Fly Fishing Forum banner

10wt. Sage XP vs Sage RPLXi?

16K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  jborkowski 
#1 ·
Thoughts?

#2 ·
Delmonico or tenderloin? Crabmeat or lobster? Each has it's endearing characteristics, I own one and will soon own the other.

The RPLXi is a rod that can be described as 'sweet' and often is. It's fast, but not stiff. When you load the rod, you do not feel undue pressure on your forearm flexors (like stiff rods do) yet the taper knows when to stop giving and takes over. As the stroke progresses, the heart of the blank kicks in and as the load deepens in the blank it accelerates the line speed over the shoulder with great ease. You simply wait for the shock wave to extend the line, then with a crisp motion (timing is important with this rod) the forward stroke loads just as easy and accelerates even more sharply, shooting a tight loop with little effort albeit requiring good timing.

As powerful as it is, it still fights fish with finesse. Just as in the casting motion, it gets tougher as the rod gets loaded more. Smaller fish sometimes feel like they are beating you up on this rod because they are not getting down to the butt section. I've found that bigger fish are tamed just as well as with any broomstick rod because you're fighting them with the powerful lower end. Ever watch the profile of a rod with a big fish on? The top end is straight and doing nothing except pointing th way while the butt is doing all the heavy lifting. Under these loads the RPLXi is a tough rod on big fish. I've had no problem with big fish on the rod, but I did notice smaller fish feel big sometimes - not sure this is a bad thing. I've fished the RPLXi in all kinds of conditions and it's been my go-to rod. I am very pleased with my purchase and contend that the rod lives up to it's reputation 110%.

I recently cast Eddie's 4pc 9wt 9ft XP. It's a laser beam rod. You need to have crisp timing once again, but it is a feather light high-energy lightning stick. When (not if) I get mine and fish it hard, I will be able to give a better review - but at first glance I would say that it seems to have higher modulus, once again without being stiff.

I hate stiff flyrods. You end up doing all the work. A flyrod is a recoil machine, and stiff rods offer a small recoil window which requires a lot of weight to energize. When you combine those two factors, you are going to work hard all day and destroy your shoulder or elbow. Just as the line taper defines the unraveling of the loop on the water, the rod taper defines the progression of energy through the stroke. The RPLXi, although not a beginner rod, has that progression down to a science. It takes some folks a little trying to find the stroke but once you do it's happy to throw the whole line for you without much effort on your part.

You can't go wrong with either but you will have to find the stroke as with any rod.

Let me throw another one in the mix... the 10wt VPS 4pc Sage. I am building this rod, and cast the factory version the other day... It's the legendary RPL Sage blank in a travel config and as a 10wt it has a little more authority than the 9wt RPLXi in terms of lifting power yet is not stiff and I believe you could cast it all day long. Significantly less $ than the other two you mentioned too.

Can't wait to get the guides wrapped!

#3 ·
It all depends on what you are doing with the rod...

I own a 796 XP and can not wait to get my hands on the 896-3 RPLXi. The 796 XP is a dream to cast and fishes a dry line like no other rod but when throwing larger flies or more wind resistant flies, the light tip seems to lack the power (the same light tip that makes the XP such a pleasure a cast). This is where the 'Xi' is going to come into play for larger saltwater flies or when throwing big strike indicators and such for steelies. Plus the 'Xi' comes with two oversized stripping guides and a hidden hook keeper.

The XP is lighter then the 'Xi' and eventhough the ligh tip doesnt seem to handle large flies for me as well as I would like, it throws a 350 grain sinktip with ease.

But I am speaking based upon experiences with the #7's and #8's and not the #10 so take my advice with a grain of salt...

And do yourself a HUGE favor...stop by a reputible shop and cast both rods and only then will you really know which rod is right for you.

#4 ·
RPLxi vs XP

jborkowski:

You will definately have to take what I say with a grain of salt. I have cast almost everything in the Sage line with the exception of the larger weights (and the spey lengths);). In the lighter weight rods the action between the two is night and day. In the lighter weights the XP has a tip action that lends itself to tight loops and accurate casts. It is still a powerful rod by industry standards. The RPLxi is a progressive action rod. The blank will bend deeply for long, smooth, powerful casts. Like Juro said they are really two different rods with two different actions, for two different missions. Personally I wish they had made the SP+ in a 12 wt. I do think it probably says something that they only make the XP up to a 10wt though. Maybe its just marketing, or maybe the fishing conditions of the larger rods require a progressive action of an RPL blank. Although, I don't think anyone casting a 14 wt at a billfish is really worried about how tight a loop they make. They probably are looking for a rod they can fight the fish with.

John

#5 ·
10 WT GLX

Does anyone have experience casting both the RPLXI and Loomis GLX 10WT. I have cast both but am a beginning caster and am not sure if the differences I feel are my stroke or the rods. I will be using an 8wt Loomis GL3 for light wind days and light flies and will use the 10WT for the opposite. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

#6 ·
Sean

I have no experience with Sage rods but own both GLX and GL3 in 9wt. The difference between them sounds like the Sage model comparison.

GLX is a fast action / tight loop rifle. GL3 is softer - I'll probably use it for light wind conditions also but especially when fishing multiple flies (droppers).

#7 ·
Every one has offered good info, so I'll throw my opinion into the mix. I own the XP #10 and have fished the RPLXi #10 quite a bit. The XP is a little harder to cast not only because it demands better timing, but since the tip is nice and soft, it is easily over powered by the ham fisted or overly excited. This rod casts into the wind very well untill you get psyched out and lose your composure. I like this rod for a floating line. The soft tip loads quickly, so it is good for sight fishing(a perfect permit rod, good for false albacore too). The soft tip makes it maybe not the best choice for heavy shooting tapers.
As for the RPLXi, it is a very nice rod. It will do anything you ask of it, and do it better than most other rods(I think). It is easy to cast, and does equally well with all line types. It will cast a 400gr. AirFlow a mile...all day. As Juro said, the RPLXi's are surpriseingly good fish fighters. When I first fished them I complained. Then I learned how to fight a fish. The XP is no slouch in this department either. A 10# false albacore might not take you into the backing(I saw the backing twice in two days at Harkers last year, but I only caught 8 fish). Back to the RPLXi...If you could only have one 10 weight, I would go with that one.
I would also check out the T&T Horizon and Vectors. The Loomis GLX. The Scott STS and the Powel AXS. These are all good all around rods as well.
Cast and decide for your self.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.