 AM
Flats Rat

Classic John:hehe:
Old 05-02-2002, 08:56 PM

HUGE MYTH
The fish are on the other side of the river!
It's true!
Every time I get to the other side, the other "other" side looks better!
Old 05-03-2002, 11:16 AM

Thought of another that I can't confirm but it seems ripe for the plucking.

"Only black flies work at night"
Now I know the logic about how it makes a darker outline, but c'mon.

Lefty
Old 05-03-2002, 11:58 AM
Fly chucker

Here's another one.....

The belief that fish can actually see the difference between tippet sizes that are very close, for example 7X vs. 8X. I've heard many say that they caught trout on dries only when they went down one size in tippet diameter, and that the difference was the fish not being able to see the tippet. Really???

The difference is the reduction in microdrag. By going down a tippet size, especially for tiny flies, the amount of microdrag is greatly reduced and the fly will float more naturally. These differences may not be apparent to us, but they seem very apparent to the fish.
Old 05-03-2002, 12:31 PM

1. The only way to catch this type of fish is....
2. Lights at night scare the fish away. Huh, tell that to the guys who cast to snook under the lights.

Sorry Terry:
1. As a converted cricket stomper (GregO), 99% of my fish were caught on a majorly black fly. I'll test that against you one night for a pint.

2. There really are no fish in Chatham. So everyone stay away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.