New Product - Tungsten Impregnated Sheets for Tying Weighted Flies - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2002, 09:01 AM
_

Question New Product - Tungsten Impregnated Sheets for Tying Weighted Flies

Anybody heard of (or tried) this stuff yet? Rubber sheets impregnated with tungsten to use for tying weighted flies. Looks interesting. I may have to order some to give it a try.

http://www.ultimateflyfishing.com/sh...?catalogid=220

Coincidentally, this product is made by Stenzel (I just saw the post re: Stenzel Reels)

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2002, 08:48 PM

Tungston sheets

Quentin:

We used both tungston and lead sheets to build fly bodies with in competition. It seems as though we were using tungston a few years ago. A rep from FishyPete was in Sweden this year. They have introduced a new line of Bismuth fly bodies.

http://www.fishypete.net/home.asp

We tied some woven caddis larve with their new bodies and they worked really well. It saved all the time of building up a lead or tungston body prior to tying the fly. The commercial tiers are gonna love those.

All this new nuclear proton hyper drive carbon titanium impregnated electro-fusion stuff they keep coming out with, will have the fish just jumping out on the bank before to much longer.

John
Old 04-20-2002, 09:46 PM

Technology !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

Agree, to much dam technology aiding us FF these days. What advantages have we given the poor fish ?

Thanks for bringing the technology issue up, as it has been one of my issues in previous threads, check them out. BTW, hHave to remember to bring my portable side scan Hummingbird fish locator with me this week so I can just fish the pools and runs with steelhead. Somebody on this board said they actually saw a steelhead FF on a California river with that scanning the pool.

John, that may be something you want to apply in Arkansas for the big browns, they should show up very well on the scan.

"The day I do that is the day I end my fly fishing so help me god".

Hal
Old 04-20-2002, 09:54 PM

You're not trying

Hal:

I was thinking electro-fishing and C-4.

John
Old 04-20-2002, 11:25 PM

John,

Here is a true one for you. About 20 years ago when I was relocated to the mid west due to work, I began fishing the king salmon runs in Michigan. One of the first seasons, I ran into a couple of local country boys who told me the fishing was much better down river. I asked how they were fishing. They indicated they were throwing sticks of dynamite into pools filled with holding king salmon and picking the stunned and dead ones up down river from the hole. I beleived they were.

Some of these people in these poor counties depend on these fish to feed their families.

I am sure some of the local boys still do this. It has not changed much in those areas in the last 23 years. God I will be there in a little over 24 hours from now !!

Hal
Old 04-21-2002, 07:17 AM

Advanced fishing techniques

Hal:

I am pretty sure they still fish that way here. I flew into Little Rock from New York a few years ago. The pilot came over the speaker and said "Ladies and gentlemen, the weather in Little Rock this morning is partly cloudy and 68 degrees. The local time in Little Rock is Central time............1956......so set your watch back 40 years".

Our fish get snagged, roatinoned(spelling?), shocked, chummed, hearded, and I would bet if no one is looking I would bet dynamited. The Arkansas Game and Fish did a sting operation 4 years ago. They had undercover officers go to local guide shops and tell them they were rich Texans and would pay "big money" to catch a "trophy" trout. Even if it meant bending the rules. 99% of the local guides told them to take a flying leap. But those that didn't went wayyyyyy over board on what they were willing to do. I'll have to get some of those stories for you if you ever fish here. But, did you know that you can "spot light" trout?

John
Old 04-21-2002, 09:17 AM

John,

Spotlight trout ? Must be doing it in shallows at night and then spear them like they used to do in Michigan.

In Michigan the locals seem to fish at night during the peak runs and I am sure that is what they are doing for the schooled salmon and steelhead. There are certain pools they are always in. I found a cool Michigan salmon spearing fork about 15 years ago in the river bed. It had been there a while. Put in the garage intending to clean up some day and put in our family room on wall maybe. Well my lovely wife did her yearly garage cleaning and threw it out thinking it was junk.

Hal
Old 04-21-2002, 10:17 AM

Night fishing

Hal:

I can tell you what they were doing off line. I would be afraid to put it over the public forum because of potential copy cat's. The Arkansas Game and Fish listed the technique as a "defined threat" to the fishery. There is some speculation that some of our previous records may have been caught this way.

John
Old 04-21-2002, 10:35 AM
President of CAC

Remind me next year when I prepare my next top ten usless products list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.