Interesting read; perhaps why the "old" and the "young" see - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-30-2002, 01:31 PM

Interesting read; perhaps why the "old" and the "young" see

* the world differently.

How old is GRANDMA?

* Stay with this -- the answer is at the end.

* One evening a grandson was talking to his grandmother about current events.

* The grandson asked his grandmother what she thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

* The Grandma replied, "Well, let me think a minute. I was born before television, penicillin, polio shots, frozen foods, Xerox, contact lenses, Frisbees and the pill. There was no radar, credit cards, laser beams or ball-point pens. Man had not invented pantyhose, air conditioners, dishwashers, clothes dryers, and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and man hadn't yet walked on the moon.

* Your Grandfather and I got married first and then lived together. Every family had a father and a mother. Until I was 25, I called every man older than I, 'Sir'- and after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir.'

* We were before gay-rights, computer-dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy. Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense. We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our
actions.

* Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege. We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent. Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins. Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.

* Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

* We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings. We listened to the Big Bands! Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios. And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

* If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan' on it, it was junk.

* The term making out referred to how you did on your school exam.

* Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of. We had 5 & 10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents. Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel. And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

* You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600 but who could afford one? Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon. In my day, "grass" was mowed, "coke" was a cold drink, "pot" was something your mother cooked in, and "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby. "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's
* office, "chip" meant a* piece of wood, "hardware" was found in a
* hardware store, and "software" wasn't even a word.

* And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap.....

* And how old do you think I am ???.....

* Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it, and a bit sad at the same time.

* This Woman would be only 58 years old!

Last edited by fredaevans; 04-30-2002 at 01:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2002, 03:18 AM

Fred I know what ya mean.
I at the ripe young age of 31 feel sometimes like I am beyond my years. All my good friends are over 50 with a couple exceptions. I just have a hard time relateing to alot of people my age, With that said , its kinda funny, I got the newest fad out there, direct tv, so my kids can watch real cartoons(the old stuff, ya know buggs, mickey, ect) instead of the crap that is popular today, I dont understand Poke' mon. I have limited my kids to 1/2 hour a day on the boob tube (what happened to books). Life, for kids now days is more about being cool then learning skills and using their knoggins, I feel sorry for my sons friends that come here(they are always here I dont let them go there because there parents are never home) and get jazed because they can watch me tie a fly or shoot my recurve, you otta see their eyes when I string up the rods and let them give them a go. Im going to get a bunch of cheap 5 weights made up and take the hole passel to the modoc ponds to let them pick on the bluegills. On the same note My oldest son asked for waders for his birthday, I felt like Im doing my job , he could have asked for anything, but he asked for waders. His reasons for wanting waders is that hes getting to old for me to pack him around on my back to reach the mid river bar......Nate
Old 05-01-2002, 09:33 AM

My Grand Mother turns 93 in a couple of days(God willing). Talk about a time warp. When my Dad was a kid, she said"That radio is going to rot your mind.". When she was a kid, her Mom said,"Those childrens books are going to rot your mind." I'll probably say to my kids,"That 3D holographic virtual reality is going to rot your mind." It's all relative.
The fishing was better "back then", but I wouldn't trade places for anything.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:35 PM

Golly Eddie, you just dumped me back 50+ years

into old (forgotten memory lanes?). Remember my Grandfather 'making' my first crystal radio set out on the farm in Birds Hill, Manitoba, Canada.

'Receiver' was a paper tube with 'x' number of wraps of bare copper wire hooked to a crystal and using a bent sewing needle point as a 'tuner.' From there (no clue how he did it now) he rigged up an old single ear phone which you held to your ear to hear the 'sounds of Winnipeg.

fe
Old 05-01-2002, 02:48 PM

Fred, Somehow I don't see myself making that 3D Holographic Virtual Reality Unit out of a card board tube and a couple of old tv remotes for my kids. Hmmm, times have changed.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:08 PM

Eddie, who knows??

Most of the interesting inventions were brought forward by someone 'thinking out side the box.':hehe:

Actually, most were done by someone looking at existing information and saying 'now what would happen if I combined this to that?' James Burke had two great tv shows on just this topic. If your library has copies (PBS stuff) it's worth every minute to watch the shows.

Even your kids will stay glued to the screen.:eyecrazy:
Old 05-01-2002, 03:28 PM

Lets see, I remember making crystal radios about 30 years ago. Can't remember how though.

Good call on the James Burke, series Fred. I loved them, though my wife refered to him as a condescending --- for some reason. He also had a column in Scientific American for several years. I'll have to see if my library has them.

I guess when I'm a grampa I'll teach them the things my mine taught me, fishing, wood working, despising the NY Yankees...
Old 05-01-2002, 03:32 PM

John, vis a vis your New York Yankee note ..

if you run out of 'reasons' just call my son Greg. He, and almost the whole of Seattle, will give you all the additional ammo you may need.
Old 05-02-2002, 01:18 PM

Grandma Forgot to add...

Grandma Forgot to add...

When I was young, black people wouldn't even think about sitting on a bus anywhere but in the back. If they tried to move into our neighborhood, we'd burn their house down.

When a husband wanted to break his wife's jaw in a drunken fit, no one ever talked about it.

Our gangs were more respectable. They were white italian guys with knives and chains, not guns.

Yeah, gas was 11 cents a gallon but the average car got 3 miles to the gallon.

We didn't worry about toxic waste. we just dumped it in the ocean or buried it and forgot about it.

Anything "Made in Japan" was junk 'cause we had anyone with asian facial features put into an internment camp.

Ah, yes. The good old days...
Old 05-02-2002, 01:59 PM

You got a problem with yogurt?
Yesterday is gone, move on. 50 years ago they probably had the same complaints. "He he..back in my day...we had to ride an honest horse...make a man outa ya".

Lefty
Old 05-02-2002, 02:06 PM
President of CAC

At 51 I have fond memories of Baseball cards with the smell of bubble gum on them, Black PF Flyers hightop sneakers... real blue jeans... plain white tee shirts without the ads,etc. ....Saturday morning cartoons....Sky King, Fury,Lassie, WW2 Movies-"30 seconds over Tokyo"...( "I know your American ways, I went to Woo-C--Well--A". (or was it Harbard)..I can't remember...).The Range Rider, Lone Ranger. 25cent "kiddie" shows on rainy Saturdays at the local movie theater...only one screen then... My father shovling snow in his WW2 Combat boots he saved. Making the Crystal Set. ... Model airplains... Taping up your worn out baseball with electricians tap, taping the cracked bat and playing "rolly at the bat"..."Once ,twice, three shoot"-bucking up to pick teams...... Playing baseball all day without parents supervising everything, and picking teams....... (happiness was some kid showing up with REAL catchers equipment).. stepping or slidding in Dog poop and NOT caring. ..... sledding all day without Goretex or polartec..... Being the make believe ski patrol to save the village.... yes.... not damn politics for me to worry about. They were great days... to be a kid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.