my first fish! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2002, 04:48 AM

my first fish!

I caught my first fish with a fly rod yesterday! I worked my way up a small stream all afternoon snagging every tree, bush, and stick in the river. I lost my first fly pretty quickly when it snapped off my tippet while casting, but the second one--a mayfly dun with a green thorax and a white tuft on the back--hung in there with me all afternoon through thick and thin. I moved upstream to free my fly whenever it got stuck in a tree.

At dusk, I made it to a small pond, and I cast over a barrier of logs and sticks into the middle of the pond. As I started my pick up/back cast, a trout came flying out of the water. He must have hit the fly just as I started my back cast, and I guess I'm lucky I didn't snap my 6x tippet. When he splashed down, he dove deep and put up a good fight. I eventually worked him close to the log barrier, then lifted him over and plopped him down next to me. It was about 7 inches long, and I think it was a brown trout: it was light brown and had red spots on its side. It took me awhile to get the fly out with my hemos and I had to touch him, but after a few seconds of rest he swam out of my hand, and was darting in and out of my feet looking for an escape route.

On my next cast, my old friend the dun with the green thorax and white tuft on the back snapped off my tippet, as if to let me know it had been a long afternoon and after helping me catch a trout its tour of duty was over. I tried to thread another fly onto my tippet, but it was too dark, so I waded out of the stream and headed home.

Today, I went to a bigger, wider river and looked for some hatch activity. Since the trout weren't rising, I tried an attractor fly. I had no luck, and since it was so windy I thought I'd try a terrestrial--an ant. Still no luck, but by then fish were splashing periodically around me. Since I couldn't see any fly activity, I figured they must be feeding on emergers, so I put on an emerger with no floatant. I cast up river and let it drift about 40 feet back to me stripping line furiously, and then another 20 feet past me.

After about 30 minutes, the end of my fly line was about five feet upstream from me, so my emerger was probably 15 feet away, and--whamo!--my line started zig zagging in the water. I lifted my rod, and the trout bent it in half. I was afraid my rod--a 9' 6#, or my 6x tippet, or one of my knots was sure to snap. The fish fought furiously trying to shake the fly out, and I could see its scales flash in the sunlight. After about 30 seconds and still no signs of tiring, he ran by me down stream toward some submerged debris and I thought it was all over, but he immediately turned back up stream back to where I hooked him. The bend in the rod still didn't seem to bother him, but after 30 more seconds he thrashed closer to me, and more out of frustration than fatigue he lay in the water on his side watching me.

When I bent down to grab the leader, he started thrashing around, so I stood back up and let him have at it. Finally, he settled down, and this time I was able to release the fish without touching him, and he swam off immediately. I noted how long he was next to my rod handle, and when I got home I measured it. The trout was 13'' long and all muscle. It was the same kind as the day before: a light brown color with some distinctive red spots on its side. What a fight he put up!

Later, I detected some flies in the newly calm air, and since the fish started rising all around me, I switched to a Parachute Adams mayfly dun, and I caught two more smaller trout. Then, even though fish were rising all around me, I didn't get any more strikes, so I switched to a Blue Winged Olive dun, and on my first cast as soon as the fly hit the water, my line started zig zagging as another trout took my fly. This time I raised my rod and gently tried to set the hook by applying a little counter pressure, but my line went slack. I checked the fly and it was still there, so I must have pulled the fly out....darn it! That was the first time I tried to set the hook. With the other fish, I didn't have to do anything: they bent my rod, and I just hung on and stripped line.

I spent another hour trying to get a trout to take my fly, but they steadfastly refused. I was easily able to cast 50 feet up river with the aid of a slight breeze, and then I was getting what I think was a perfect drift all the way back to me over many rising fish. Facing upstream, I was also casting to about 11 o'clock so my fly line wouldn't be over the target zone. I'm sure an experienced person could have caught 20 trout easy!

I kept at it until it was pitch dark before leaving. I spent the whole afternoon in the exact same spot and never moved. When I got out of the water, my legs were cold and stiff and I had trouble getting them to work smoothly. What an afternoon!

Last edited by newbiefish; 04-25-2002 at 11:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2002, 06:28 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

WOW! Congratulations, looks like you are off to a great flyfishing "career"!
Old 04-24-2002, 06:52 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Awesome Newbie, can't believe we were just debating what rod you should get and now you've already caught a bunch. Took me only, ah, lets say a couple seasons to track down a striper on a fly.

Great description as well...you should submit that for the forum. Throw a few pics in and it would be a great piece.

Nick
Old 04-24-2002, 08:07 AM
Fluff

Newbie, that's a great story. Congrats on the success and excitement with your experience. Keep us posted!
Old 04-24-2002, 09:39 AM
Fly chucker

Thumbs up

Congratulations!

Of course you realize that there's no turning back now.....:hehe:
Old 04-24-2002, 10:00 AM
President of CAC

Great report and fun to read.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:01 AM
Just Plain Nuts

Thumbs up Fintastic!

Great story. And an even a better feeling for you. There is only one problem I see. It looks like you're going to end up like the rest of us. Thinking fish, talking fish. Face it. You're hooked! There is no turning back now. Next thing you know, you'll be selling off your belongings to buy more rods, reels, lines........Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of fly fishing. It's a great place to be.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:54 AM

Congratulations, You sure got that first trout a lot faster than I did.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:14 PM

Way to go!!!! Great tale and fun to read. Let the obsession begin!

Gregg
Old 04-24-2002, 12:20 PM
Flats Rat

Thumbs up

Congratulations and welcome to a lifetime of fun and exploration. Great report!
Old 04-24-2002, 12:21 PM

Terrific!

Way to Go Newbie!

You aren't the only one to catch their first trout lately - she's gonna have to report for herself though.

Looks like you need to change your name now that you've been baptized, so to speak.

keep the reports coming
Old 04-24-2002, 07:01 PM
President Weber T/U 681

Send a message via AIM to steeliesonafly
First fish!

Ah the problem is that it never get dull, and everyday fly fishing has that same feeling about it. You just can't wait to do it all over again each day! As stated before. Congratulations you are officially hooked yourself. What a wonderful sport.
Utah Chapter 681
Old 04-24-2002, 07:22 PM

Welcome to the brotherhood!
A story shared is a million times repeated in each of our minds!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.