Rhody IceBreaker... Melting with friends - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2002, 05:42 PM

Rhody IceBreaker... Melting with friends

Is in the books.... The second annual Rhody IceBreaker.

Great weather today produced a forum of 10 brothers of the long rod, who braved the elements. On hand were Doc Duprey and Adrian Sharp who probably gets the, traveled the furthest award. Brian Casey, Nick Svencer, Mike Doogue, Jeff B. all from MA. Locals like Sean McDermott, Steve DeNofa, and Todd from nearby Seekonk.

Small fish were cooperative at first light. All told maybe 6-8 fish were released in the first two hours. biggest had to go to Nick Svencer, who's fish may have been four pounds. I understand he had help though with fly selection. Don't know if that's legal or not. Brian showed us that he's not all CCA. Man that guy is smooth with the cast. He also had a few fish too.

Doc Duprey had one early release. Kept him from having fish stink on his hands.

Steve chimed in with a fish or two as expected. He almost lives down there so he knows the drill.

Scallop fish managed to hook, Sean, Mike and Jeff. Boy! can them shells fool ya! They feel like the real deal, when you first hook 'em.

Adrian was off clamming somewhere with his flatwings. Don't know what that's about?

Todd, bless his heart, improved his casting proficiency today. We've all been there my friend. Your cast lengthen as the day wore on.

We met for breakfast between tides. The rest went on to South County area to pursue the striped lines. Let me know how you guys made out.

The seasons off and running now. Wishing you the best season ahead with fish and tales.

Ray Stachelek

Last edited by RayStachelek; 04-20-2002 at 07:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2002, 06:24 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Ray,
Had an excellent time this morning. Always a pleasure fishing with you as well as the everyone else today. I still have your fly, I need to get you one for organizing this today.

Case, Adrian, Sean, Mike, Jeff, Todd, and I headed down to Charleston Breachway. I had never really fished the inside there, I usually favor Quonny. Man, all kinds of great structure that screamed out Kayaks and Moonlight. Unfortunately, no fish to be found there. We hung around watching some bait flicker in the current, but couldn't reach them with casts or see what was underneath them.

After a quick refreshment from Sean (thanks, I owe ya!), we cleared our heads and realized the only logical place to catch fish in ALL of RI was to head back to the Bridge. Mike and Jeff were hell bent on getting the stick off their back, and Sean was in pursuit of his first Striper. Packed up the cars again, and headed right back to where we started.

Sean managed to grab his first fly rod striper, although it wasn't the 30" fish he was expecting. :hehe: I grabbed another on this fly that I found on the end of my line with a little gold flash in it. The rains came and finally drove us away around 4:30. So I guess the score is now Fish 4; Jeff and Mike 0. You guys need to start driving seperately!!

Grego checked in at breakfast (I'm on the phone with him in the pic). After some home dentistry , he was off to check out Buttermilk Bay. How'd it go, Greg?

Another great day fishing with some old faces and new ones too, brought to me by the Forum. Now lets bring on some cows...
Old 04-20-2002, 06:40 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sounds like an awesome outing, wish I could have made it. There were several times throughout the day I thought of being down there. Let's see - when I woke up, when I got out of bed, whenever I breathed.... etc.

Nice to hear some fish were caught in addition to the good time.

WAIT... what's that I hear? Is that the sound of swishing tailbeats like restless native drums as hordes of linesiders large and small shift their biomass toward our home waters?

YAH BABAY!
Old 04-20-2002, 10:54 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Great start to the season!

Men,

It was truly a pleasure to fish, eat and share tall tales with you all today. Many thanks to Ray and Nick for coordinating this event.

I have that skunky smell all over me but that does not matter - it was a great day.

Nick and Jeff and Sean and I fished hard all day and it was a blast seeing Sean catch his first bass on a flyrod.

Sean - drop me an e-mail or a private message when you fish the Harwichport area this May and we can get together. I can show you around and take you to some great spots (Forum member hand me down bits of information now flowing from me to you!). Many thanks for the Gatorade and the bananas.

After returning to the Boston area Jeff and I hit some golf balls and tied some flies. Now I am home in NH and I am beat.

Lights out.

See you all again soon.

-Mike

Last edited by doogue; 04-21-2002 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:05 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Sean, if you read this, check out the announcements at the top of the thread. I think it may have some answers to your question about the forum hats.

nick
Old 04-21-2002, 09:48 AM
President of CAC

Sounds like a great time and a great get together and I do wish I could have been there...just trying to build up my chits for the coming months. See you guys soon.
Old 04-21-2002, 10:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to jborkowski
despite catching no fish...zero...zippo...zilch..notta...you get the idea, i thoroughly enjoyed getting out and seeing everyone.

highlight of the day for me was being there for sean's first striper on the fly...and Doc too if I'm not mistaken.

thanks Ray and Nick for taking the helm. although next time we need a bigger automobile processional, perhaps with a hearse leading the way. a hearse with oversand capabilities and rod holders that is

thanks Mike for the tieing lessons. i look forward to helping out on the archive. i already have a few new ideas about how to get the ultimate archive shots. more on this later...
Old 04-21-2002, 11:03 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Jeff - Did you get the Canon G2? I got my diving bell for the A40... 100 feet here I come!
Old 04-21-2002, 01:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to jborkowski
I did.

No waterproof housing...yet.
Old 04-21-2002, 04:15 PM
Flats Rat

Thanks Rayand Nick for pulling this one together and Slinger for sharing his local knowledge.

Great company, really interesting locations and plenty of local knowledge but the fish weren't cooperating.

I got a feeling Kenney Abrames heard we were coming and hid all the fish from us

Charlestown Breachway and Quonny is a definite "must get back with Kayak" spot - May full moon springs to mind
Old 04-21-2002, 07:24 PM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

Rhody Icebreaker...Melting in the NJ sun

Well, you guys sure know how to show a Newbie a great day on the water...even if the fish were less than enthusiastic!

Ray, my hat's off to you for organizing and showing us all such a great time. Slinger, if I can retain 10% of what you taught/showed me, I'll be the better fisherman for it! See you on the West Branch, I hope!

Nick, thanks for your share in organizing things. E-mail is a great tool for fisherman. Irt wqas a pleasure fishing with and learning from Brian Casey, Mike Doogue, Jeff and Todd, as well.

Adrian...nice job on those flatwings you showed me. Now I know how mine are supposed to look. Good luck on the Hudson...let us know how you make out.

Sean...way to go, man! Shoulda been there in stead of First Beach, where my string remained intact. I don't think my "long-distance release" really counts, in spite of the generosity of others. (Thanks Jeff. It was my first...but I hope far from my last!)

All I can say is that I hope my path crosses each of yours again...it was a great day!

Best regards,

Doc
Old 04-21-2002, 08:30 PM
President of CAC

Well Doc...all you need to do now is plan a trip to Chatham.... and fish with the those guys again and others who could not make it.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:05 AM

AHH !!, The blood once again flows thru my veins. The fish were not so cooperative, however, the friendships new and old are what keeps me coming back. It was great to get together with all of you and I look forward to alot more of the same, cept a little bigger fish!
Thanks guys, it's great to bring a newbie to this group, Todd just picked up the flyrod at the end of last season and you all showed him the Forum spirit.
Ray, your the best! Thanks Man
Old 04-22-2002, 02:37 PM

Sean,

Nice to meet you last week at the Rodder's meeting. Congratulations on your first striper. Best wishes for many more...

Paul Goscinski aka rockfisherman
Old 04-22-2002, 04:41 PM

It felt like we were running a school for striper fisherman Saturday.

As far as I'm concerned, you all got "A's in subject comprehension, "A" in effort, and an "A+" in conduct for being great guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.