Airline Restrictions - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2002, 06:25 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

Airline Restrictions

I just got off the phone with the stereotypical customer service automaton, so, I need some reassuring.

I'm off to Florida this weekend for a company golf outing. I've already allocated some pre-dawn time for fishing sorties along the Gulf, just prior to the unavoidable brunch/golf combination.

My question is this; will the baggage screener rip my(actually, my brother's, which is why this is all the more important) 5-pc RPLXi, my reels and spools from my clenched fists? I'd rather not check the items if it can be avoided.

Has anyone, who traveled recently, run into any major problems?

Am I foolish for wanting to carry the rod/reel combo on?

Will they consider the aluminum tube a weapon?

Do I need to strip my line off the reel?

Obviously I'll check my flies, nippers, pliers, knife, etc. while traveling. I'd just hate to have my carry on items strewn all over the terminal while my rod is wrestled away from me.
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2002, 06:37 PM

Hellishly good question!

Several of the fellows at the Spey Casting Charity Clinic flew in from all over the country the end of last month. They should be able to provide you with some up to date "what happened" on transporting rods. I can assure you that things that could be considered 'weapons' (knives, and other sharp pointy things) will not be allowed as carry-ons.

Trip to Seattle a week ago and they 'conficated' a plastic wine cork puller from my shaving kit. Thought that was over-kill but guy assured me they had a large collection of the things just from the folks flying out of Medford. Does that suggest we all drink a bit too much down here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2002, 06:55 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

You'll be OK with the 5pc IMHO. On the other hand, it's so small you can pack it in the suitcase as well.

My recent flight let it go one way but not the other. I refused to sign the release form stating I had not packed it properly to release them of liability.

Everything was fine when I got there. But I was pissed that they threw the rod on the belt up the carousel instead of oversized baggage.

Good luck!
Old 04-23-2002, 07:45 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Mark,
Designing luggage screening machines, I have a little experience with this. From experience flying as well, you should have no problems. The rod should go with no problems, the reel as well. Make sure you don't have any hooks, nips, sharp objects, etc. They are pretty reasonable with the fishing stuff IMHO, seeing as how I've seen women's eyelash curlers taken away :hehe: They searched my Redington reel and made a comment about a point, but then the supervisor said no problem. YMMV, but I think you should be fine. Just remember to take the pocketknife off the key chain. I didn't, asked if I could get it back, the screener said no. I said, "man you guys must get a lot of these." He says "yeah, its one of the perks."

Nick

Have a great time!
Old 04-24-2002, 09:13 AM
Fluff

In the beginning of the year we discussed travel restrictions. Perhaps searching the threads will lend further information.
Old 04-24-2002, 07:02 PM

I have flown on a buch of flights with gear since 9/11. I have not had any problems with the gear(three piece double combo tubes) but the restrictions on the amount of bags is seriouse. One bag and one personal item. A personal item is defined as a purse, lap top or camera bag. Not a bag of reels or a rod tube. There is very little wiggle room. DO Not take even a small back pack. Even if it has a camera or lap top in it, it will count as your carry on. A roll aboard will take a 5 pc. rod diagonally. Creative packing is a must.
The airlines are very pleased with these new restrictions. They've been trying to limit carry ons for years.
Different air ports have different policys. Don't push too hard if things don't go you way. Even if the guy next to you is lugging on his clubs, two roll aboards and a can of gas, your arguments will not go far. Have a last ditch plan to condense if necesary
Old 04-24-2002, 07:11 PM
LBFF Mojo

I just got back from florida and had no problems. They counted the fly rod as my personal item.

Not even a concerned look from any of the checkers.

-sean
Old 04-24-2002, 08:49 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Sure it is my rod we are talking about here so you might think that I am being overly protective with what I have to say - but it ain't true!

My only suggestion is that you call Logan and see if they will tell you that the rod tube is an acceptable carry-on. It seems to me that security at Logan is tighter than it is at many other airports that I have been to recently. Logan has too many security officials that are extra anal and trying to save face post 9/11.

Just ask Jeff B about the time that security would not let him carry his camera tripod onto a plane.

Just throw the damn rod in your golf bag!

Sorry about not tying some FLA flies up for you. I have been pretty swamped with work and new house responsibilities. Excuses, excuses.

Catch me a tarpon!

Later.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to jborkowski
anything baton-like, like the rod tube, should probably be packed with your checked-in luggage.

had all kinds of problems getting a very small monopod (which was packed in my carry-on) onto the plane. umteen lines, several strip searches , and 4 hours later, monopod got sent with my checked-in luggage. almost missed the plane.

only one experience though.
Old 04-25-2002, 05:20 AM

I flew down to Arkansas from Manchester in February. My buddy was told on the phone he could take a short rod tube on board , as a carry on. When we got to security at the airport ,he was told no way. I have been putting my 4 piece xp in a large suitcase,and have not had a problem to date. I just isn't worth the hassle arguing with a security guard at the airport..
Old 04-25-2002, 12:05 PM
LBFF Mojo

Oh I forgot to mention. I did not bring the sage metal rod tube with me. I instead put the rod in a cordura tube which is probably why they let me through without a hassle.

-sean
Old 04-25-2002, 11:31 PM

Out of Control

I've been a pilot now for close to 22 years. When I first started flying the new technology was Loran. I've been both a commercial pilot for a while now as well as a passenger. So lets just say I have sat on both sides of that little door. I saw where a pilot was arrested in Boston a couple of months ago. He had a nail clipper in his over night bag. When the forced him to remove it he commented "I am the pilot, what harm could a nail file be? If I wanted to crash the plane I would just fly it into the groud." He was immediately arrested. With a violation he will never work for a major airline again. He was charged with "threatening an aircraft and crew". His career is over.

A month before all this started I got pulled off a plane going to Europe. The X-ray picked up 2 tying vices I had in my luggage (although I admit, they did look "weapon like"). Nonetheless, I still almost missed my plane. But, this was before all the "helment fire" the airlines have had since 9/11.

Basically, people are scared to death. Regardless of how ignorant it is. The airlines are going to do "WHATEVER" it takes to make the public feel at ease. Unless you have a real desire to be strip searched, I wouldn't carry anything that could pose a threat of any kind into the passenger compartment. Pay the insurance, and check your bags.

Hopefully, common sense will take over sooner or later. And, eventually they will catch those morons that killed all those innocent people. My heart goes out to them and their families.

John W. Wilson
Old 05-02-2002, 07:15 PM
CND The Spey Underground

Fly lines are weapons too!

Just wanted to add to the mania - but it might help you not miss a plane. Take your spool of flyline off and pack it in your checked baggage - a friend had the line considered a weapon in his carry-on - a double tapered garotte apparently. As I prepare for my upcoming trip to Boston/NY via Cape Cod's beaches the more I'm leaning to packing all my gear in the large suitcase we bought. Even my 4-piece speyrod fits crosswise - it sounds like the easiest way to avoid the hassles. Besides, if the airline sends it to Timbuktu - I'll just have to use some of Juro's stuff!

Still Living Large!

Last edited by kush; 05-02-2002 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-02-2002, 08:09 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Kush -

Even if you brought zero rods and reels you'd have plenty when you arrive. I know you are interested in firing your big guns in striper waters; why not - afterall it is the scene of the revolutionary war on Independence Day!

Looking forward to it.
Old 05-02-2002, 10:49 PM

It's interesting to see how 'European' airports handle this stuff

vs. ours.

Lots of 'hands on' experience, Joan far more, .... in many cases expecting the worst. (and having someone elses nightmare come true.) Ya, I think things will level out, but only after we decide that a $8.00 an hour employee won't cut the mustard. No disrespect ment, but the level of education/thought process counts for 90 points.

Don't think so, leave Europe through a major Greek airport. They can teach us a lot about what the word "security" is really all about.

Having said that: Our police don't carry sub-machine guns; many places in Europe they do. Don't think so? go to Rome. The closer you get to the Vatican the heavily armed/armered the fellows get.

"Over there" it's no game, but a part of life. 99.99999% of the time we've got it far better than most would understand. (For the most part do you feel safe walking around after dark?) And 'they' think our "culture" is rather "primitive." Interesting historical fact: with the exception of a few small European counties the US has the longest standing, unchanged, form of Government of any major, or simi-major, country in the world.

Ever notice that darn few are trying to 'excape' the US; most will do what ever it takes to get here. Don't think it takes a Brain Surgen to figure out why.

End of Rant.
fe

Last edited by fredaevans; 05-02-2002 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.