How *do* you fish in SW? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2002, 01:38 PM
Will fish for beer

Question How *do* you fish in SW?

I know most of you are going to be absolutely sick and tired of me by the time I actually move out of Missouri and head for VA Beach, but thinking about fishing on the coast consumes about 95% of my day and I want to fill my head with knowledge before I get there.

My next question...After you get all the gear and stuff, how do you use it? Bear in mind that I've been FFing for about 20 years but never had a rod larger than 5-weight and never fished anything salty. (Spey rods don't count )

What are the techniques for fishing saltwater? Where do you find the fish? How do you detect strikes when your fishing in surf? How do you keep from becoming shark food? etc.

Spill your guts, baby! I need to know!

Thanks! You guys have been more than patient and I appreciate that!

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2002, 01:54 PM
Fly chucker

Redleg- While I don't want to appear to be taking the easy way out, the nature and generality of your queries would probably be addressed best through some excellent books that are available. May I suggest the following:

Flyfishing the Saltwater Shoreline by Ed Mitchell. He has another earlier book, but this one is much more thorough.

Inshore Flyfishing by Lou Taboury. He has another book dealing with only stripers which is also excellent, but this first book is one of my "bibles".

Either or both of two books by Kenny Abrames: Striper Moon or A Perfect Fish: Illusions in Fly Tying .

There are many others, but these deal with saltwater gamefish in the East, especially the Northeast. I realize that you will be in Virginia, but many of the species thrive in those waters as well and the application of technique is universal.

I wish you luck in your quest to become better aquanted with the brine. It's a labor of love!
Old 04-23-2002, 02:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
A good book to start with may be " In Shore Flyfishing" by Lou Taboury. This is a really good book covering many species and locales up and down the east coast.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:06 PM
Will fish for beer

Mark,

Thanks for the great info. The reason my questions are so obtuse is that I am currently stationed at Ft Leonard Wood (Lost in the Woods) MO. The adjacent town has a population of 2000 people and the nearest city is 1 1/2 hours away. Needless to say, I do not have a Barnes and Noble handy in this cultural Mecca.

I move to VA in less than 2 months and I have 2 months of terminal leave to burn. Guess what I'm going to be doing? You got it...backpacking. No, just kidding...fishing! Thinking about it all day is driving me crazy. That's why I am so eager just to *talk* about it.

Brian
Old 04-23-2002, 02:13 PM
Fly chucker

Brian- FYI, I purchased Taboury's and Mitchell's books via the internet on amazon. I'd be surprised to learn if they didn't have Abrames' as well. Good prices, cheap shipping.....you can't go wrong.

Reading is a great way to pass a couple of months, too.

Old 04-23-2002, 09:39 PM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

Fishing in VA region

Brian,

VA has some really great opportunities. Between tidewater country (shad, bass, stripers, etc.), the Bay (stripers and blues), and the mountains (trout and bass) you are going to have more fishing than time. All the book recommendations are great, and I can second both Inshore Fly Fishing and Kenny Abrames' books as being of value. Also check out Lou Tabory's Stripoers on the Fly...a very good read. For trout and bass, get in touch with Mr. Harry Murray at his fly shop in Edinburgh, He is on the web at www.murraysflyshop.com. Probably the best source for trout and smallmouth fishing info in the state. Have fun!

BTW. "redleg" as in Ft. Sill?
Old 04-23-2002, 10:14 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

This is a couple of years old but might give you something to think about over the next two months....

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/artic.../s101/issue-1/
Old 04-23-2002, 10:34 PM
Will fish for beer

Doc,

Ft Sill is where I was "born" into this world as a Field Artilleryman.... soon to be ex-Field Artilleryman.

Brian
Old 04-24-2002, 09:11 AM

Smile Redleg SW

I know how ya feel. Overwhelmed. There should be no difference between tossing a 5wt or a 9wt. The casting stroke is basically the same. Books are definately a good start. Try and pick up a book that has info on the area where you live, even if its only a few paragraphs that mention locations and such. Also a book on casting and gear info. Learn the double, single and water haul. Another good thing is to just get in the car and go! Thats where I learned the most. I met alot of great people who where more than happy to show me the ropes. I still fish with alot of them to this day. Every one of us were in your shoes at one time. When you hit the beach or tackle shop, ask questions ( dont be afraid ), most everyone is willing to help out. Somethings they tell you will work and others won't, but try thier advise. Practice and real world situations should also cut the learning curve in half. Casting in the park is alot different from casting from the beach in waist deep water. Its a hobby/pastime/obsession meant to be enjoyed. Try not to get frustrated if things don't go well.... the next tide is only 6hrs away!!
Old 04-24-2002, 09:15 AM
Fluff

A Party With Arty

Redleg - congrats on your pending retirement.

Quick mention, you do have an ability to use Amazon or Barnes and Noble online; Barnes and Noble are continuing free shipping, I believe. Agree with others' suggestions of authors/titles; however, wish to invoke the venerable Lefty as well.

As I'm reminded of a tanker friend who commented "...what's the worst they can do, send me back to Ft. Leonard Wood?", I wish you well upon your departure.
Old 04-24-2002, 04:51 PM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

How do you fish in SW

Redleg,

Thought as much. Well, my congrats on your soon-to-be retired status, and my thanks for your service to our country.

Be advised that the opinions you find on this board are offered by many of the best fishermen and finest people you will ever run into in civilian life. Enjoy experimenting and let us know how you do!

All the best,

-Doc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.