For the old man - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2002, 11:24 PM

For the old man

To the general forum membership,

A good friend of mine and member of this forum, "old man", took a bad fall this past week and now has his casting arm in a cast which will not be removed for at least 6 weeks. Complicating this, he also banged up his left side so even typing is now a burden. What with the lowland trout season just opening up this weekend, my buddy is feeling pretty blue.

Although some may feel that I am an opinionated, grumpy old cuss (and maybe more), Jim is not at all like me. You couldn't beat a bad name or harsh word from him. I would take it as a personal favor if you could send him your best and help speed his recovery.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Steven Russell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2002, 05:39 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

OM -

You don't at all come across as a grumpy ol' puss like watersprite here (just kidding w/s)

I've enjoyed your company in our "virtual fishing lodge pub" here and sincerely wish you a speedy recovery both for getting back on to the water and back on to the forum.

Juro
Old 04-29-2002, 08:46 AM
President of CAC

Same here.... By the way I am the grumpiest ... ask Lefty.
Old 04-29-2002, 01:20 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

Hey OM,

I know what it feels like. Broke my shoulder in two places October before last. Was out of commission for the rest of the fall and most of the winter season. The absolute worst time for me- I usually do a lot of steelheading in late October and November.

It was an honorable injury - I was hiking out of a run on the upper Skykomish and tried to skip a step in a steep rocky climb and earned myself an 8' vertical twisting descent!

Anyway, the one thing that helped when I wasn't able to fish was (1) finding something I'd wanted to do but had never devoted the time and (2) that I could do with 1 1/2 hands.

Turned out that was tying tube flies. I read a ton until I had enough strength to use my left hand, then started tying. It definitely helped me get thru a tough couple months. Now that's just about the only kind of flies I fish.

Anyway, hope your rehab goes smoothly and you're back on the Board and fishing ASAP!

regards,

DS
Old 04-29-2002, 09:12 PM

OM,
Sounds so familair! 2 years ago, I felt the need to sponsor a softball team. Hit a long ball to left center, made it around first just fine, but fell in a big dusty pile like a ton of S..t! half way to second base. I had ruptured my achilles tendon, but had a vacation planned with my kids the following day in our motorhome to Disneyland. Never did see a doctor and hobbled around southern California with 3 kids through D..land the water parks, etc...mind you I was by myself with the kids. I called an Ortho surgeon friend the Monday i got back and had surgery the following day. I was in a cast for almost 6 months...fortunately it was my left leg and not my casting arm...I still made it on 2 Deschutes trips, but wading in a cast with one immobile foot is tricky to say the least...I had to buy jumbo jet sized waders to fit over the cast, which in a matter of 1 day ate through the waders...so we improvised, cut the cast off with a leatherman, dried it out daily and taped it back on each day with duct tape...needless to say, by the end of the 4th leg cast..the orthopedic surgeon was no longer a very happy friend....the last time he casted my leg, he asked me if I had anymore fishing trips planned and if i could promise to keep it dry...If not, he stated that he wouldn't bother casting me again...I had to say yes, another trip down the Deschutes in 2 weeks..about all i can say is thank god for duct tape!...It was the last time we spoke.....Hang in there my friend! My best wishes for your speedy recovery!

Steve
Old 05-04-2002, 11:26 AM

I'm Back

Well, I'm now back. Not 100%,but close. Turns out wrist not broken. Just very sore. Got tired of that cast so I took it off and changed Doctors.
Taking pills for damage to side(left). Only one side effect of these pills is that I want to sleep all of the time. So when I start to answer questions on these web sites I end up going in and laying down,and not get anything done. But I'm going longer between pills so I think I'm getting better.
I really need to get out. The urge is there but the body isn't willing.
Watersprite In about 2weeks I'm going to try to hit lake Volger out of Concrete. Think you could make it. It's a fly fishing only lake.
As for being grumpy. RIGHT now I am as I can't get out.

Jim Swan.
Old 05-04-2002, 02:06 PM

Good to see that you can come out and play.

I'm commited to attending the Sandy River Spey Clave the weekend of May 18 - 19. We'll see if the farm can make it without me for a few days (I got mass baby critters, everywhere).

I will pencil in a fishing date afterwards for Vogler, just let me know when. I've been wanting to get my canoe out on the lakes again.

SR
Old 05-04-2002, 04:27 PM

Oldman!!! Glad to see you back on the board.

Did you get my e mail? No matter as you're up, if not around. WS, know what you mean about a 'farm' owning you, not the other way around. (Joan and I had vineyards here in Southern Oregon).

Loved the early part of the growing season, not much to do, other than to pray it didn't drop to freezing. Amazing how much damange can occur with an hour at/under 32 degrees. Once the canes hit about 18" in length it was all over for screwing around. Miles and miles of catch-wires to start moving, repositioning, etc. All hand work so you just started at the end of a 600 or 800 foot row and went up one side ..... then down the other.

Joan put her pedometer (think that's what you call those things that tell you how far you've walked) and I was averaging over 10 miles a day. but never in better shape physically, or emotionally, in my life.

And, don't worry about all the 'sleeping;' this is natures way of getting you to slow down so she can heal the damage.
fe
Old 05-05-2002, 04:00 PM

I got your email and I thought that I answered it I could be wrong But that doesn't happen very much.

Watersprite.Email me towards the end of the month and I will see if my wrist is ready.Only have about 10% movement in it.

I'm going to have to stop beating myself up as it takes a lot longer to heal. Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.