covering ground - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2002, 04:31 PM
Flats Rat

covering ground

After yesterdays merry jaunt up to Rhoddy, my early morning ride over to the Hudson at Esopus was going to be a cakewalk and I was going to enjoy a wonderfull paddle in spectacular scenery under balmy skies. Not today buddy!!

42F and wind blowing 25 - 30 mph from the North (or East or West depending on where you were standing!!). Turned around and headed for the Housy estuary where the temp was up to 55F. Fished the bottom of the outgoing and was rewarded with a single 12 incher just as Striper and JoeV came back to the boat ramp. Conditions seemed perfect but I didn't get another touch. Thought about launching further upstream but got diverted by a diner, had a late breakfast and came home.

If conditions don't deteriorate too much this week, we may be doing a full moon assault on the Esopus flats next week-end. Did I hear somebody say snow
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2002, 08:32 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

If I recall we had a relapse of winter last year as well. Last act of defiance for ol' man winter 2002. Won't be long now before he has no say in the matter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2002, 09:04 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Adrian,
I did see you today and was going to come over and say Hi before I yanked the boat but Joe V was doing the backing and I was a little concerned as this was our first time fishing together. Well I was right he tried to drive my whole truck and boat right into the drink while pulling the boat out of the water. Kind of gave me a heart attack. But no harm no foul he hit the brakes quickly and gave me time to get my heart back in my chest We banged them real good today where you and I caught the fish last weekend and up a little ways from there on the opposite side of the river. All of the fish were very small but we must have caught at least 30 apiece and probably more than that, I don't count anymore, just go by how much skin is missing from my thumb. And my thumb is pretty raw right now. All spots were very Yakkable and Joe V is going to be going back real soon with his I am sure. Keep in touch maybe we can hookup again next weekend and give it another go and this time catch some fish to brag about.

Tightlines,
Mike
Old 04-22-2002, 06:24 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Lots of small fish is a good sign, many more fish for the future. I guess all the concern about the lack of twinkies last year may be put to bed this year. Maybe it's a cyclic kind of thing.

It also means big stuff on the way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.